1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pistol red dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tcouch, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcouch

tcouch Member

It’s getting cold and rainy here so I'm going to start shooting indoors. I have a Ruger 512MKIII I purchased earlier this year and I'm thinking about putting a red dot sight on it. It came with a sight rail, so why not.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of sight? I have been looking around and it seems some get very expensive, my budget is around $100. Will my $100 get something worth buying?

Thank you,

Tim

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

WalMart usually has some in stock for around $40.00. HMB

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

For a 22 the $40 red dot sights will work fine. A simple dot reticle is all is needed on a handgun (I believe that the Red Dot $39 dollar sight has a 3 minute dot). Even the cheap ones have multiple brightness settings for indoor or outdoor fun. Go for it they are a blast to shoot and 22 ammo is cheap.

--- Chip King ---

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Check out the link above.

Most are more suitable for rifles, but there are some that will work on pistols.

Primary Arms optics are pretty good -- for the price.

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Second the recommendation of Primary Arms.

6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I have a Bushnell Trophy on my MK II target.

Been on over 4 years works great, has 4 different site pictures with dot's going down to 1 MOA.

Paid $74 then, see them on sale all the time for around $79 now.

7. tcouch

tcouch Member

Thank you all for your replies.

Tim

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ultra dot 1" will be best bang for buck on that ruger.

9. Paul in Mn

Paul in Mn Member

I used a Mueller Quickshot last year. Less than $100. Joebob Outfitters

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Mueller_Scopes_s/8.htm

I believe its every bit as good as my Ultra Dot.

10. tcouch

tcouch Member

Thank you Paul, thats what i've been looking for.

tim

11. quartering

quartering Active Member

caution! most bargain priced red dots - under $200 - are neither perfectly round nor a solid dot - they'll most likely look like an oblong, fuzzy star. see one before you buy one or be prepared to settle for what you paid for. good luck with it

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

There are many to choose from in your price range. Generally the higher priced ones give you the advantage of longer battery life ( but the batteries themselves are very expensive).

I'm using an 80 mm red dot that I got from Cabelas for $70 on a 10/22 and it is tons of fun. This may be an el-cheapo sight but in the three years I have had it it has had many hard rides on the quad and never lost its zero or failed in any way.

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

OK. Save yourself some discomfort. Go to this website and read all you can from the best.

Thank me later.

14. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Take it from a former NRA Bullseye shooter--save yourself the anguish and buy a used Aimpoint or high end Adco. I have a Kimber listed in the "For Sale" on here with an Adco that I will sell. It has a 30mm aluminum tube, glass optics and is a 3 MOA-razor sharp. You will not regret it.

Doc

15. tcouch

tcouch Member

Doc,

I was just reading about bull’s eye shooting and now I’m very interested. The reason I made this thread is because I've not shot with one before and I thought it would be fun. With all the comments I’m going to take my pistol shooting more seriously and see if I can be competitive. I'm not sure where there is to shoot in a league around here, but back home I found a club in Alton Illinois that has pistol matches every week.

Tim

16. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Tim,

I enjoyed it and was thoroughly consumed when I shot Bullseye. You can easily compete in the .22 cal. division with open sights; I started with a Ruger MarkIII before moving to a model 41. The center fire and .45 cal. events are more demanding and you will need a red dot reticle to be competative. Wait to buy a red dot until you shoot a few matches, then you will know what you need. I practiced 3 nights per week plus the weekend shoots but it was worth it; especially when you shoot your first 10X out of 10 in a match.

Good luck!

Doc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.