1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pistols across state lines?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Are you permitted to carry a small pistol across lines for protection? I'm concerned about Mexican National thief in San Antonio Texas area. I had a bad experience with them in New Mexico

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

depends on the state...for example, I live in VA and have a CCW permit. Some states have a reciprocity agreement with VA so they recognize my CCW permit as valid in their state. Other states, like NY, absolutely forbid me to CCW in their state. In fact, if I'm visiting someone in NY state, I can't be in possession of a handgun unless I have a NY permit. Even for hunting, I'm not allowed to bring my handgun into NY to hunt. If i'm transiting NY to go to another state, then I'm allowed to be in possession of my handgun, provided it is locked in a case, unloaded, and not easily accessible by me in my vehicle while in route to my final destination.

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Earl, you'r worrying too much. Just get on down here and shoot. If you are Driving tex law wants the gun and ammo in seperate areas of your vehicle unless yu got ccw. Keep your trap guns at club in the secure lockr area and keep yur nose clean when your not at the club and you'll be just fine. SA not like the border towns, and is a lot bigger than any town in NM

Bob

4. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

www.handgunlaw.us

They have links, and a good map showing where your CCW is valid.

If you have your PA CCW license, you are good in Texas, and most of the states along the route there.

Good luck, Earl.

5. below 0

below 0 TS Member

While traveling in your auto, it is a good idea to keep your pistol in a locked case in the trunk of your auto. I too, have a ccw permit but don't feel it is necessary to carry in Texas unless you're at a border town. Just my opinion...Odie

6. peteodie

peteodie Member

here is what I found and you may want to consult the requirements closely.

November 30, 2005 New Mexico

Note: Effective November 30, 2005 New Mexico has issued a finding that officially recognizes Texas Concealed Handgun Licenses in New Mexico. Texas has recognized New Mexico's licenses since December 29, 2004. This has the effect of reciprocity between New Mexico and Texas.

7. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I'm just a littler nervous because me and my Wife had a gun put in our ear by a Mexican National drug dealer in New Mexico. Felt helpless without a gun. Worst feeling than Vietnam.

8. peteodie

peteodie Member

If you have your CCL your okay. If not it will cost about $250 and three weeks to get it. about $75 less if your a senior and with the vietnam comment I would guess you there. See my earlier entry Pete G

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6. I travel with a gun all the time. I have a CCW permit to let officers know that I'm not some thug. I also don't let them know that I have a CCW permit till they ask if I do. I will not permit the police to search my car for any reason if they don't have a warrent. No warrent no search. Be nice be polite but just say no. If your drunk, have drugs on the seat then well your screwed. They now have a reason to search your car. Other then that they can't. If they ask if you have a gun in the car say Yes. Its in the back in a gun case and its a trap shotgun. Just don't say a word about the handgun.

10. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I thought Texas law says you can carry loaded in you own car.. it is an extension of your home. Cant be on you but can be in arms reach out of site? Being unloaded and apart from ammo sounds like and ILL state law.

Correct me if wrong info

I have CCW but have carried in my pickup since i was of age.

11. peteodie

peteodie Member

Auctioneer if you are in TX then when they run your drivers licence they will know because they are the one that issue the CCL/CCW

12. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Wesley, You may be correct on carrying in the car. Seems like I remember seeing something about that recently. To some of us it doesn,t matter.In texas if you are a ccl permit holder, it is required to show your permit when asked by leo for your drivers liscense whether you are carrying or not.

Bob

13. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

smsnyder, here you go buddy. Try this & see if it helps.

i_shoot

14. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Wesley you are correct about Texas. It is legal to carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle as long as you have it out of sight, and declare it if asked by a law enforcement officer. Lie about it and you're screwed if they otherwise have reason to search your vehicle. If you're carrying don't drink, as I believe it may then become illegal, not absolutely sure on that aspect.

Dave

15. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Smsnyder, you not having a firearm when the bandito stuck a gun to you and your wifes ear, probably saved both your live's. If this turd had the upper hand on you and just wanted your cash and valuables, then there's not much you can do time wise.

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I've always had a loaded gun within reach when on a trip since I was 19 years old which was 44 years ago. I have never had a CCW license or whatever they want to call them and never will. I am an American citizen and don't need one. I have been stopped a few times in those 44 years and never had a problem with the law, a speeding ticket a couple of times, warnings mostly, I didn't bring my gun up and they didn't ask. If I am asked I am on the way to or from the range. Never say you are carrying a gun because you are afraid of someone. I was stopped in Texas 5 years ago with 4 others in my Suburban, it was full as it could be of guns and ammo. The Texas LE saw all the gun bags and ammo and asked me about it, I truthfully told him what shooting event we were headed to we talked guns for 10 minutes or so and he told me to have a good time. At the time I didn't know it was customary in TX to pull over on the shoulder to let faster cars go by so that is why he stopped me. I think TX would be the last place you would have a problem having a gun with you.

If you are going to have it in a locked case in the trunk with the ammo locked up somewhere else you are defenseless. You may as well leave them home in the safe they will do you as much good.

17. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Sliver, it's standard practice in Texas now to ask if you have any weapons in your vehicle when they stop you. Don't ask me how I know.

Dave

18. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

In Texas it is NOT customary in TX to pull over on the shoulder to let faster cars go by. In fact I got pulled over south of San Antonio (1967) and given a warning for pulling over on the shoulder to let a truck pass as we were on vacation, going to Mexico, not in a hurry and enjoying the scenery.I just got a warning.

Years later I pulled on the gravel shoulder in front of a car lot to look at a truck. When finished I proceeded on the shoulder to another car lot on the corner right across the street, where I had been earlier. I was waved forward by a police officer just a little further down. I told him I just crossed the street and had been to this lot a little earlier and was going back to look at this truck again. Even showed him the salesman's card to him. He proceeded to issue me a ticket for driving on the shoulder. Then he and his partner just laughed.

This t.ed me off......Long story short....Several stops later I found his boss and he read me the law from the book.(If he was really reading from it). Said you could not accelerate while on the shoulder. I then mentioned them laughing about it. Boss said I must be lying as he had not had any other complaints. I told him most people do not have all day and search all the stops I had to do to find you.

Do NOT drive on the shoulder . Ray

19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Maybe some folks who like in Texas will comment on the shoulder issue, until then you can read about it if you click on the website link. To be sure I was talking about 2006 not 1967.

20. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Ray, between San Antonio and Corpus I've seen it done a lot. Probably depends what part of Texas you're in as to how much they enforce it.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.