1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pitch Spacer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

What are you trying to cure? Is the gun slapping your cheek? How much pitch change is in the spacer? Probably best to have a good stockfitter make a recommendation. I recently purchased a new gun and it slapped my cheek. The stockfitter changed the pitch by 1/8th of an inch, and the problem disappeared...sometimes less is more. I used Rod Stumbo of Rod's Custom Gunstocks...excellent work.

WNCRob

2. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Again, I'd send it to a good stockfitter. Let him observe the current pitch and make an appropriate recommendation.

WNCRob

3. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Joe get you 4 or 5 1/4in washers, experiment on the top screw of your pad.Add a couple of washers,shoot,add until you get it like you want. GOOD LUCK

4. vpsr6

vpsr6 Member

You would want to put the thicker part at the top this will give you more pitch taking you away from neg pitch if thats what you have.

5. racer

racer TS Member

Thicker on top will reduce cheek slap. Verify you are mounting the gun high enough on shoulder. I get a sore face if I get tired and don't keep the gun up. Dan

6. vpsr6

vpsr6 Member

I thought pitch was measured in comparison to the top of the comb, if you do not have a parrallel rib measuring it against a wall could make a difference. I am am just looking to clear it up for myself.
    thanks

7. kie95

kie95 Member

Shady is correct with the washers, then you could use both methods to get it close and the ultimate test is to shoot it. You might want to try and shoot doubles to make sure it is not too much and driving the gun out of position for your second shot. Play with the washers till you get it right then make a wedge the same size.

8. rookie tim

rookie tim TS Member

I could be wrong, but wouldn't you want the fat end of the spacer at the bottom of the stock so the butt of the stock would angle in toward the top side of the gun, thus directing recoil down and away from your cheek. Like I said, I could be wrong.

9. rookie tim

rookie tim TS Member

Joe, the reason I responded to this thread is because I went through this
    "cheek slap " problem with my 10 yr. old son last summer. I bought him a Rem. 1187 Prem. Trap 12 ga. He had been borroughing (sp.?) a Browning 2000 auto 12 ga. and shooting it very well with no cheek slap problems. I purchased a used shortened stock for the Rem. 1187 and let my son shoot it and after only a box of shells he complained of a sore cheek. I could see his cheek was taking a beating. I compaired his stock to the Browning he was shooting with no problem. The Rem. had no pitch at all, the Browning was pitched as I described above. I bought spacer as you did and put the fat end at the bottom. My son and I headed for the gun club to give it a try, after only a fews shots my son said it was much better, and after four boxes of shells that day he said he liked his new gun. And yes, he was shooting the same shells in each gun.
    Just my experience,
    Tim

10. racer

racer TS Member

Rookie Tim- think of it as the gun rotating on your shoulder not pushing back. It does both of course but you are trying to stop the rotation.. Dan

11. Sonny

Sonny Member

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

try this with one of your hands simulateing the recoil pad place it against a flat wall or even your shoulder. Start by making contact with just the base of your plam and push, you hand will want to move upward. Now slowly tilt your hand until more and more of your hand and fingers are makeing contact. You should notice you are pushing back with little upward movement.

If you have a pitch spacer elongate the mounting holes to get some adjustability. You do not really need a lot to change the end result. Nor do you need to grind to fit right away.

So with a snug shirt on Slowly mount your gun, See where the recoil pad mounts.
    The idea is to get as much as the recoil to contact your pocket at the same time

13. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The pitch on a gun is correct when the entire recoil pad top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with the shoulder pocket as the gun is being mounted (with the upper heel of the pad on the collarbone and with the shooter in his or her normal shooting posture).

It is a good idea to experiment with washers on the rop pad mounting screw.

There are several other causes for cheek slap but inadequate pitch is a common one.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.