1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Plastic in barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Hi, What is the easiest product/procedure for removal of plastic streaks inside barrel without danger of staining or damaging the blueing if it contacts the exterior surfaces? I would like to find something that would desolve and remove the plastic without excessive scrubbing. Has anyone used Acetone or MEK?

Thanks, Marc

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

A couple of soakings with Ed's Red or just straight acetone will do the trick. Follow up with a bronze brush in a cordless drill.

Kiv

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I've always had good luck with Kroil. Get it good and wet, leave it soak for a while, and hit it with a brush. Comes out in strings. Wayne

4. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Kroil is the best of the best!

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Stop using Claybuster wads. No more plastic!!

Jim Skeel

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

If you can get some Sweet's Solvent made in Australia it is the best I have seen for removing plastic from the barrel. I seem to get plastic buildup from factory shells as much as I do reloads and I use Claybusters.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Mineral spirits work well too and is cheap and available at any hardware store.

Remember to coat the bore with light oil after you get it clean.

8. 257 ackley

257 ackley Member

Butch's Bore Shine and a Tornado Brush....Follow up with Rem Oil.....

Shawn

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I think the profile of a choke has more to do with plastic buildup than the wads. Chokes that are short and/or have lots of parallel have steeper tapered sections and that scrubs plastic from wads pretty agressively. I've had chokes that accumulated plastic from all kinds of wads and chokes that didn't collect any from all kinds of wads.

Ed

10. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I think the surface finish within the choke has more to do with plastic buildup than the brand or type of wad used.

I have used Claybuster wads for nearly 30 years in an 1100,, a super-x1, two BT99's, a BT100 and now an SKB. With identical load recipes used in all, the BT-100 and the SKB are the only guns that have had plastic buildup problems. Coincidentally, they are the only ones with screw-in chokes. I've lapped the chokes in the SKB, so far that seems to have helped.

Kiv

11. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Please do yourself a favor and stop using solvents on plastic -- just get one of Bob's Plasti-Grabber stainsess steel brillo pads and attach some of it to a bore brush and you will be amazed at how clean the barrel comes out with just a few brushings -- once you have tried it you will never go back to any solvent. available at www.targetshotguns.com. the beav

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Mineral sprits is all you need.. and a little fine steel wool on a split dowel stick in a drill.. After a while.. the steel wool will polish the barrel and plastic fowling will be reduced..

13. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

WD40 works also.
    Regards, Pete

14. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'm a Claybuster fan and one of Kroil. Kiv-c is right on the money with the polishing. I have the luxury to be able to polish my tubes at work. This made all the difference with Browning factory tubes. I've experienced very little build up in my Beretta tubes.

Polishing with crocus cloth has worked good for me. But can't say I've had any real big problems removing plastic with a bronze bore brush either.

Elbow grease I guess.

15. MIDDLE50

MIDDLE50 TS Member

Downrange wads

16. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Stainless steel pot scrubbers work well in getting the plastic out of the bores. Put a piece around an old bronze brush and scrub it out. As stated above polishing the bore with 0000 steel wool reduces the tendency to build up plastic in the bore.

17. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

Never had any trouble with Downrange but Claybuster was a different story. The photo shown only happened to me one time during the Colonial Classic weekend in PA a few years ago. Claybuster was kind enough to send me some replacement wads.

Dale

[​IMG]

18. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Marc,

Yes acetone and MEK work very well, but don't get it on the wood. It will really blemish the finish.

Just dip a barrel swab into the MEK or acetone and wipe the inside of the barrel from top to bottom.. Wait 5 minutes and pull a bore-snake through and no more plastic build-up.

Make sure to oil the barrel good, inside and out, afterwords to keep from rusting.

ss

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Just about any good non polar solvent will work fine (acetone, xylene, MKT, carbon tetrachloride, petroleum ether, paint thinner, etc.) I do not like the idea a scrubbing my barrel with steel products that are harder than the barrels. I use a brass brush. If you add a bit of kerosene to the solvents they will tend to stay in place in the barrel and work on the plastic.

Dale- Thanks for the picture. That is excessive plastic build up. I find it interesting that a wad will do that is some barrels and not do it in other barrels. Average Ed (mean and average are the same terms) has the only suggestion I know about that might explain this.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.