1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Plastic in chokes, patterns, before-and-after?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

From what I read, many thinking plastic build-up in chokes from wads causes and degradation of patterns. Has anyone conducted a valid before-and-after (clean choke verus coated coated choke) test of this? If so, what did you find?

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I very much doubt anyone knows. The problem is, of course, that it's so much easier just to clean the gun than spend hours evaluating patterns. Given the choice, who wouldn't opt for the former?

Neil

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Very easy to make or buy the tube brush. You can clean them without even taking them out of the gun if you want to but, I prefer to take them out. I would thing you'd have to have one hell of a build up of plastic. And you might find that alittle build up may pattern better. I would not rule that out.

4. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I doubt there has ever been a bird missed due to a plastic build up. Todays shells and chokes are far superior to the early days.

5. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Many, many years ago I ran a pattern test to learn if I really needed to clean chokes. Didn't clean the gun for 3 - 4 months, shooting every weekend. Re-ran the pattern test with the same lot of shells as the original pattern run. Pattern percentage dropped 10% and the hole count (uniformity) increased to the point where you could drive a semi through the holes.

I now scrupulously clean the barrels before any important event.

- - Bill

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

BunkerGuy - "Didn't clean the gun for 3 - 4 months, shooting every weekend. Re-ran the pattern test with the same lot of shells as the original pattern run. Pattern percentage dropped 10%"

That's the kind of info I was looking for. Anybody else.

Niel Winston - Good point. I certainly don't want to go thru the bother of patterning if somebody already did that drudgery. But not even bothering to clean them is even easier.

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I too clean a barrel before a big event, but with my non-choketube Parazzis I hardly get anything at all out. I got one of those rods which use plastic pan-scrubber strips and it takes - what - two minutes? And who knows, it may work.

Neil

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've never managed to get enough of any kind of build up to change a pattern.. The only thing I ever did that showed a pattern change was a number of tight rubber bands placed around the barrel to change the harmonics.. How and why..I do not know.. but I saw almost a 3% shift from the outter core to the inner core when the bands were in a certain position.. 2" to 3" either way.. and the pattern returned to normal..
    My longest run of not cleaning a barrel is 500 rounds on my POI test of the Hastings barrel.. 500 rounds.. non stop.. with POI shot every 25 rounds..First and last pattern looked very,very,similar.. I did not do a pellet count.. but I did look for any open spots in the pattern.. They were all similar in appearance.. first to last with the exception of 2 I jerked the trigger and shot to a different POA.. so I reshot correctly.. and kept going..

9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I could name a hall of fame sporting clays shooter than breaks 80-100 yard targets with chokes that are NEVER cleaned. I will stick with the original assessment. No targets get missed because of plastic build up.

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Bad.. I think that is a safe assumption.. I do think some barrels might rust and pit from poor cleaning habits..

11. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

No doubt about that PB as i have one. A 30" 303 barrel that was never cleaned around the thread area and it is pitted bad. Beretta checked it out and sent it back and said no fatigue problem so i have been shooting it for the last five years with no issues. That is what i was getting at,is cleaning is necessary but not for pattern reasons.

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

When I'm 2 lazy to clean a barrel that I'm shooting the next day.. I at least spray it down.. inside and out with WD40.. The first shot the next day will remove any plastic.. if there was any.. I shoot mainly DR wads.. and don't remember the last time I saw plastic deposits.. Promo leaves a little soot behind.. but nothing more..

13. abiezer

abiezer Guest

fabulous shooter at our club been shooting the same barrel from the 60's,
    (around 40 years we're talkin),and says he has "never" cleaned the barrel.
    This is not a joke, true fact..
    And still ink balls em.

14. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Sounds like someone doesn't want to clean his gun, and is looking for a reason not to!

AndyH :-{

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I went out one day for a serious doubles practice session. I shot 250 pair of 20ga though my kolar w/ tubes (claybuster wads), and by the time I was done, there was at least .020" worth of buildup in each choke. I imagine that would have some effect on the pattern. I'd rather have a gun that I knew where it shot when the chokes were clean, then be able to replicate those conditions (clean barrels and chokes) every time I shot, instead of shooting with chokes with plastic buildup, as the internal profile of your choke will be constantly changing as plastic builds up, melts, breaks away, ect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.