1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PLasma Samsung PN58A650 Info needed

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ric3677, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I am finally getting around to buying a TV the wife promised me for Christmas.
    This tv has gotten my attention. Any comments?

Thanks for your time....Rick in Mt.

2. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

You will not go wrong with Samsung with their revolutionary technology. They are the pacesetters in LCD and Plasma along withPioneer but Pioneer is higher end and more money. Samsung has bold colors, great clarity and clear images. I weould not worry about burn in today s tech has come long way with over 100,000 hour panel life. Buy the Samsung and don't look back. I have two Samsungs and a Pioneer and buying another Samsung for my place in Utah.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The Samsung PN58A650 is a great selection, although a bit expensive and heavy. It's design is a year or so old, so I'd be looking for a closeout deal sometime soon. They don't keep the models alive for too long these days. The newer plasma units don't have the display deterioration like the older units once did. They used to last about 4 or 5 years before the picture became dimmer and washed out. The burn-in is no longer a big issue either. They are really going to LCD units these days, simply because of cost and efficiency. Plasmas run hot and it's a lot of energy wasted. Plasma displays are still a good value since they will last longer than they once did. This particular unit is actually about the top of their line for a 58" display. They can be found for less than $2000 these days. That's quite a bit less than the first smaller displays not that many years ago.

4. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Quack is right on!

5. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I glanced at the specs, here:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/detail/spec.do?group=tv&type=tv&subtype=plasma&model_cd=PN58A650T1FXZC&fullspec=F

It doesn't mention refresh rate, so I presume it's 60Hz (120Hz would result in smoother motion). Its power consumption is 550 watts, about right for that size 1080p plasma set. An LCD would be more efficient, but you get true blacks with a plasma set, and yeah it makes a difference.

As already mentioned, newer plasma sets are less prone to burn-in, and Samsung has what they call "Anti Burn-In Technology". [shrugs] Nevertheless, all plasma manufacturers will tell you in the manual that the "break-in" period is about 100-200 hours, during which you should set brightness and contrast at recommended *break-in* levels and avoid any stationary images. (Like a computer desktop if you use the TV as a monitor for an HTPC, or a DVD player on pause, etc.).

It wouldn't hurt if you download the "Break-In" DVD image at the link above. Just burn the image to disc, and play the DVD on your new plasma TV. It's in 16:9 aspect ratio that will fill the screen. It's a continuous series of solid color gradients. You can read more about it at the link above, also there are links from there to the AVS forums and further info about plasma TVs.

Samsung has a good reputation. Good luck.

6. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

PN58B650 is the model you want to look for. I had a problem with an old Sony and the warranty by a major retailer. The head salesman was told to take care of my situation. They had the PN58A650 and the PN58B650 there. He said for the money the B650 had more and better features. They are more adjustable and therefore a better picture on them. That is the one that the salesman had purchased for himself. We have had the TV for six months now. Has to have the best picture of any set that I have ever seen or had. Hands down better than the Sony we had and I am a Sony fan.

7. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Go with LCD, and never look back.

8. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Yeah, from the specs the PN58B650 looks like a better set. It has 600Hz "sub-field motion", blah blah. What that means is the refresh rate is 10x better and there will be much less jerkiness to panning/motion scenes. That's the only really important difference I spotted from a brief look at the specs. Of course, if the PN58A650 is cheap enough....

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You could also go for the PN58B860, but what do you really get for all the extra money? Like I said, shop around and look for a closeout. The PN58A650 looks like the best deals are around $1700, the PN58B650 around $2100, and the PN58B860 is up around $2600. By the way, it's very hard to tell just what the differences are, since there are some glaring discrepancies reported on the specs provided by Samsung. The best I could make out is that there are some extra daylight settings and a woofer in the top models. Shipping is also pretty costly, since these things weigh almost 150 lbs. Wonder if it will fit in a priority mail flat rate box. :)

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

plasma is the only way to go They are heavy so a wall mount is pricy. But the best part you can see the picture at 170 degrees Lcd about 45 You can clean the screen with windex too. They are a little warm.I looked at the samsung and sony Then I looked at Panasonic. The panasonic came home It lasted about 10 hrs and died. Took it back and got floor model. Its been great for over a year

11. drh08

drh08 TS Member

If thinking Samsung LCD, research the model. We have one and after 1.5-2 years the capacitors go bad in the power supply inside. A quick search on the web for start up clicking noises will Samsung LCD TV tells you it's a rather common. Cheap fix if you can do it yourself, probably not so cheap to have someone else do it. Samsung is a top performer, but was very disappointed with this issue. TV is out of warranty and Samsung says sucks being you.

12. otnot

otnot Active Member

I spend a month reading forums and consumer reports before deciding on a Panasonic plasma. AVS forum is a great place to start.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a 52" Vizio plasma. Good TV in all respects but they do use a lot of energy and put out a lot of heat. If I were to do it again, I would spend the extra for LCD. Samsung was my first choice but I bought the Vizio for $300 less. Not knocking the Plasma because I like it and especially being able to view it from any angle, it just gets hot and uses power, otherwise it is great

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Rick....we just bought a Samsung series 6 46" LCD...love it....especially in High Def...didn't really consider a plasma as we'd had excellent service from our Panansonic 32" LCD....good luck on your search. Are you coming up for the Canadian Championships in Calgary?

Ron

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Love my 52 incher. Too freaking heavy, but a great set.

16. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Ron, I have yet to make the plunge on the passport that is required. Thanks for the reminder. I will have to talk with the wife and have her get everything out I need. Then I just have to take the time to go in.

I doubt it will be ready in time.

I do plan on the shoot in Med Hat in Sept. Had a great time the last time I was there.

Thanks to all that have responded. The more I look the more confused I become. It's not like I spend that much time in front of the Boob-tube, in the summer anyway.

Rick in Mt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

samsung model pn58a650 energy guide