1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

plastic build up and affect on shot.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

More and more I find myself aware of little things when shooting and cleaning my guns. My question is, I noticed when cleaning my wifes IM choke the build up of plastic was more on the top of the choke and almost end to end. I took the time to mark location before removal. On my chokes it seems to be very even but heaviest at the threaded ends. They are both Browning invector plus factory flush mount. Both IM . her gun a gold sporting. Mine a ultra xt. My big Question is why is there no where close to the same bulid up in the barrel?
    My next step is to change chokes from gun to gun and see if build up is the same.

2. IM390

IM390 Member

There should only be a large build up where the wad is constricted(ie choke) to the greatest extent as it travels out the barrel. Also as the wad exits the change of air pressure will also have an affect on the wad to barrel contact.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

your wife's choke is not concentric or concentric with the bore. That's why more plastic on one side than the other.

Your choke show a lot of buildup near the threads because Browning and Beretta both make the skirt and tapered portion of the chokes large enough so that they will work safely in any bore. What that means to you is you don't have much of an effective tapered section, and your patterns are likely to suffer.

My Beretta Optima chokes showed plastic buildup just before the parallel section. When I replaced them with Briley chokes, the plastic buildup began just above the skirt. I also got better patterns, not necessarily higher in OE, but definitely bore even.

If I ever get another gun with choke tubes, I'll have new tubes custom made of barrel steel and custom fit to my bore.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

These are factory tubes. I,m thinking fixed choke and no porting on my next gun. Unless as stated get those tubes custom fitted.

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Always worth switching to the Brileys. Extended ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.