1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Plastic fatgue or base wad migration

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

I load just about any shell that I shoot.Last night I developed a problem with wht Winchesters.Settings on loader still the same,hoever several shells dimpled?(lack of other word to use)half way in shell.After unloading them I noticed these dimples were at the point of wad were they are the thinnest.A couple shells I openrd from the end,puored out the shot,then pulled on wad with pliers.That's when I noticed a definete catch,or resistance as the base of the wad cleared dimples.With that I was worried about excess pressure so I unloaded all the rest.Eye balling the base wads you coundn't really determine if they had migrated.Thus my question,is it possible the side pastic of the shells has gotten fatigued,especially on the ones that I know were loaded maybe 3 times or so.The only other shells that did this were once fired super lites.Other winchesters loaded fine.Shouls of gotten pics,but I don't like letting anything sit around that could be mistakenly used when there's a defect.Also noticed,some older Estates are starting to show a slight bulge near the metal base,that said they'll be trashed this time after shot.Estaes still fit in gun.Guess it's time to buy a few New shells to start reloading.

Doug H.
  2. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

Doug, It sounds like you are crushing the hull with too much pressure. Does your crimp die apply any taper? Back completely off on the taper, apply none.
  3. hmb

hmb Active Member

You will never have that problem with Remington Gun Clubs, get rid of the cheap Winchesters. HMB
  4. dhip

dhip Active Member

John,I don't believe it's the pressure.If you look at the crimp.it's really not as deep as it should be,but acceptable.Other winchesters loaded just fine,,these were at the bottom of the barrel so to speak,wanted all my unloaded shells loaded.It's a Mec 9000G,and I've been loading 3yrs. now and just wanted to sort things out a little.As I said in post,most were shells that have been loaded 3 times or so ,except for thw Winchester Super Lites.LOL,all else fails,I'll just load Green shells.I'll try backing off the taper the next time I load the RED shells.

Doug H.
  5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Not so fast HMB. I have seen the GC separate from the steel base and lodge in the shooters barrel.

Bryan
  6. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

Doug, not sure about Mec but on my PW the crimp die has two adjustments. One for he depth of crimp and one for the taper. I have had zero problem loading the AA since I completely backed off the taper. The taper adds pressure on the hull.
  7. rollnblock

rollnblock TS Member

you didnt say what machine you are loading on. Hornaday makes a new die for the winchesters without the taper. after changing my 366's to this die i havent crimped any(except for inital setup) If you have a hornaday get the new die. or as everyone else has said back off the taper die. also you can go to the winchester wads. they are tapered on the bottom to fit inside the base wad.
  8. dhip

dhip Active Member

Last post says Mec 9000g ,I don't believe it has a taper adjustment.I was using claybuster clones for winchester.

It's the first time in 3yrs. of loading having the problem.I'll just chalk it up to old shells and won't try reloading superlites .

Doug H.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.