1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

plastic buildup in chamber right at end of hull?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Anyone experienced this before. Not really sure whats causing it, but I get a little buildup of plastic right where the wad first hits the bore, in a perfect circle. Its actually just a bit BEFORE the forcing cone. Seems to be worst w/ Rem TGT-12 factory wads, not quite as bad w/ the downrange clone of the TGT-12. Seem to remember having very little if any buildup shooting factory Gun Clubs. Forcing cones are well polished, and when the chambers are cleaned, there's no visible reason why plastic should be building up there, such as roughness or anything along those lines. Gun is .750 bore kolar, and i get exactly the same buildup in both barrels. I'm loading 1oz @ 1200 fps w/ Alliant ClayDot, so its not like its a super hot load or anything. Guess I could try some flitz on a mop w/ a hand drill, or just switch wads, but I would like to know if there are any other possible causes, esp since i'm using premium wads, which should be LESS likely to cause buildup.

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Acetone will melt it out, you do not have to scrub and polish every time.

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I use the same wads as you do in my Kolar .750 bore Max T/A and I do see a little more plastic buildup in the same area as you do. I never thought it was a big deal. I just clean it out after every use and it shines like a chrome bumper. With that said, what I am seeing in my barrel is far from excessive and more like hardly at all. If you want to see a lot of plastic build up, try some clay buster wads. Believe me, after that you will love Downrange.

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Don't know if this helps but my K80 barrels with 2 3/4" barrels don't do what you describe but the one barrel I use for skeet is 3" and it does exactly the same as you describe. What chamber length is your gun just out of curiosity? I wonder if that has anything to do with it as the wad has an extra 1/4" before getting to the forcing cone.

5. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Obtain or mix up some Ed's Red, then swab the bore and let it set for 15 minutes or so. The acetone in it will soften and dissolve the plastic residue, making it easy to remove with a bronze brush.

Better yet, cut off an old cleaning rod to use in an electric drill and a bronze brush. Cleans up any bore and will not harm it in any way!

Kiv

6. porky

porky TS Member

Nothing melts plastic. Acetone and Ed's Red act as a lifting agent to get between the plastic and the steel. The only thing that melts plastic is fire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.