1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pistol reloading ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by THALL, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THALL

THALL Member

I am thinking about getting into pistol reloading for a .40 cal. Thoughts on reloaders, primers & bullets for plinking would be appreciated. Thanks. Tim Hall

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'd suggest checking into how cheap you can purchase .40 cal handguns ammo for your use.

If you insist, I'd check with Dillon reloaders...

beyond that, the skies the limit. search for Alliant, Hodgdon powders....

good luck..

3. twotimer

twotimer Member

I got a Hornaday lock n load progressive. Works very well and you can reload a lot in a very short time! Mike

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

If you want to reload the 40, invest in a Bulge Buster(lee) or one of the other company's models.

If you don't, your going to get frustrated at the range!

5. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

I don't load 40 but just about everything else on a Dillon 550. Great loader, great company. My machine is 30 + years old and still going strong. F/S

6. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I have a Dillon 550 set up fpr .45ACP and a Hornady Lock&Load
    set up for .40 S&W. I much prefer the Hornady. Power Pistol
    is a good choice for powder for the .40 I load lots of range
    brass plenty of it shot in Glocks and it feeds perfectly in my
    STI .40 without any special resizing procedures.

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

About 5 or 6 years ago I had a Dillon 550 and when I tried someone elses Hornady LNL AP I decided to sell the Dillon and get the Hornady. Nothing wrong with a Dillon 550 just wanted something different. I have the auto case feeder hooked up on the LNL
    toolmaker251_2008_030386.jpg

8. 6chuter

6chuter Member

You need to worry about breaking all of them at the 16yd before investing in something new!

9. james25889

james25889 Member

Tim I do all my pistol reloading on a Dillon 550 I'm very happy with it. The only other loader I would consider is the Hornady. I use CCI primers got them for about 125 per 5k. Use bullseye powder and 180 gr lead bullets. I bought a bunch of the lead bullets they are $44 a thousand. My cost is about $75 a thousand. PM me if you have any questions. James Wilkerson

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The link above will take you to a thread on reloading the .40 S&W that has some good information.

Jim Skeel

11. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

You need to decide how much you will shoot the pistol to determine what loader to choose. A single stage will work if you batch load.

If you don't plan to shoot a lot, your money may be better spent buying factory ammo than a high end loader.

you might also consider buying a .22 clone of your centerfire handgun and save on ammo costs.

I recently bought a Walther made Colt 1911 in .22 cal that looks and operates like my .45 auto. You can practice sight alighnment and trigger control with bulk pak .22 ammo at low cost.

The main difference is the recoil and the hole in the target isn't as big.

My .03 cents.

ed

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Wife just got me a Hornady Lock 'N' Load single stage for Christmas with .40 S&W, .44Mag and .223 dies. I'll let you know how it is after i get a chance to start spitting out some finished product. Heck Hornady had a deal going where you got 500 Hornady XTP bullets for free for buying the loader. I sent off for the free bullet offer and had them in 2 weeks. One thing is for sure, Hornady knows how to treat their customers. The loader seems to be very well made.
    grntitan_2009_250398.jpg

13. JD45

JD45 Member

If you mainly load one pistol caliber I'd suggest the Dillon Square Deal-B.

For plinking and non-competitive shooting just pick a decent powder and buy bullets and primers that cost the least. Cast bullets are fine if you know where to find them cheap.

14. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

yup square deal B

15. Reinz

Reinz Member

Save time and frustion, start right - get a Dillon.

1-800/223-4570

You will not regret it.

The "Spolar" of metallic shooting.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    One thing not mentioned in this thread are carbide dies. These preclude the need to lube the cases before resizing. Carbide dies are made for almost any straightwall case, like .40 S&W.

17. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Don't reload 40 since I don't shoot too much of it, but do all else on a Dillon 650 and I love it. Spend the money once and get the best, you will not regret it.

18. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I bought an XL 650/case feeder many years ago & load 38/357 & 40SW on it. Their service & free replacement parts...forever, is the best in the business. I load a gazillion of 'em then chuck the machine under the bench, sometimes for years at a time. With the proviso that I don't reload to save money; but for convenience, end product quality/variety. Loading .357's with a Rockchucker is gonna offer the most in savings; but your time and effort has to be worth something. Um, I spent $800 for a 'lectric drive on the P/W just so I wouldn't have to pull tits, and can crank out a flat of shells in 30min.

best...mike

19. build4u

build4u Member

I used to be a pretty highly ranked ipsc competetor, traveled all over the country shootin 20 to 30 thousand rounds a year of strictly hand loaded ammunition. Only one word in pistol reloading, Dillon. Figure out the volume you will truely shoot and look at the correct model. After having case feeders on my 1050 and for shotgun I use the sl-900, I could never buy a press with out it for any kind of volume, but thats me. The 550 is a versatile work horse easily adapted to multiple calibers. The Square Deal if still made is a quick little press for lower or more normal volumes at a reasonable price. The 650 is a model I never owned that is extremely popular for the price with many options available. The 1050 stands alone and are even used commerialy. I believe is the only one without the lifetime warranty. I never owned the 650 or Square Deal but I have owned or own every press they have made since the mid 80s and still now plenty of guys with the other models.

20. glenns

glenns Member

I use a Lee Classic 4 hole Turret press - $104 at Midway. I load it like a single stage loader. I double check that I have not double loaded a round.

Can't beat it for the price. I load 9 mm, .40 S&W, .38 spl and .45 ACP with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.