1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Plastic Parts In 870's?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Darth Vader, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader TS Member

Plastic Parts In 870

Can someone tell me what's happening at Remington with their 870? My gunsmith tells me the new 870 is junk compared to my 1970 TB870 and that the new ones have some plastic parts! Are the new 870 Classic Traps still good guns? Thanks for any info you guys can furnish me. James Carpenter

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Fit and finish on a new 870 is obviously not as good as your 1970 TB. Few things are. As far as plastic parts go I can only think of the spring retainer in the tube, the plug you put in the tube, stock and forearm. Ask him for some specifics, if he isn't full of em he's probably full of it. They are still a great gun. Im not sure what else they could make out of plastics as far as internals. Take one apart, its easy enough and the main reason I love em.

Ive seen the 887 and I would agree with your gunsmith on that one, but don't know about plastics on the inside.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I wonder if he was talking about the Express. We had a lot of trouble with the hull hanging in the chamber. The slides are terrible, not smooth like the wingmaster. Jackie B.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The action bars aren't smooth because of their rough finish. They'll eventually wear in, and then look like crap.

The trigger housings are plastic. From the standpoint of lowering costs and uniform dimensions requiring less hand fitting, that's fine. From the standpoint of strength and ruggedness, I don't know. From the standpoint of plastic vs cast metal, neither is steel.

Ruger has gone to plastic for the 10-22 trigger housing, and it is surprisingly successful. Ditto for Mossberg 500 and 590 pumps (though the 590 has an optional aluminum housing). Go figure.

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

When I go into a gun any more, I don't look at the new stuff, I head for the used ones!

I don't of any firearm maker putting out great stuff when you put it up against what they used to make!

As long as some people have to have the latest and greatest(bling bling) they in turn wil trade in some very nice stuff! Their loss my gain!

6. Brian in Oregon

I tend to look for older guns as well. But the simple fact is, there aren't enough of them to go around for everyone.

Was visiting my gunshop buddy the other day. He showed me a new plastic S&W revolver. Ugh.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Pretty much ditto sir timberfaller!......Bob Dodd

8. timberfaller

Just in this last year, the store I visit the most, I've seen a dozen very clean Remington 700's in varying calibers on the shelf for $300-$450 most looked like new!

There been 870 galor! Why?? I could find nothing wrong with any of them! half of them had no marks at all on the loading gate! I picked up a Std Wt. 20 gauge Mag for $200, all the paint was still on the safty, not a ding on it.

Looked at some shotguns that were selling at $850 plus that were NEW, I snagged up that 870 as fast as I could!

Price WAS NOT the deciding factor, QUALITY was!

9. Brian in Oregon

I doubt the standard weight 20ga you picked up had screw in choke tubes, at least not factory ones. That's important to some people, especially hunters. They'd rather have one barrel instead of several. So they're going to pass up older fixed choke guns for newer ones. Screw in chokes were an important criteria when I was purchasing 1100s and 1187s for myself and the kids. I only have a couple of shotguns with fixed chokes.

10. shrek

shrek Active Member

I don't know if the new wingmaster has a plastic trigger assembly housing or a cast aluminum one like the old ones did or not. they do have the plastic magazine tube spring holder, ratchet for magazine cap part.

If they use the right plastic material we may never see a difference in performance.

I saw this response to a similar question on a different forum

"Interesting how if Remington puts a plastic trigger housing in the wingmaster or 11-87 it is "stupid remingtong going with cheap plastic parts...

but when Beretta puts the same in the 391 it is called an inovative use of polymer composite material"

11. Brian in Oregon

"Interesting how if Remington puts a plastic trigger housing in the wingmaster or 11-87 it is "stupid remingtong going with cheap plastic parts...

but when Beretta puts the same in the 391 it is called an inovative use of polymer composite material"

LOL, irony.

I was very skeptical when Ruger started making plastic 10-22 trigger housings. To the point where I was considering buying a couple of spares. Then I tried a new 10-22 my son's friend bought. The trigger, while not as light as my old 10-22T, was still very crisp with minimal creep. It was better than some lawyer inspired triggers on some bolt guns these days. And much better than most older field 10-22s with the aluminum housing. Ruger says the plastic housings do not need hand fitting of parts. This is because the old molds would wear out and cause dimensional differences. Plastic molds last a lot longer. Does this mean I like plastic? No. But on the other hand the original housing wasn't steel, either.

12. timberfaller

ya I understand the choke tube need, but I also found extra barrels off the internet so my choke tubes are 28 inches long instead for just a couple!

I can change barrels just as fast as changing tubes so I see the length of tube is only drawback.

When I am hunting I generally don't carry choke tubes if the gun I am carring uses them, I leave the rig with the choke I intend on using for the game I am after.

The only place I find myself changing out tubes is when I am at the club shooting.

You won't find std wts. with choke tubes, unless they were done aftermarket. If memory serves me right I think production ended around 1978 on the std. wt. 20's

13. maka

maka Member

About a year ago I purchesed a new Remington Classic Trap. There are no plastic parts in it. I own several older Remington's. The New Classic Trap I purchased is built gust as good as the older guns. This, "rumour" or advise is a bunch of Bull!!!!

14. porky

porky TS Member

Plastic is a cheap way of replacing metal. More durable, no I don't think so, wear as well, no I don't think so, stand up to impact, nope, can it be repaired, nope, but it is cheaper to make and assemble. Plastic was a blessing for the manufacturer to ensure parts wearing quickly and create a throw away marketplace. Remember when the auto manufacturers used to go to the junkyards to see what parts of their cars were not wearing out. Planned obsolesence I believe it's called.

15. timberfaller

The more things change the more they stay the same. is the old saying, I think

reason IMO for plastics, COST of manufacturing and demand. As a manufacturer, if you can produce an item for pennies and sell them for big bucks, wouldn't you?

Some people don't like carrying firearms that are going to rust, scratch, or warp when wet. Plastics fit that need.

Should plastic guns be cheaper? You bet, but when the demand is there, thats what sets the price.

Are they better? IMO not really, they just fill a need. Just like mine is for S&W's with 8 3/8 barrels, just can't get enough of them!!

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

so none of you guys have or had a nylon 66 or any of the remington nylon series gun. A lot of plastic for 60 year old technology. The polymers today are as tough as steel if not tougher. Many of the newer polymers designed for machine use are self lubricated.

I have a 870 express i purchased in 1988ish. been every where done everything
    I feel it is built just ase well as any 870. Refined fit and finish No way. It with a little care and a tad of flitz polish in the high contact points of the rails and its smooth as silk.
    I have looked at the newer models and olny see some really crappy looking wood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

870 no plastisc parts

are their any plastic parts ona remington 870

remington 870 more plastic parts
remington 870 plastic parts