1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pittman Robertson Funds Misappropriated?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by 4evertrap, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4evertrap

4evertrap Member

The Pitman Robertson Act (1937) set aside 11% excise tax from the sale of guns and ammo. These funds are given to the Secretary of the Interior for mandatory redistribution to the States.

One would think this fund would be full and overflowing based on the huge increase of guns and ammo sales in the last few years. Not the case, apparently this fund is near empty as Obama has diverted funds to who knows where.

I sure would like to know how to track these funds. Can a citizen ask for an accounting of funds from the GAO, can my elected officials help...I want to know where these funds have gone, why and when they will be replaced.

We should all make a bunch of racket about this travesty.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

The states Hunter Ed programs are funded by these moneys. When sales are up, the amount to the states increases also.

You should be able to get a answer from your state rep. Just call him or her and ask what the state received and where did it all go. If you don't get a answer, threaten a "audit" request. Worked for me.

The Signing of the Brady Bill netted a four fold increase to the state of WA the following year.

I would imagine the states are getting a fairly sizable chunk!!

The nice thing about the P/R bill, there is a "automatic" go straight to jail clause in it. Ted Kennedy found that out when he thought about pilfering it after the Brady bill fiasco!

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

What does the Brady Bill have to do with the Pittman Robertson Act????

The P&R act is a fund to give the states federal aid in wildlife restoration program. The brady bill is anti gun legislation. Guns that the tax from the sale of, fund the program to begin with.

Bob Lawless

5. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

I presume sale went up after the Brady Bill

6. timberfaller

The Brady Bill had nothing to do with PR. After it was passed, sales went through the roof as usual. Ole Teddy of Mass. saw how much more his state received and wanted it put in the general fund(steal it)!!

That a big NO NO!!

PR is a Manufacturing TAX on Firearms, reloading equipment and archery. Collected from the "Manufacturer" then pasted out to the states. For Hunter Ed programs,wildlife restoration programs and some shooting related programs.

If you can prove there has been "Misappropriated funds" Those people are looking at jail time.

Good luck!

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    An interesting observation... SPORTING firearms are taxed by Pittman-Robertson. This includes HANDGUNS and, yes, so-called "ASSAULT WEAPONS". The Federal government has de facto declared them to be sporting firearms.

8. timberfaller

Government: The right hand doesn't know or care what the left hand is doing!!

So if the guberment want of ban semi auto firearms they are in FACT cutting revenue from themselves! There way of claiming "cutting taxes"!!

Sounds like we all need to call our reps. again and use this new tactic!!

AR's are Sporting firearms by law under the Pittman/Robertson Act.

Way to go! Brian!!

9. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Back in the mid 70's our club was forced out and we contemplated building a new one with PR funds that were available for range development.

A rep. from the ODNR (Ohio) came to one of our meetings and explained the steps involved.

She said there was plenty of money available, so I can't imagine with the gun sales, etc. since then, the fund should have a sizable amount.

Somethings not right.

Regards....Gerald

10. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

I think 4ever casts a good line.

It was always said that the PR money could not be use for anything but wildlife managment, ranges etc.

The politicians have been trying to get their fingers into it for years. They have even tried just stealing it with no success.

I know that even on the state level, they have been unsuccessful for getting into that money.

The PR money is one that is suppose to be written well and protected.

11. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: Not the case, apparently this fund is near empty as Obama has diverted funds to who knows where.

Where is the article that says the fund is near empty and Obama diverted the funds?

Looked around the internet and didn't see anything....

12. 4evertrap

4evertrap Member

The link above tells you what should be available, yet when a 2 year old pre-approved DNR project went to allocate the funds for that pre-approved project it seems no funds are available....I don't know...

I am not fishing or anything just trying to get to the bottom of why our project can't move forward.

13. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

odnr funds misapproptriated