1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

plastic in bore

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jerry noice, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerry noice

jerry noice TS Member

I know that this has probably been discussed many times here but what is the best way to remove wad residue from barrels?
    Thanks

2. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

000-steel wool wrapped around a bronze brush, covered with Kroil and a drill motor.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

shoot down range wads you wont have that problem

4. southpark

southpark TS Member

Let WD40 soak in and then even a bore snake will wipe it right out.

5. bigben

bigben Active Member

Red's homemade bore cleaner, recipe on some threads here incinerate em!

6. bigben

bigben Active Member

Red's homemade bore cleaner, recipe on some threads here incinerate em!

7. m70win

m70win Member

This stuff works real good. Brownells wad and barrel solvent. I couldn't get the exact page to post so you'l have to do the search yourself.

Tim

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Dunno if I ever saw 'plastic in the bore.' I've seen plastic on my screw-in chokes, but I don't recall plastic on my fixed chokes.

I had a friend that stopped by a stand of a snake oil salesman at a major shoot. This dude's snake oil would remove 'plastic in the bore.' To prove it he would ask his victims to produce what they thought was a 'clean barrel'. He would then spray some of his snake oil down the barrel, wait a few, then run a brush. By Golly, threads and gobs of 'plastic' would come out. The victim, my friend, bought some.

Delighted with his purchase, he hunted down all his friends to demonstrate the the power of his new elixir. Same drill, same results.

But he ran out of untreated barrels to use for demonstrations, so he used a barrel that had already been cleaned. Dog Gone, out came the 'plastic.' Well, somebody asked, if that barrel was already cleaned, why did more plastic come out? Hmmm?

Then somebody thought to look down the barrel after some of the snake-oil had been sprayed down and 'left to soak.' Aha! Look close! The snake-oil was leaving a coating on the bore. And when followed by a brush, out it came.

The 'plastic' was not plastic, but snake-oil residue.

Next.

Believe it, or not.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Acetone is a plastic solvent. It's the main ingredient in your wifes nail polish remover. So if you are looking for some to use on your bore brush you know where to find it. HMB

10. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

How do you know where the plastic comes from if you always start cleaning from the breach and go through the choke? Bore or choke, there is plastic in it.

Any solvent, if left in the gun barrel to "work" and followed by scrubbing, will remove it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.