1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pits in shotgun barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I was cleaning my gun tonight and noticed(what I thought was plastic) plastic that wouldn't come out of the barrel. I looked more closely and it looks like the barrel has small pits in it back near the forcing cone. What would have caused this and how do I remove them? Should I not shoot the gun now since the barrel has pits?

P.S. The gun is a Kolar combo that's not even a year old.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Might have been there when you bought the gun. If you bought it new from Kolar see what they say. If they won't make good on it you can polish the area with a brake cylinder hone. HMB

3. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

Get the forcing cones lengthened. That should take care of it.

Allem's Guncraft did mine and they did a wonderful job saving my barrels.

Pat

4. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

The gun is brand new, and I've never stored the gun without cleaning it first. I always clean it the same day after shooting, that's why I was very suprised to see the pits. I'll call Kolar and see what they say.

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

There are two different possibilities that I can think of (there are others, but the likelihood is truly rare).

First, is that there has been REALLY poor barrel maintenance - allowing dirt and moisture to combine to create a corrosive agent that ate the metal. You state that you clean after every use (I would be sure to be emphatic about this when you talk with Kolar).

The other is a manufacturing defect - think a void in the steel bar the barrel was cut from - might have filled with trailings during the boring and polishing (not sure if Kolar chromes their barrels - but that could have covered a defect) and that 'released' after firing and cleaning.

A new gun, less than one year old should not have this problem...

Please let us know what they say/do, and good luck.

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

After your repair job, get yourself a Tico Tool, a bottle of your favorite oil and swab the barrel after you're done shooting for the day. My Browning will try to turn brown as I'm walking off the line. ;-) Good luck.

7. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Does it hurt to shoot the barrel with pits in it?

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I would think pits in a near new gun like that might be indicative of much bigger problems that will reveal themselves when the barrel explodes. I think the manufacturer needs to see those barrels.

9. larryjk

larryjk Member

If you live in an area with firly high humidity this happens often with the advent of plastic wads. The passage of the wads leaves a plastic film in the barrel that has moisture trapped under said film. Unless you really scrub the heck out of it, you don't remove that plastic film. Running a "snake" through makes it shine but doesn't remove the plastic. Give it hell with a brass brush, followed by a toronado brush, and finally patches with ammonia cleaner and finally flushing out the ammonia with Hoppe's and then dry patches. Alot of work but no pits.

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Did you store a fired plastic hull in the gun as a make-due snap cap? That can be a cause; been there, done that with a KS 5 one time; no harm came of it, just stopped using the wrong "snap cap"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
pits in a shotgun barrel
pits in gun barell
pits in shotgun barrel a concern

shotgun pits

uses pits in barrel guns