1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PITA Rules ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Flench, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flench

Flench TS Member

Tim who is shooting in a PITA shoot cross registers his targets to ATA. Tim has a ATA Handicap Yardage of 23, but his PITA yardage is 22. Tim shoots on the 22 and shoots a 97 for a yard punch. Does Tim's ATA card get punched to the 24 since he cross registered? I cannot finda guidline that deals with this in the rule book.

(i) A shooter who has an ATA established handicap
    yardage that is one or more yards greater than their PITA
    established handicap yardage, shall be assigned yardage
    that is (1) one yard less than their ATA handicap yardage
    assignment if the shooter desires.

Doyal Kirby

2. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Doyal,

If I understand the ATA rules correctly, since he was cross-registering targets, he would've had to be standing at his ATA yardage, not his PITA yardage.

ATA requires you stand at your longest yardage if you belong to another shooting organization, especially when cross-registering. Theoretically, since he didn't, I would guess he doesn't get the punch. I could be absolutely incorrect though.

Page 64 of the Current ATA Rulebook outlines the PITA Letter of Agreement, with the yardage comment directly following item #5.

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I too would guess that he should not get a punch.

He was suppose to shoot at the ATA yardage 23, if he was cross registering. It will be interesting what ATA does. The targets should not be registered with the ATA because it was shot from the wrong yardage.

If he has been shooting ATA and/or PITA regularly, he was suppose to notify PITA of his ATA yardage increase.

Jason

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

This is an excellent question. Rule VI C 5, covers most of the answer. If the shooter does cross register the targets, he is in violation of this rule. The ATA would disqualify the handicap targets (shot from the wrong yardage) and most likely, the CHC would award him an additional yard (discretionary yardage awarded only by the CHC or the EC). If someone were to file an additional complaint, additional sanctions could be applied to the shooter. The intent of the shooter when shooting from the wrong yardage would be pivotal if an official complaint were submitted to the ATA.

Pat Ireland

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The One-yard-less rule in the PITA has no bearing on the cross registering issue. If he is going to cross register he must shoot his longest yardage. Were he NOT cross registering and his PITA yardage was less than his ATA yardage, then he could shoot no more than one yard less than his ATA yardage per PITA rules......Bob Dodd

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Doyal,

Unfortunately most people are more difficutlt to handicap than you. (AA,27,AA doesn't leave many questions)

Believe it or not, more than 70% of the people that come up to my handicap station don't have shoot cards with updated averages. Getting someone with accurate shoot cards from both ATA and PITA is extremely rare.

So you do your best with the information you can get from the shooter. In this case if the shooter had presented his ATA handicap the longer of the two handicaps would have been used. As usual its the handicapers fault. Sorry.

Greg

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

We do not accept excuses, you're fired. HMB

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Thanks,

I was hoping for that.

9. Flench

Flench TS Member

Greg your doing a fine Job. If you get fired that easy I will have to file a greivence :))

When I shot I always showed the card with the longest yardage even when I did not cross register. Hell before I made the 27 some of these guys punch my PITA Card ATA card my nose, my eye, my plane ticket and anything else the could punch just to get me back to the 27.

Mr Dodd and eveyone else Thank you. I was asked this question yesterday and I wasn't sure of the answer even though it was right infront of me.

Doyal Kirby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.