1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pistol question - What happened to the 10mm?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mrskeet410, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

What happened to the 10mm? Wasn't that developed for the FBI? Do they still use it? Did they ever use?

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Because of a disastrous shootout between bank robbers and the FBI in the late 80's early 90's they decided their 9mm were not good enough. I think they switched to the S&W 1006 which is a 10mm then decided in rapid fire it was not well controllable, then they switched to a 45acp.

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

toolmaker - Weren't the G-men carrying .38 snub-nosed revolvers in the that shootout?

So .45 acp is now standard carry for FBI?

4. Loyac

Loyac Member

I was under the impression the 10mm morphed into the .40 S&W... John

5. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

The 10 was and is a potent handgun. Too much so to be controlled reliably by any one but a very good shot and then only one that is not recoil sensitive. A 10 will hurt your hand when fired and then accuracy goes to pot. The .40 is a short 10 and nearly as potent without the extreme recoil but even the forty recoils a little more than the .45 when fired with 185 grain bullets. At least that is my opinion. That shoot out at the bank was ended when an agent used a 6" barreled .38 special to take out the last bad guy as I remember. It's been a long time ago and my memory might be playing tricks on me.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The big 10 suffered the same fate as the .41 magnum. Just too much of a good thing. It had to be down loaded to .40 S&W levels to be controllable by most users and by then the .40 S&W was developed and available in 9mm sized guns so there really were no advantages left for the 10mm. Then as others noted, many users went full circle and came back to the well proven .45 acp which is both powerful and controllable.

A full power 10mm does have some pretty impressive ballistics though, right up there with the .41 magnum.

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Mrskeet, I am sure the FBI in that Florida shootout were using 9mm pistols and at least 1 of the bank robbers took several hits from the FBI before being killed. I also think the perp was using a Ruger ranch rifle in 223 cal.

8. larryjk

larryjk Member

The 40 S&W pistol does not seem to have a much recoil as the 45 ACP. The oly way to really tell would be to shoot two identical guns (1911 clones) in the two calibers and evaluate the perceived recoil. I shoot a Colt 45 acp and an FN 40 S&W and the 40 seems "to me" to have much less felt recoil. But then, I am not really recoil conscious with handguns until they get above 44 magnum in recoil.

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

That FBI shoot-out perked my interest, so I googled it. I'm always surprised by all the interesting things that google can find in an instant.

Link has interesting info.

G-men were carrying a hodgepodge of weapons, many a .357 revolver loaded with .38 Special +P ammo.

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I see the recoil of the 40 and 45 is being compared. Remember the 45 is slow and the 40 can be fast. A fast 40 is a very potent round.

11. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

The 10 mm handgun is still being made today and used. True, some Colt 10 mm frames cracked. Smith on the other hand made 2 different models in 10mm. Both, without trying hard, or having special wprk done on them, or aiming hard were capable of 2 inches at 25 yds even with Corbon ammo,135 grain bullet at 1450fps and 150 gr at1250, the 135 hit 2 inches higher than the `150 never was any damage to any part of the handgun.
    When testing for recoil of 2 different handguns, you must use the same ammo for both, dontyathink!
    The most powerful 45 acp cartridge is I believe the Remington 185+P. Maybe Corbon makes one stronger I dont know.
    Both the 10 and the 40 have more powerful cartridges than the 45 acp. Dont take my word for it,look it up.
    In my opinion, the perfect handgun is the 1911SA and the 40 cal is the best cartridge. Lee
    PS I do have on, gun, thats close, the H&K P7M10, thats a 40 cal like no other.

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have an original Bren Ten...carried it when hunting sometimes until its value relegated it to safe duty....the 10mm was great to carry as a hog hunt close duty piggy slammer..seldom was more than one round needed when applied correctly to the cranial region...The Glock is actually a bit more accurate than the Bren but I still like a manual safety on a pistol better..i'm weird like that

13. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The 10 was more of a solution for a problem that was yet to be discovered. Other than a few custom calibers it's about all you would need, most found that it was just a bit more pain than fun, and they went back to more sane pistol calibers. The 9x23 and 9x25 Dillon are ones that looses your desire to play with at a rather fast rate. Some of these high intensity pistol rounds can be a handfull and take their toll on your ears. and beat up high priced guns.

I personally like the 1911 w/ 40S&W barrel..The best of all worlds.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have a Colt stainless Delta Gold Cup.

First thing I did was install a Shok-Buf (to prevent frame battering), a full length guide rod, a 24 lb recoil spring, and a Pachmayr soft A1 backstrap. The gun is set up to shoot full power loads the way God and Jeff Cooper intended.

And it is comfortable to shoot with full power loads. Yes, they're brisk, but the gun shoots softer than a Glock 20, and the grips are more ergonomically comfortable than the S&W 1006 grips, which amplified recoil to the hand.

My favorite 10mm load was the Cor-Bon that used Hornaday 135gr XTP. These were in the 1450 fps range.

The 10mm FBI reduced loads, also known as 10mm Lite, are a joke. If you want to shoot 10mm Lite, get a 40 S&W. It has the same ballistics, and most guns have a more compact frame.

The ultimate 10mm hog pistol was the Springfield Armory Omega. Big, chunky, heavy slide and dual extractors on a 1911 frame. Very soft to shoot.

As for the 10mm being "a solution for a problem that was yet to be discovered", the purpose was simple. To put a true magnum cartridge in a semi-auto handgun that would not have a bunch of issues.

15. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

One of the 10 mm is the S&W 610 revolver. Can also shoot the 40sw.
    Super accurate and more controlable than std1911 bottom feeders.
    Put a comped barrel on a 1911 and its a whole nother story.

16. Brian in Oregon

I'm having no control issues with my modified Colt Delta Gold Cup. No need for a compensator.

For an unmodified 1911 10mm, yeah, it may be slow to recover. But I feel the factory recoil spring is too light for a steady diet of full power loads. Colt probably did this so the gun would cycle a wider selection of ammo. I don't know if my 24 pound spring would work with "10mm Lite". I don't know, and don't care, because I only shoot full power loads in it.

17. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

No problems with my ported 10mm Springfield Omega.

18. Brian in Oregon

<i>"No problems with my ported 10mm Springfield Omega. "</i>

Lucky dog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is the down side to using a 24 lb recoil spring in a glock 20 10 mm