1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pited bore

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gordy h, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

I have a SBT Perazzi with what looks like a pited bore about 8 " from the reciver. I tryed the brass brush on a drill. Any ideas on how to clean it up ? Can it be relined? Or just shoot it like it is? Thanks Butch H

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

You can lap it with some abrasive paper, but if that won't do, a shop with a Sunnen Hone should be able to take them out.

Doug

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Had a guy bought a new BT-99 years ago shot half a box of shells and put it up . Six years later he sold me that gun and very nice old 32 inch . It was as new very nice untill I opened it up . The barrel was way past saving other then that it looks new ???

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I had a Perazzi like that one time. Sent it into have itback bored and a longer forcing cone put in, and it came back clean as a whistle and it's been that way ever since. That was over 15 years ago.

Hauxfan!

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

In that the shot is contained in a plastic wad, what difference does it make? It would have to be really bad to allow gas to escape past the wad seal.

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Shoot it and quit your "old woman" fretting.

Buz

7. gordy h

gordy h Member

Thanks for the help guy's , all were appreciated even Buz.)&^#%!!

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Dear Butch

Where are you?

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I took my BT to Kolar for a polishing, to remove some scoring in the barrel - they did a beautiful polishing job and the bore gleams from chamber to choke.

They have pricing on their website.

Jay

10. gordy h

gordy h Member

I'm in northern Wi. Butch H

11. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

since we are on this topic... I need a cleaning rod i can put on a drill... who makes a good one?? I cant seem to locate one

HT

12. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

A little off topic, but I bought a 16ga, 1909 Parker, SXS a few years back that looked to be in great condition. After some cleaning I saw that both barrels had some moderate pitting over about 2/3's of the length. I felt this was strange for the otherwise nice condition of the gun. We have a high end gun shop here in town and during a visit I mentioned the pitted Parker. Owner said there was a time when it was believed a slightly pitted bore made for better patterns and shooters were known to even pee down the barrels to speed the process. He said he's seen a number of nice classic shotguns that had this type of pitting.
    So, keep the pitting, enjoy a better pattern, and forget about choke tubes.

13. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

How far away are you supposed to stand when you pee down the barrel?

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

JBrooks That will very from person to person . Some four to six inches and Some more But if your a Skeet shooter you may need to set on it .

15. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

I have a remington 870 wingmaster that i use as a boat gun for sharking. I had the gun in a soft case and it got very wet one day. I put the gun in the garage and forgot about it being soaked with saltwater. About a week later a few buddies were over and one of them tried to pull it out of the case and it was stuck to the the fabric with rust. The gun was a complete ball of rust inside and out. We got a good laugh out of it and few beers later we had a bet for $100 to break a 25 with it. I shot the gun first and a cloud of rust blew out of the barrel. I dropped 2 targets with it and my buddy ran a 25. So, as to the theory of pitting having any affect, i dont believe so. I dont care what the inside of my barrel looks like, its a shotgun. I never clean my barrel, the wad does it for me. Remember, its not the gun, its the man behind the gun!!!! People get too anal about stupid things, just shoot the gun. Now you have an excuse when you have a bad day of shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is a pited bore