1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pistol shooting and Trapshooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by deadeye45, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

I shoot Pistols (.22) every week as well as frequently trap shoot, my passsion. obvously 2 diciplines. I seem to notice that I shoot better trap if I do not shoot pistol. In your opinion is one conflicting the other??
    Thanks,
    Larry

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Larry- I have shot both trap and competition pistol and there is a conflict between the two sports. Shooting pistol, total concentration must be on the front sight and it relation to the rear sight. When shooting trap, you must not concentrate on the front sight, your focus must be on the target.

Pat Ireland

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I do both as well. I cannot shoot pistol after shooting trap but I can shoot trap after shooting pistol. Obviously two completely different disciplines with eye focus in two different places.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I went through that same thing with my kid. It really screwed up his dominance and I had him re-train his eyes before leaving for a shoot. Nothing a flat of shells couldn't correct!!

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

on the other hand..I think plinking with a scoped rimfire actually helps a lot in relaxing your eyes...as well as your nerves especially in terminal flinchers

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I used to shoot both trap and IPSC style competition. I found the where-focus-eyes described by Pat Ireland created problems for both games. I eventually had to pick one over the other for serious shooting. Aches and age helped me decide to end the hand gun stuff anyway.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

7. Em_One

Em_One TS Member

I must be an exception to the comments so far. I've found if I shoot anything (rifle, pistol, shotgun) more, I do better at all of them. If I don't do any shooting of any kind is when I suffer - but I've gone from 1911's on Saturdays to 90T's on Sundays and M1 Garands on Friday to 3200's on Saturday and find I do better shooting something the day before.

Sure it takes concentration to shoot each one well and properly but as long as you can transition, I think the phrase "lead down the barrel" applies...any kind is good.

8. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

I should be more explicet, but fear it will change nothing. The pistol shoot is a ' bullseye match ' and everyone including me, shoots a red dot. Indoors, 50' and 25 yards. Seems I concentrate of the target and placing the red dot on the bull. My sense is that the pistol requires a stationary concept ( whereby one tries his best to hold the pistol still to hit a still target) and the Shotgun is a smooth fluid NON STOPPING motion trying to hit a moving target. And that seems at odds, and my simple brain can't handle both.
    Larry

9. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

My eyesight doesn't let me shoot "bullseye" any more but they are two different styles of shooting. Bullseye pistol shooting is deliberate, concentrated and limited time muscle tense, light squeeze shooting. Shotgun is quick, reflex oriented and motion based. It took me quite a while not to stop the shotgun when I slapped the trigger. I still shoot silohete (sp) once in a while, just for fun.

JON

10. ismah

ismah Member

Larry, I shoot old beer cans with my Air Soft 45 in my shop. I've noticed that when I'm on the trap range I get real thirsty.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

deadeye45- My comment was based on open sights. When I shot bullseye, many years ago, only open sights were legal. A 2700 match is great fun.

Pat Ireland

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I shot both Bullseye Pistol and Trap for a couple of years. I evidently was fortunate I could go out and shoot trap and walk right off the field and into the pistol range and shoot league.

It never seemed to affect my score one way or the other any way I had to choose one or the other as I could not afford to shoot both.

Bob Lawless

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Pistols and shotguns can cause some guys fits. I know some guys that after the shoot an o&u they forget to work the action on a pump shotgun. I also know guys who try and pump their auto loaders once in a while. Hard to say what the real culprit is. It has never taken me more then a shot or two to get back in the groove as the two are so totally different I can't see how one has any effect on the other. My .45 goes off with about the amount of pressure I put on my shotgun trigger before I call for a target. A tiny bit of take up and BANG!! A fat round ball is heading down range. They say that trap is 90% mental and maybe it is.

I have started shooting long range rifle ( 600 to 1200 yards) and although very different then pistol shooting I am keenly aware that any small bump, wiggle, flinch, twitch, burp. fart or too much coffee can affect the round in the barrel by the time it gets to 800 yards. I have never sat down and "slapped" my rifle trigger or applied the same force I do on my handgun or shotgun to my rifle as it would go" BANG" long before that point of pressure as although it has a two stage trigger like all my guns it has a lighter 2 1/2 pound trigger.

I dry fire whatever gun I am about to shoot at least 2 or 3 times. This goes a long way towards putting your head in the right place for the task at hand. The shotgun can become mind numbingly boring and as my inattention sets in, I soon hear "LOST". The rifle and the handgun require total concentration.

Which as most of us have heard from many pro's both on trapshooters.com, the local club, and at clinics we have paid money to attend, Let everything go between shots then concentrate on only that next target when it's your turn to shoot again. Easier said then done for me with the shotgun!
    The rifle and handgun it seems just the natural thing to do. I think this is because of the lack of a stopping point.

How many times you broke 25 straight only to have to wait 10 minutes for the trap in front of you to finish up? How many times have you gone out and missed the first target out and then ran another 24?

My feeling is that without having any kind of stoppage the average shooter does better. I suspect that research would prove that people who shoot 50 per trap shoot better scores with that format then the 4 trap method/ Crappy traps throwing outlaw lefts not included!

Why are some people good with a handgun, rifle, shotgun and a bow and arrow? Good habits and good vision is what I think.

That being said I can't see where shooting a shotgun at targets or Starlings does my rifle or hand gun shooting any good. The rounds down range concept applies within a discipline in my opinion. Jeff

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Pistols and shotguns can cause some guys fits. I know some guys that after the shoot an o&u they forget to work the action on a pump shotgun. I also know guys who try and pump their auto loaders once in a while. Hard to say what the real culprit is. It has never taken me more then a shot or two to get back in the groove as the two are so totally different I can't see how one has any effect on the other. My .45 goes off with about the amount of pressure I put on my shotgun trigger before I call for a target. A tiny bit of take up and BANG!! A fat round ball is heading down range. They say that trap is 90% mental and maybe it is.

I have started shooting long range rifle ( 600 to 1200 yards) and although very different then pistol shooting I am keenly aware that any small bump, wiggle, flinch, twitch, burp. fart or too much coffee can affect the round in the barrel by the time it gets to 800 yards. I have never sat down and "slapped" my rifle trigger or applied the same force I do on my handgun or shotgun to my rifle as it would go" BANG" long before that point of pressure as although it has a two stage trigger like all my guns it has a lighter 2 1/2 pound trigger.

I dry fire whatever gun I am about to shoot at least 2 or 3 times. This goes a long way towards putting your head in the right place for the task at hand. The shotgun can become mind numbingly boring and as my inattention sets in, I soon hear "LOST". The rifle and the handgun require total concentration.

Which as most of us have heard from many pro's both on trapshooters.com, the local club, and at clinics we have paid money to attend, Let everything go between shots then concentrate on only that next target when it's your turn to shoot again. Easier said then done for me with the shotgun!
    The rifle and handgun it seems just the natural thing to do. I think this is because of the lack of a stopping point.

How many times you broke 25 straight only to have to wait 10 minutes for the trap in front of you to finish up? How many times have you gone out and missed the first target out and then ran another 24?

My feeling is that without having any kind of stoppage the average shooter does better. I suspect that research would prove that people who shoot 50 per trap shoot better scores with that format then the 4 trap method/ Crappy traps throwing outlaw lefts not included!

Why are some people good with a handgun, rifle, shotgun and a bow and arrow? Good habits and good vision is what I think.

That being said I can't see where shooting a shotgun at targets or Starlings does my rifle or hand gun shooting any good. The rounds down range concept applies within a discipline in my opinion. Jeff

15. Hollywood Marine

Hollywood Marine TS Member

I hav no problems switching between smallbore, high power,bullseye pistol, and trap. That said, I can miss any target, if I don't concentrate, and this is applicable to all shooting disciplines.

16. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have eye dominance issues. I find that if I've shot pistol during the week, I do better at trap on the weekends. In weeks I've shot a lot of pistol, I do really well at trap. I'm hypothesizing it helps my brain to pay more attention to what the right eye sees. Unfortunately, it only seems to work for 50-100 birds, then everything seems to go back to normal.

Trap shooting is like instinct shooting and has no effect on my aimed pistol shooting.

17. crusha

crusha TS Member

It reminds me of the Bruce Lee statement about how water can flow, crash, or trickle, depending on what is required for the task. "Be like water, my friend." The task for us is hitting the target, and it can require different things, depending whether you're shooting arrow vs. bullet vs. shot pattern, stationary vs. moving target, etc. vs. etc.

What archery has taught me vs. my gun shooting, is that there are very few universal rules that "cross over" from one type of shooting to another. When it comes to the specific mechanics of shot execution for hitting different types of targets, different things are, simply, different - and that's all there is to it.

We're happy when things appear similar, or seem to "make sense." But I eventually realized, after you shoot a winning score, they don't give you a quiz testing your understanding of how you did it, before giving you the trophy. And you don't get extra points because it agrees with what you've learned in other sports.

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Using a handgun with open sights shooting a still bullseye is the exact opposite eye technique used for shotgunning a moving clay. With the handgun, the eye is on the sights with the bullseye seen peripherally, 6 oclock hold. With a shotgun, the eye/s are locked on the clays leading edge and the bead or reference is seen with the peripheral vision.

Using a center fire scoped rifle on a running silhouette target is the same as used in shotgunning with one difference. You use the horizontal cross wire to align the proper lead necessary to hit the target. The + is in front of the target as it's moving at a good clip.

Hap

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well Hap there is another factor involved in the different disciplines. Which would be trigger control. I shoot a Trap gun by slapping the trigger when the picture is right.

I shoot the handgun with trigger control a slow steadily increasing pressure on the trigger until the shot breaks where and when I want it to happen.

buzz-gun said

"The task for us is hitting the target, and it can require different things, depending whether you're shooting arrow vs. bullet vs. shot pattern, stationary vs. moving target,"

He correct but he doesn't take it far enough in each discipline there are certain thing that have a major impact on hitting the target. More so than the others the trick is to recognize the differences and concentrate on the things that propagate success in that discipline. If they can be controlled your success rate will go up.

Bob Lawless

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

One benefit from shooting pistol, or doing just about any other sport, that can help trapshooting, is the mental discipline that can be gained. We need to learn how to focus all of our attention for a couple of seconds. Most other sports also require this.

Most of us think we look at the bird and concentrate on shooting the bird, but unfortunately, we do it at a level far below the level of top shooters. When I look at my birds when I am shooting well, I clearly see a nice orange disk. When Phil Kiner looks at his birds, he clearly sees and concentrates only on the leading edge of the birds. I don't think I really know what concentration really means. I wounder what Tiger Woods sees when he is about to hit an eight foot put for $50,000.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.