1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Plastic Fouling

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gross Man, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

I have what looks like plastic fouling about 3/4 down the barrel of my Citori. I have tried to clean it with Shooters Choice, but it is not going away easily. Any recommendations on product or method to clean it out? Thanx, Bill

2. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"I have what looks like plastic fouling about 3/4 down the barrel of my Citori. I have tried to clean it with Shooters Choice, but it is not going away easily. Any recommendations on product or method to clean it out?"</blockquote>

I have the same thing in mine. I Showed it to Laurance Pylinski (former Browning service tech) at the Penna. State shoot last year and he indicated that it was not uncommon to see surface markings in this area of the barrel and that it was cosmetic and would not effect performance.

I then called Joel Etchen (whom I bought the gun from) and explained the condition to him and he indicated the same thing...that the barrel surfaces of the newer Citoris tended to become etched in an area beginning about 14 inches in from the breech.

Mine has developed a uniform area of etching along an area about 4 inches long beginning about where Etchen indicated that covers the bore surface of the barrel. It begins and ends abruptly like a ring with the bore being like glass on either side of this etching. It hasn't effected my gun's performance and I put about 800 rounds a week through it. I DO clean the bores as soon as I come in from shooting with Ed's Red and Shooter's Choice and have always done so. I use a 16-gauge chamber brush (6 inches long) to scrub the bore and coat it with Clenzoil when I'm done.

I doesn't appear to be getting any worse or expanding so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Mike

3. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Mike - Did Laurance or Joel discuss having it polished out by a gunsmith, or is there another way to correct the problem? I just think this should not happen on a quality gun that is properly maintained. Thanx, Bill

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Wrap the bore brush with 0000 steel wool and see if that helps. If that doesn't work use some JB bore paste on a tight fitting cleaning patch. HMB

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

put your cleaning rod in a drill, wrap some fine (000) steel wool around the cleaning brush, you don't need much, soak in Shooters choice and polish the bore, do it slowly so as not to heat up the barrel, if it is plastic, you will remove it, take your time and go slow however.

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"Did Laurance or Joel discuss having it polished out by a gunsmith, or is there another way to correct the problem? I just think this should not happen on a quality gun that is properly maintained."</blockquote>

Laurance said that, yes, he could polish the bore and probably remove most of the etching but he would have to take the barrel back to his shop in Virginia to do it and then ship it to me when he was done. He indicated, however, that he could not guarantee that the same thing would not happen again. I intend to have him clean my action at this year's State shoot so I'm have him look at it again.

I had John Allem look at the bore as well. His son measured the bore from end to end with a bore guage and it showed the bore to be absolutely dead-straight with NO movement in the gauge needle at all as it passed through the area. He also indicated that the area could be removed by honing but cautioned me that the Citoris are already over-bored to .740" and that he considered .745" to be the absolute maximum for a 12 gage bore. His point was that honing and polishing would probably bring the bore diameter very close to that.

I have, from curiosity, tried wrapping 0000 steel wool around various things and running that in the area on a drill. No effect. I've made a polishing head and run it into the bore with Flitz polish to see it that would do anything. No change. So, as I said, I keep the bore clean and I don't worry myself with what it looks like.

Mike

7. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Thanx everybody for the sage advice. I will try doing what Mike did, but I suspect I will have the same result. My next step will be to call Browning and see what they say. Bill

8. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Bill,

I might mention that I've also discussed the condition with both the local gun shops I deal with and both the dealers have told me that they've seen that same condition in barrels other than Brownings, and both of these dealers move a LOT of guns. That's one of the reasons I can't get too worked up over it. Laurance Pylinski is/was a Borwning authorized service provider and he did not seem to think that it was something Browning would volunteer to correct, but please let me know what you find out.

Mike

9. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Mike - Thanx again, I will let you know how things turn out via this thread. I am sure what you were told is correct, but I am worried that it might get worst, attract moisture and possiably cause corrision. That's why I want to yank Browning's chain. - Bill

10. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Mike, hmb, Frank, & Hooptied - I tried the Shooters Choice (leaving it in for a while) and the JB bore polish with my variable speed (slow) drill. I now have a very clean/bright barrel with the marks still there. Mike's diagnosis was correct. I am sure this is not a problem with shooting the gun, but I would still like it gone. I plan to call Browning to see what they say, but I will probably want to have a pro polish the marks out. Any recommendations on a good barrel guy? Thanx, Bill

11. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

X-factor,

I first noticed the marks after cleaning, I think they must have been created from shooting.

Bill

12. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

The million dollar question I want to know is What type of Citori is this?
    thanks,
    4andy10

13. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

4andy10 - It is a Sporting Golden Clays 28" barrel, purchased in 1995. What is the import of that? Thanx, Bill

14. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

I don't see any mention of what kind of ammunition any of you are shooting. Some brand of shells and some components create more fowling. Have any of you considered that?

15. southpark

southpark TS Member

Let WD40 soak in and brush out.

WD40 works like magic on plastic fouling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

725 citori plastic fouling