1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pitch Targets vs. Bios

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Avaldes, May 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

So now that the great Pitch shortage of 2012 is over, are most clubs throwing regular targets again? I have noticed quite a few clubs switched over to Bio targets last year and are still throwing them today. Is this a case of economics or are people content using the Bios now?

I shot at Redlands last weekend and the nice black smoke was wonderful to see again! I would really like to see everyone throwing regular targets now that they are available again. Thoughts?

-Aaron

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I really didn't like the bios and my machines don't either, well it really isn't the machines and it might be imagination but the bios seems to soak up humidity or something because it seems like it is humid out they will break more than normal, they hardly ever break a pitch target unless it is a few with one hole dings in them that we pick up

But when I am shooting by myself there are never any unbroken targets out in the field so I don't have to worry about that LOL

3. alf174

alf174 Member

We switched a couple of years ago. Bios, after years, are just too hard on the machines.

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

We've been throwing the Bio since 2001. We had to throw a bio-target due to our environmental permit, and White Flyer had the goods.

Outside Chicago, we get about as poor weather as anywhere, but if we keep the birds and machines dry, we don't have any maintenance problems. One issue that has worked well for us is the biodegradability (?!) of the targets. We throw about a 1/4 million birds annually and after 12 years, I still don't have to scrape and rent a bobcat to haul 'em away... they just go away.

Pricing has been good, so in retrospect, the Bio has served my operation well and since we also shoot steel, we should have the most difficult trap shooting operation in America... but we're eco-friendly... (lol)

regards all,

Jay

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Spitter. I'll bet your grass doesn't think the Bio's are so eco-friendly.

6. dls guide

dls guide Member

Pitch targets are still the best targets out there. Bios are about a buck a case cheaper and that is equal to a couple $k per load and that is why we buy them most of the time. Bios are not that much more Eco-friendly, but many clubs that lease property have to throw the bios to make the land owner happy. It is a fallacy that bios decompose that much quicker, and when they do break down the soil ph goes more acidic. Thus, the vegetation dies. In the long run I love the black smoke of pitch targets!!!! Daryl.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Bios are cheaper for sure. Pitch are far better and worth the extra. The Bios will ruin your machine in a few years. They break hard in cold weather and are a pain in the a**. As club pres I was forced to buy Bio a year ago but now have pitch and if I went back to Bios the membership would fire me LOL

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Barry...

Being trap only... we dont get the Skeet overlay burn that the combo fields see... grass doesn't seem to complain too much... yuch yuch yuch...

Jay

9. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

If you want to see the other effects of BIO's go to Quail Creek Sporting clays on hyw 68 outside of Ft Pierce and look at the deserts in front of the machines that use to be palmettos and pine trees.

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The bios totally wacked the grass @ Ft. Bragg

Phil Berkowitz

11. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Our shooters want pitch based targets.
    Our trap machine maintenance man Steve Huber advises against bios.

So..... NO BIOS are thrown at our Club.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.