1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Plastic Fouling in barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hank55, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hank55

Hank55 Member

How or what is the best method to clean out plastic build-up in a barrel. Is there one product that works the best for dissolving it?

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Acetone. nasty stuff, though.

Then once its clean, start using Downrange wads.

3. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Brake fluid, copper brush and a cordless drill. A used shell in the gauge of the gun your working on with a hole for the cleaning rod drilled where the primer used to be.Screw brush on end of rod stick shell in chamber and rod through the hole in the shell, attach cleaning rod to cordless drill and have brake fluid in a spray bottle to squirt into the end of the barrel. Move drill back and forth will spinning, apply brake fluid as needed. Take shorter rod section to clean chamber after used casing is removed. Patch dry apply a cleaning fluid on patch "stroke" a few times and look at the shine.

Take care not to get brake fluid on wood.

4. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Cut a little stainless pot scrubber and wrap it around a copper brush. Works great and no drill needed

5. Wyogoose

Wyogoose TS Member

I use copper "Chore Boys". They clean just as well when wrapped around the brush but a lot easier on the barrel. People say the stainless will not hurt but why chance it when the copper is just as available?

6. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I use Brake cleaner and a nylon bore brush. If you choose to use Brake cleaner make sure your stock or forearm are not close because it will affect the wood finish. Do not get it on the wood. Darrell

7. Troutslayer

Troutslayer TS Member

Pro-Shot One Step Cleaner works fantastic

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I'll second what timb99 stated. I made the mistake of reloading with cheap wads a few years ago, never agian. I either use Remington or Downrange wads and nothing else.

ec90t

9. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

carb cleaner $2.50 a spray can and you don't even need a brush,,the gooo just runs out the end of the barrel,, remove your forearm wood first,,

10. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

BoreTech makes a good product for that called Shotgun Blend.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

fred- Most break cleaners and carb cleaners are acetone.

I have the following solvents in my shop, all work well and some can be harmful: Paint Thinner, Xylene, Toluene, Acetone, Carbon Tetrachloride, Petroleum Ether and Tri-chloral-ethylene. Please do not invite the EPA to visit me.

In terms of safety, availability and price, xylene cut with just a little kerosene might be the best. Give due warning to any mice that might live in your cleaning area. Xylene can, after long exposure, cause several forms of cancer in mice. There is no data showing it causes cancer in shooters.

Pat Ireland

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Years ago Shotgun Sports magazine sold a long rod with a steel wire brush attached.

I put the barrel in the gun vice, and with a high speed air drill run it through the barrel. I do not use any cleaning fluid at all... maybe a shot or two of WD40. Works for me in my Perazzis.

Whiz

13. sbhced

sbhced Member

Pat,
    Does that mean you should get very small MSDS sheets for mice to read?

Do they need to be bilingual?

Ed

14. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Magic elixer of 1/3 Kroil and 2/3 Shooter's Choice bore cleaner. Run a wet patch through the bore (get the bore good and wet), let it sit for a half hour then a few passes with the bronze brush and then a pass or two with a damp patch (same stuff). You'll be amazed at the crud you get out.

For effect, clean your bore your regular way first (get it shiny) then try the above...I was shocked at what came out.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Two approaches to cleaning plastic from barrels have been posted above. One requires only physical abrasion and the other involves abrasion with a solvent that will soften the plastic. A bit of oil can be used as a carrier for the solvents, but oil is not a solvent. I prefer using solvents along with the abrasion. That is the best way to get little black spots on your clothes.

Pat Ireland

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Shooters Choice and wrap a little bit of steel wool (0000) around your bore brush. Use a electric drill. A few passes and the bore will look like new.

17. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The best I ever found was a product called Free-Gunn Cleaner in an 8 oz spray bottle sold by a company out of Clay Center, Kansas that I picked up at the Grand years ago. It was said to contain petroleum distillates but seemed more like a soap solution and would not harm the wood finish. Sprayed into the barrel it would lift the plastic which would then come out in strings leaving a very shiny clean barrel. Does anyone know if it is still available?

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We all like our shotgun bores to be mirror shiney but I have always wondered just what effect that nasty plastic buildup has on patterns. How about it Mr. Ireland, ever test this variable?

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

ou.3200- Free Gunn cleaner is no longer available. Frenchie died a few years ago. The stuff was different. It was a water miscible cleaner that required a lot of shaking and then some time to work, but it did work. At one time I knew the active ingredient but that information is now lost somewhere in my head.

Pat Ireland

20. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

When using Remoil, a brass brush, and a cordless drill, be mindful of where your cat is sleeping when the brush comes out through the choke. Cats don’t take apologies very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
clean plastic shotgun barrel

plastic shotgun barrel fouling