1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Places to Eat in Southern Illinois

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by todddietrich, Jul 3, 2013.

1. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

For everyone coming to the Grand, I thought I might suggest some off the beaten path restaurants. I travel a lot and finding a good place to eat is always a chore.

Country Kitchen in Oakdale (local farmers hang out way off the beaten path) 1/2 hour from sparta

South Side in Sparta (get the Smoked Porkchop)
    5 minutes from WSRC

Pioneers Cabin in Ava (family style)
    1/2 hour from Sparta

Alt Dreamland in Fosters Pond (between Valmeyer and Waterloo very authentic German, suggest getting a reservation)
    45 minutes from Sparta

Valentine's in Freeburg (limited number marinated steaks)
    25 minutes from Sparta

Reifschniders in Freeburg (kinda Yuppie as the Duck Commander might say, but nice)
    25 minutes from Sparta

Mungo's in Belleville (expensive, but very good)
    40 minutes from Sparta

If anyone else has some suggestions, fire away. If you have any questions, I'll pass along what I can.

regards,

Todd / Illinois

2. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

hi all. i would like to see grntitan chime in on this 1. matt is from here and im sure he has some great off the beaten path places that noone has shot the cook yet. thnks and have a great 4ty. howard

3. John55

John55 Active Member

Andria's in O'Fallon. Best steak and prime rib in the metro east.

4. JT 27

JT 27 Member

We were fortunate to find The Pioneers Cabin and Valentines on year 1 at Sparta. Bread pudding is also quite good at South Side Barbaque.

5. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

There was a thread last year on the same subject that went on for quite some time right after the Grand was over. If you can find it, it listed literally every good restaurant around the Sparta area.

6. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Grntitan will chime in here as always. But I will let you know that anytime you want a good meal 24 hours a day especially at 2 A.M. Matt serves excellent food and friendly service. Just a minute and I will give you directions to his house. Lol. Terry. Don't tell him that I sent you.

7. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

If you don't mind spending a little more...another vote for Andrea's in O'fallon, IL

We order their merinade by the case.

Great, quite atmosphere and one of the best high end restaurants I've eaten at around the world...period!

milt

8. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member

When we attended the US Open a few weeks ago the new restaurant in the main event building, Joe Boccardo's was open. Blows the socks off the old 17th Street Grill with the menu and service.I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the Grand!

9. FLIP

FLIP Member

Marys in Ruma hometown bar and grill

10. wopahoe

wopahoe Member

hook line and sinker, about 8 or 10 miles south of sparta on rt 4, everything on menu is very good.

11. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

China Wall? On main st in sparta is very good .. if you like Chinese! Merlyn

12. RLC323

RLC323 Member

The Brick in Marissa has real good pizza. Nice folks and a wide variety of beverages.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you want to add a little excitement to your dining pleasure there is a rib joint in East St. Louis that is outstanding ... The bucket of Rib Tips with an order of fries, hunk of bread, some slaw and a 40 0z. and your good to go ... Its not for the faint at heart but the prices are good and the food is out of this world ... Its actually entertaining to watch the locals looking at you like what chew doin here ..? I got the large bucket and it lasted for 2 days ... Don't sit by the windows in front ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'd try Kentucky

15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

McDonald's get's my vote!

16. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Interesting Discussion!!
    Greatful there is some descent food on grounds. Shoot-offs change your evening plans at times.
    I could be mistaken but Pioneer Cabin is not easy to find. I think I went last year and at that time of night I forget how many deer we near missed. Three or Four. Not high on my groups list.
    I am not aware of what percentage live on sight, who reside north towards O'Fallon, who lives north east,southeast & south west.
    The geography of each shooter's daily trip is different.

Joe Woods/Ontario

17. todddietrich

Joe,
    My father related a story from his youth. My grandfather received a call from a Game Warden about a deer hit on the road. They loaded up in a truck to get the deer. When they arrived, my Dad jumps out of the truck and starts to field dress the deer while the group watches. The Warden looks and my Grand Dad and says "Wow John, He's pretty good at that!", My Grand Dad replies, "Aw that's nothing, you should see him do it in the dark".

Todd / Illinois

18. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Eckert's Orchard, outside of Bellvue is a great lunch place. While you're there, shop the store for great produce and gift items.

19. todddietrich

Good One Karla! I forgot about Eckerts in Belleville. There is also to Road House in Bremen. I've not eaten there, but I understand the beverages are cold.

Todd / Illinois