1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pistol & revolver ammo ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I've got a Springfield Arms XDS & a S&W 642---what rds should I use for range practice. I got some personal defense ammo, but I think it would be a waste of $$$ to shoot that on the range. Talking about 45 acp & 38 spl.

I not a hand gun shooter but shoot my handguns every 4 months.

Phil Berkowitz

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Shoot the 230 grain ball type ammo in the .45. Winchester USA, Remington UMC, Federal American Eagle all decent and about the lowest price. Functions great and usually pretty clean.

For the .38 special, target vel full wadcutters are very pleasant to shoot although not usually found on sale. The 130 grain ball ammo from the big three mentioned above will be the best buy.

Might also want to check with what ever range you intend going to as many have restrictions on the type of ammo you can use (lead free, etc)

3. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I'd run some of that personal defense ammo through the XDs to make sure it feeds well. It's expensive but you need to know what to expect with it when it counts.

Just my opinion of course.

Bob

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Bob thanx it makes mucho sense---never thought of it---was never a fan of auto loaders for carry--- but it fits in my shorts pocket real great & I'm very comfortable with a pistol that has a grip safety.

Phil Berkowitz

5. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I've had decent luck with the Federal FMJ rounds from Walmart.

6. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Me too. Federal and Remington from Wal Mart. Good paper punching ammo, shoots better than my old eyes can. Save my brass and load my own after that.

7. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Well practice makes for perfection but like others on here I would run some of my defense rounds through that Springfield to be sure she'll feed them. Now I take it you don't handload pistol ammo. I load just about everything I shoot. I handload for practice "agency" equal (same velocity and style/weight bullet) ammo for practice with our issue pistol. Saves a bunch. The issue ammo we carry is like $21.95 for 25 rounds. For practice we have to supply our own ammo. I load my own for practice ammo at about $7.50 for 50 rounds. Works for me.....

8. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

635G. How do you like the XDS.Have you carried it yet, and how does it carry. I am looking to get one, but I may wait until the 9 comes out, supposedly for Christmas. Let me know your thoughts on it for a carry gun.

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Its real comfy in a pair of shorts with a deep pocket, weight feels the same as my S&w 642. I think its an excellent cary gun--its thinner than my revolver--hupe they come out with a crimsin trace for it.

Phil

10. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Guinner16, I don't know how you feel about 9MM but I would look at 40 S&W an a minimum. 45 ACP even better. Our agency went to the 40 in the last 3 years and I for one am thankful. However, I must say as I have said before, I am from the Elmer Keith school of balistics. But what you may run into today is with a 9MM you'll be underguned. What we found out that the 9MM was strong on peretration but dismal on stopping power. Just MHO.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I handload but do occasionally buy .38SPL factory loads to get the brass and especially the boxes. MidwayUSA sells Fiocchi 148-grain wadcutter target loads for $19.99 per box of 50 (URL above). I purchased five boxes several years ago and found them to be very good. The cases are real brass (not just brass-plated), the primer pockets are normal in size, the brass lasts a long time and the boxes have plastic trays that hold the rounds, so they last as long as the brass does.

MidwayUSA also lists numerous .45ACP loads in the twenty dollar range for boxes of 50 from many manufacturers, both foreign and domestic. I've never bought any of them as I buy new Remington brass in bulk for that caliber and 50-round plastic storage boxes for it. Such boxes are not marketed for .38SPL full wadcutters; the ones that are available in that caliber are much too tall for that bullet type.

Ed

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Fred, I find empty handgun casings on the tables at the indoor range I belong to that look like brass but are surprisingly light when picked up and can be deformed easily, suggesting that they actually are aluminum. And at another club's outdoor ranges, the range cleanup guys use a magnet to pick up casings before getting out the broom; some of the ones their magnet attracts look like brass. They use the magnet so they can keep the scrap metals separated at least that much.

They might exist in other centerfire cartridges, but I've never seen this with anything but straight-walled handgun casings. However, you can probably remember when Remington Gun Club shells used to have brass-plated steel heads. Now they are just bare steel.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.