1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Plagiarism in

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rollin Oswald, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

My book will probably no longer be available.

I was emailed by Jeff Meloy, the graphic artist who was working on the "new" book saying that the ballpoint-pen-sketched drawings originating in Mr. Yardley's book that I sent to him for my book were plagiarized from Michael Yardley's book, “Gunfitting, The Quest for Perfection for Shotguns and Rifles”. Jeff had apparently been contacted by a third party.

I did not realize what I had done was plagiarism but I believed what Jeff wrote and confirmed I believe, it with an Google search. I have also notified Mr. Yardley's publisher, Stackpole Books of my mistake.

My Website has been ordered permanently taken down.

I also want to apologize to those of you who bought the book. Without Stackpole Book's permission to use the drawings,(which I doubt they will allow, now), no more books will be available.

Rollin

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rollin- I do hope something can be worked out. You are certainly doing the right thing now and standing up to a mistake you may have made.

Pat Ireland

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

But wait a minute - I thought there _was_ no other book on stock-fitting...

Well anyway, this is horrible.

Simply horrible.

My world is crushing in around me...are you going to tell me the Patriots cheated, too?

4. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

For Sale,,Soon to be collectors item, "Stock Fitting Secrets,,$195.00 delivered to your door,,

5. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. I bought a copy of your book last year and really learned a lot from it, it would be a shame if this great book were no longer available. I hope you are able to work something out.

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Not all is lost, you can always run for POTUS like Biden and be the media's darling. I was lucky, I bought your book last year.

7. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Dear Charlie C, My post above is a compliment to Rollin's work,,and $195.00 is a bargain,,,

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Damn!!

Morgan

9. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Mistakes are made by the best of people, Rollin. I hope you can work things out.

Mike

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Rollin,

Ignore the jerks above, they have probably never made an error. I hope you can work something out or change your drawings enough to make them originals.

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Aren't lawyers wonderful. What would we do without them?

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Eliminate the picture in question and continue with your book, sounds like a lot of people find it to be well worth while ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Rollin, email me. I do pencil sketches and pen and inks. It's been a while, but maybe I can help. There may be other shooters who can do it as well.

You may have to change the title to create a "new" book, though. I don't know the laws.

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I'm curious how your website can be "ordered" to be permanently closed down, unless there was a lawsuit filed, and the judge made a ruling.

15. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Rollin: If I remember correctly, I redid some of the book drawings for you.

I would be happy to redo the "plagiarized" picture to be somewhat different enough to keep the book going.

Whiz

16. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

To all my Friends: Thank you for your support and empathy. I sincerely appreciate it.

recurvyarcher: Email sent.

Steve B: I sent a PDF copy of my book to Brister's publisher, Mew Win Publishong, saying that someone suspected that I may have plagiarized his "Shotgunning: The Art & the Science" and to please check.

dickgtax: The Website was not ordered down. I had it taken down because "Stock Fitting Secrets" will no longer be available. I am quite certain I am, in fact, guilty of plagiarism based on what I read on-line last night.

Whiz: Thank you for your generous offer. Before I do anything about a new book, I need to learn how much legal guano I'm in. I'm not sure laptops are allowed in federal prison if I violated copyright law.

Rollin

17. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

Rollin,

Copyright law - and trademark, patent, and all intellectual property law - is very complicated, as you are finding out. I assume you have consulted an attorney who actually, verifiably, specializes in this area.

If not, do so. Don't take the advice of anyone who isn't a professional in the specific area. Yardley and his publisher doubtless have excellent representation.

If you have had your material and Yardley's objections reviewed by a real copyright attorney, and he agrees that you're clearly on the wrong side of the law, take heed of whatever he advises.

In my business, I have had many occasions to speak to my intellectual property attorney over the last twenty years. It's very expensive to fight, and if you're in the wrong, you're simply in the wrong and can't win.

If you've gotten too close to intellectual property belonging to Yardley, and you merely have to cease using it, that's probably as good a deal as you could hope for, and likely very fair.

DO NOT believe that you can make minor changes to specific illustrations or wording and suddenly be in the clear to proceed. Have your attorney carefully vet everything if you decide to proceed with another edition.

By the way, I have your book, and think it's excellent.

Good luck.

18. dbl20

dbl20 TS Member

Rollin - Michael Yardley shoots phesant at Hunting Hills in Western Pennsylvania. He is a bit egocentric, but not a bad guy and an excellent shot. I'll bet if you had him over to your favorite hunting preserve for an afternoon hunt and a quiet chat, you could save a ton of money on lawyers.
    Jon Sharp

19. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

Oops, I forgot a couple of things.

If you do go forward with another book, make sure you secure intellectual property insurance coverage.

And, while it is most commendable to admit mistakes like a man, an attorney might remind you that publicly admitting to plagiarism on this site, under your actual name, is perhaps not the smartest legal strategy. Unless you are simply planning to plead ignorance of the law and throw yourself down at the mercy of Yardley and his publisher. That might work, but securing good legal counsel might have been a wise move before taking that particular tack.

I hope this all works out for you.

20. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The web site has a "Contact" link.

PLEASE don't anybody do anything impulsive and counterproductive, if you understand my meaning!

Morgan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.