1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

places to shoot around DC

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gbt2, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbt2

gbt2 Member

I just relocated to Washington DC (Virginia side) and am looking for a place to trapshoot. Any recommendations? I did some internet research and found a couple full service ranges out in Manassas in which the membership process seems ridiculously complicated and pretty heavy on pocketbook.

thanks in advance...gbt

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

PG County Range in Glenn Dale MD. It's a short hop over the Wilson bridge, maybe about 20 miles or so. Mash the link above.

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

gbt2 there are 4 clubs in VA in the northern Va area. Fairfax rod and gun club just east of Manassas and the Arlington Fairfax Issac Walton League of America just north of Manassas. The Fredericksburg Rod and Gun Club just south west of Fredericksburg and the Northern Virginia Gun Club 15 miles east of Fredericksburg. All have web sites with membership info. NVGC is the cheapest membership but also requires stock purchase which increases the cost some. The other option is to go to the ATA website and use the shoots near you function which uses your zip code to find registered shoots near you which you can use to look up club info including distance from you. Good Luck in your search.

--- Chip King ---

4. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

Fredericksburg Rod & Gun Club

http://www.rodngunclub.org/

5. TjayE

TjayE Member

gbt2

check your PM (private message)

6. samiam03

samiam03 Member

Interesting - no mention of Bull Run

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Here's a link to Claytargetsonline.com for Virginia. They have listings for a variety of shooting facilities across the country. I mentioned PG County before, since they have convenient hours and reasonable fees. No membership required. The ones you found were probably Fairfax Rod and Gun and Isaac Walton League. They are excellent facilities, but there are membership requirements and some costs. Bull Run was OK when I was there last, but somehow they didn't seem to have hours I could work with.

8. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

NVGC website: http://www.northernvirginiagunclub.org/

9. bill4807

bill4807 Member

Bull Run Regional Park Public Shooting Center
    7700 Bull Run Drive, Centreville
    703-830-2344
    Shooting Center Manager: John McBreen

Bull Run Shooting Center offers 5 different shotgun games that are fun and exciting for new or experienced shooters of all ages. (And an indoor archery range w/Olympic class instruction.)

To reach Bull Run Public Shooting Center, take I-66 to Exit 52 (Route 29) at Centreville, drive 2 miles south on route 29, turn left onto Bull Run Post Office Road and follow the signs to Bull Run Regional Park and Bull Run Shooting Center.

Check: http://www.nvrpa.org/parks/bullrunshooting/

Welcome to Northern Virginia!

Bill

10. chipking

chipking TS Member

good catch samiam03 I read the original post and thought "clubs" without even considering public ranges.

--- Chip King ---

11. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

If you feel like driving recomend Winchester Gun Club (Trap Only) and if you can find a member to sponsor you Fairfax R&G Club has Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand, and Rifle/Pistol.

Ronbo

12. samiam03

samiam03 Member

Since we're on the topic - I need a sponsor for one of the following clubs:

Bethesda, Chevy Chase IWL
    Arlington, Falls Church IWL
    Rockville, IWL
    Quantico

My preference would be BCC as I hunted that property many years ago great piece of land in the Potomac River Basin plus I grew up in that area. Also I need to get my daughter involved in a sport and she's leaning toward archery. BCC has a good archery range.

Any thoughts or recommendations on any of the listed clubs would be appreciated.

Sam

13. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

ford's theater

congress

14. bill4807

bill4807 Member

check the above website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.