1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pitch and POI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpsr6, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpsr6

vpsr6 Member

I have seen this discussed before but could not search out any threads. I am wondering if there is a definitive answer as to if pitch effects POI. I have been told yes and no from some experienced shooters at my club. The issue for me is I seem to shoot better with less pitch (0 with 1/8 inch pitch spacer) or even negative pitch with 1/4 inch pitch spacer, and I am trying to figure out the effect and how come it effects my shooting.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Any change you make will effect the POI. But the amount of change is probably very small. You are shooting better because of better gun fit, causing you to stay on the gun better. Maybe. HMB

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Pitch has no effect on your POI. As long as you see the same sight picture, your shot will go in the same place. Don't believe me, contact Country Gentleman stock fitters, they'll tell you the same thing.

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I think the pitch is perfect when the entire butt pad bears against you shoulder evenly. It the toe is too long it hurts. If the heel is too long, it acts as a pivot around which the gun recoils upwards. That raises your POI a little, because of the increased muzzle rise. When you get it right the gun will feel more comfortable, it will more readily stay where it is supposed to, and you will shoot better.

The only other tip I can give you is set your gun/comb/rib/etc. up for the POI you like first, then adjust the pitch for that POI. I have a four notch adjustable rib, and I notice the pitch change adjusting it causes. It feels like night and day even though the change is really quite small. It's the difference between right, and not right.

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Pitch has very little if any effect on POI. It does however have a BIG effect on shooter comfort.

John C. Saubak

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Pitch can change the amount of upward barrel movement, but it is my opinion (guess) that this movement takes place after the shot has left the barrel. Porting does decrease this movement and does not change the POI.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.