1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pit Bull news story

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tj303, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tj303

tj303 Member

http://www.kptv.com/news/18026315/detail.html#-

2. Jimmy E

Jimmy E TS Member

What exactly is the point of posting this crap? I am the proud owner of a beautiful 8 year old, 75lb, female pit bull named Casey. She is a wonderful, obedient, loyal companion and a pleasure to own. These kind of stories do not fairly represent the breed and are not typical behavior. They do however make it hard for responsible pit bull owners like myself to walk my dog in public without being scrutinized and given dirty looks just for owning one. Please keep the crap in the toilet where it belongs.
    Jimmy

3. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

The point is the the dog in the story was an obedient, loyal companion also.

My next door neighbor's son was also attacked by a loving , loyal, companion cute pit. His dad had the dog for 4 years and everyone played with it including my family.

Nice people but Don had 3 years in the pen for it. That and he got to bury his 8 year old boy before trial was the only decent thing that came out of it.

Things happen and the BIG difference is the amount of damage when something does happen.

Yes most are great animals but you must be ready when the unthinkable happens.

Good luck

Rock

Jim

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My daughter got menaced by a pit bull the day before yesterday. A motorist got his car between her and the dog and ran the dog off.<br>
    <br>
    I'm not blaming the breed. I'm blaming the owners for letting it run loose.<br>
    <br>
    For my part, I'm trying to find out which house the dog belongs at, and am going to file a complaint with animal control.

5. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Keeping a pit is like having a loaded gun with no safety. Any accident with either could be devastating. It is not the dog or guns fault when the dog or gun goes off, it is most likely careless handling that causes either to go off.
    I have met some very nice pit's but in my travels I have seen some nasty ones that were trained to not be nice usually on a leash by teen aged kids like a status symbol.

I love dogs but would no more keep a pit around children than a loaded gun with no safety. You are just asking for problems.

tom

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Seems like a semi-annual thread. Certain breeds are like a lit stick of dynomite that you never know when they will explode but explode they will. Unfortunatly someone other than the owner usually gets hurt or dies. Defend them as you will but the only person you are fooling is yourself.

Don

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

It would seem to me that the very last little paragraph said it all. The exact problem of the pit bull and their owners.

"The dog's owner was identified as Rick Harrison, 37, of Gresham. Deputies said they don't expect criminal charges to be filed in this attack but wouldn't rule out civil action."

That dog is the owners responsibility if it is out of his control and causes trouble and injures someone then he should be held accountable for the dogs actions.

It is the same as a gun owner that has a gun stolen and neglects to report the theft. He should pay the price.

Bob Lawless

8. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

You can make any breed mean as hell in time. I have seen labs who you really did not want to petted. Smaller dog also. I have seen German Sheppard's who wanted to get in your lap and be petted but if you made a hostle move to the family watch out. I like Pit Bulls they are great dogs but only like other dogs they have to be breed right and trained right. I say shoot the owner and not the dog.

9. 5spd

5spd TS Member

As a letter carrier I have just about every breed of dog on my route from the rat sized mutt to the Great Dane and I will not trust ANY of them no matter what. All dogs have teeth for a reason....to bite.
    I hear it EVERY time....it never did that before, or my dog is friendly......yea, maybe to you but not a person on the street.
    I have had family dogs bust through screen doors just to attack me on the street 6x in the last 5 years also. Tell you how that scares the living daylites out of a person.....:) 4 were darn Pit Bulls, 1 shepard, 1 Lab.
    Most bitters Ive run into are....Labs, Pit Bulls, Weimerimers, German shorthairs, Irish Setters, German Sheapards, every herding type dog, dashhounds & more.
    Every dog is going to protect what it thinks is their turf.
    A dog will attack for unknown reasons on a very short or no notice.
    I love dogs, but will never take a chance even though I know most of them will be ok, its the time I relax when they will attack.
    Thats my view on them.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Two words that folks with dogs should consider. CIVIL LIABILITY.

Many home owners' policies exclude Pit Bulls and other dangerous breeds (their terminology). I have had my insurance with the same folks for about 30 years. The wording in their policy kept me from buying a trained Belgian Malinois. If you tried to hit this dog with a stick, he would take it away from you and shove it where the sun don't shine. A truly magnificent creature. Oh well,,,

The folks who used to live next door don't live there any more. They bought a BEAUTIFUL $1800 Pit. The dog attacked a kid on the street walking home from school.

Now, the house is owned by a real estate agent who bought the house at a COURT ORDERED AUCTION. His renters are paying for the house.

One should be able to figure out how the house got into a court auction. :^(

BTW, the one time the dog came into my yard, it licked my hand and enjoyed a little petting. Unlike three wives, critters seem to tolerate me, but they don't take to everyone. LOL

11. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

NOT TYPICAL BEHAVIOR ????? For a Pit Bull ?? Read the NEWS more often...Pit Bulls may be GREAT PETS.....but are killers when provoked. I have a litle Malteese and he's a great pet.....but is territorial to strangers. When he goes OFF HE doesn't GO FOR THE KILL as is the MAJOR STAT for a PIT BULL. If you own a PIT BULL....you had better be VERY responsible....or you're going down the toilet with him/her.

12. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Shooting Coach is on the money....many people have lost their homeowners insurance coverage due to being sued for dog attacks. On top of that its just about impossible to find another insurance company that will cover you after that happens.

13. Brian in Oregon

"Dogs of Peace"

14. cls

cls Member

I LOVE Pit Bulls... They're the coolest..!

But I can't stand irresponsible dog owners, they're the worst. cls

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"What exactly is the point of posting this crap?"

If you see a pit bull, you'd better stay in your car.

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My daughter bought a Pit Bull even though I protested it. She had it for a year and no problems, then one night her girlfriend and her boyfriend came over for the evening, no problems, then later on in the night they got into an argument and the pit bull bit her boyfriend very badly on the arm, had to have stitches, after that the dog could not be trusted and had to be put down, abeautiful dog just like the one on the TV show with the kids years ago.
    The dog was trying to protect her.

Asked Allstate about insurance and they told her if you get a pit bull we will cancel your insurance immeaditly, we won't insure you.

They are totally un-predictable, anything can set them off, it is in their breeding, they were bred for fighting.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I like a good discussion. I think if you gentlemen would just separate your facts from your opinions. The discussion would be a little more useful than it is now.

Examples

"Keeping a pit is like having a loaded gun with no safety."

"Pit Bulls are not trained to fight. It is an innate product of over 200 years of breeding. They by nature want and like to fight."

"They are totally un-predictable, anything can set them off, it is in their breeding, they were bred for fighting."

All of these examples are opinion not fact.

Mr. Charles

"The deadliest dogs Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present."

I have posted a link to a site that has a lot of this Merrit Cliftons report and other information.

I did a google search Dog attacks in Germany and came up with this site it is quite interesting read http://www.goodnewsforpets.com/Articles.asp?ID=113

It seem that the in Germany the are legislating these Breeds out of existence. The article reads like a report on gun control. everyone should read it.

Bob Lawless

18. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

You want a pit bull,,,,that is fine,,,,just take the responsibility and the consequences that may go with that ownership. All dogs can and may bite,,,,some breeds just have more propensity towards it,,,,and they may be more of a mauling type of "bite"...

19. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I am a true dog lover, but NO WAY would I ever trust a Pit Bull or Pit Bull/Mix. Just last week I was attacked from behind by a Pit/Lab mix while picking up a computer that I had repaired(the Dog was NOT their dog and I was no where near the dog owners property). One of my supervisors had a Pit that she adored, but after it tried to tear down a sliding glass door to attack her Grand daughter, she had to have it put down. Not many miles north of hear a young girl was attacked and Killed by a Pit Bull this year. As far as "Staying in my car" I try not to provoke ANY dog and the last thing I want is to shoot one, but I carry a gun almost everywhere I go and any dog that threatens my safety or that of my family is toast! When we lived in town there was a prison Guard who fancied himself as a real Bad @$$. He kept two realy mean Pits which had gotten out more than once. I told him my daughter played outside and warned I would have to shoot one if it attacked her. He showed a pistol and made some SA comment about somebody being SORRY if they shot his dog. I open the door to my truck and revealed both my 12 ga. auto AND my Remington 742 deer rifle and advised him that both my wife and I were probably MUCH heavily armed than he was and he might want to be very careful about firing in our direction. Long story short Mr. Bad @$$ let one of his dogs get loose and it bit a neighborhood child VERY severly. The childs father sent it to Dog heaven with a load of buck shot and sued Mr. Bad @$$. We moved after that and last I heard Mr. Bad @$$ settled out of court for a VERY large chunk of change, but still faced local charges for not controling a dangerous animal. If you keep a pit then I REALLY hope you never have to face a bad situation because of it, but don't expect much sympathy if you do.

20. Brian in Oregon

Yet ANOTHER child was attacked by a pit bull in the Portland area. This attack was on a girl in Vancouver, Washignton, just across the river from Portland. A guy was walking his pitbull, a couple of girls stopped to pet it, and the pit bull attacked them. One girl has over 20 stitches on her face.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.