1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

plan on changing action springs anf pins on my XT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I plan on video taping the project. I just got a new video camera. How would one post a video. Should I put it on memory card or directly into pc?

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

John, maybe break it up using a digi cameras video feature, small excerpts just catching the high points..... if it is too large, upload to youtube....don't ask me how tho

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

John, I may have to replace these parts on my Ultra XT too after today, had two misfires (barely dimpled the primer).....FC

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Check the attached website, I believe you may find it of interest.

Robert

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

what the heck is an action spring?

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Gary, action springs, hammer springs, mainsprings. The little springs on that toss the strikers into the pins. I also plan to do the top lever release spring. Robert that helps on the firepins.

7. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Maclellan1911, I shot two rounds with AA hulls loaded with Fiocchi primers, and no problems with the J&P Custom hammer springs. Now I will have to try Top gun or Estates with Fiocchi primers. 10Tenner

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Yes I plan on J&P springs also.

9. BMC

BMC Member

Mac, you will want to video the process in good lighting and probably on a tripod will be best. If your camera records to both digital tape and card as options, you will generally get better reproduction from tape. If you are using Windows, just plug your camera into the computer via the firewire cable it should have came with. Windows should recognize the camera and open up Windows Movie Maker. If not, simply locate the WMM program, open it, and then click on Capture Video. Follow the instructions in the menu which will begin the download process. Once the file (your video) has been completely uploaded to your computer you will see a series of Clips. You can drap each clip into your storyboard found at the bottom of the screen. You most likely will want to shorten the entire video sequences up. To do that you can grab either end of the clip in the storyboard and shorten it from either end. Or find a position in the clip and hit Ctrl-L to split the clip. You can move the clips around in any order you want. There is a time line at the top of the storyboard that shows you how long your video will be. You will want to keep it as short as possible. For YouTube you have to keep it under 10 minutes. I recommend Blip.tv as their player is much larger and the flash conversion isn't as drastic as youtube.
    Save the file movie file you make as High Quality NTSC. DV-AVI is the best for this software, but overkill for what you are doing. Once you have saved the file, go to your video host of choice (youtube, Blip, etc) and either create an account, or go to your existing one and click Upload. The video will upload and notify you when it has finished the flash conversion process. At that point, to the right of your video will be an HTML code that is the code for your video and the player for posting here and in other forums.
    Good luck with your project.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

BMC, thats about what i am looking for, thank you

11. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Mr. Mac1911,
    I had to tease you about some generic term called "action springs" when you say you are going to change them but you did not use the actual name of the part. It leads me to believe you do not know how to do this.

While there is certainly nothing wrong with accomplishing this yourself, I can't help but wonder if you actually understand the difficulty of the task. I hope you already know that those mainsprings are under compression and when you are struggling to remove them remember it as it is at least twice as hard to ut the new ones in. For the top lever spring, I hope you have the a scewdriver that really fits that slot.

Good luck

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Gary I have no problem with the rub. I will tell you when posting I was not positive of the name. Action springs seemed to fit the bill. Fortunately "I know" what I am talking about. Proper names aside, I was really looking for tips on videotaping the project. See my wife went out and bought a digital video camera and now I need to know how to use it. I believe this to be a good time to learn both.

As far as the hammer springs. Im going to rate them as a bit more of a struggle compared to the ejector hammer springs in the forend. Also seems that my snap on screw bit set has a nice thin square bit that fits great. It fits better than the bit set I got from brownells. If your wondering it came free with a little effort, but it is free.

I have no problem making tools; also do a lot for work. I will grind heat bend twist what ever I need to. Unless I can find SST locally at a fair price.
    I have been fortunate enough to have mechanical abilities. I have done the fire pins cocking lever lifter and spring. Ejector hammer springs with ones that just lift and not eject. For the most part short of trigger job. I feel completely confident repairing my own guns. Most in part due to a shortage of local gun smith that I trust. last one wanted 100.00 to change the ejector hammer springs, when I told him what I was trying to do he just wanted to remove the trip rods, not my first choice.

I believe it will be more difficult to figure out the camera, downloading video thing.

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

These guns are fairly easy to work on. The secret to installing main and ejector springs is good hand strength.

I use a small pair of sidecutters which have been dulled so they will grasp, and not cut.

Hand strength is the key.

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Coach, I just made a prototype plier thingy....should work on both eject hammer springs and

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Well I made a dry run,,,,,,not to bad. my pliers flunked. did a poor spot weld on the tips. Anyway. I removed the parts and reinstalled. the camera worked well..........except I do not know where the images went on the PC????? I tried just hooking in with the firewire or usp cable.

16. BMC

BMC Member

Mac, did the movie maker program start up? Usually the default destination from WMM will be your My Videos folder. If you did use the WMM, then open the program and click on "collections", this should bring up your source destination for the clips.

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

BMC, I am going to play around a little more with it, while I wait for the springs to come in.

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

BMC I am not sure what i did, but playing with the cam corder today. I got need macromedia player to run application?

19. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

PROBLEMS with marcromedia player can not do video.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.