1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pistol Powder - TiteGroup or HP-38

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WesleyB, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I know this is shotgun forum... but i see alot of pistol loaders here also.

I have only used TiteGroup and its getting hard to find around here. Right now HP-38 is available and I have never used it. Is it good to use or wait till I can order Titegroup. Pros and Cons. My family shoots and reloads 45acp 9mm and 40 S&W

Thanks
    WesleyB

2. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Go for it, it works very well and burns clean. Just don't try to jack up the velocities too much it's better suited for medium to target loads. HP 38 is the same as WW231.

3. WesleyB

Point well taken. Thank you both for your inputs.. We just load for target practice. Not a believer in pushing to the edge when it comes to reloads of any kind.

Thanks again..Will do research on the WW231 also.

WesleyB

4. TURNKEY321

TURNKEY321 Member

I have used herco in my .40 with good results. If you look, it has very similar properties as Power Pistol. Tim

5. DOBER01

DOBER01 TS Member

WW 231 works best in smaller brass that fills the case without compression. I like Titegroup for .38 better but 231 works as a substitute.Meters well.

6. WesleyB

Thank you very much...for your information.

7. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

You might think I am too old by my reply...

Unique. It is the Red Dot of the handgun world. Very flixible with good results. 231 is my second favorite. If loading cast bullets in the 9mm, use Blue Dot, they need a slow start or you will strip out the bullets on the fast 1-9 or 1-10 twist common the to 9.

8. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I've loaded 100's of thousands of 45 and 9mm rounds with 231\hp38 both with jacketed and lead bullets not so many in 40 cal. Never had a lead problem. A very good online source of loads besides the powder company pages is http://www.reloadammo.com/ which lists loads from individual reloaders. As always use caution.

9. WesleyB

I use to use Unique a long time ago about 30 years ago in pistol. Loved everything about it except it was kind of dirty when fired. When I started back to pistol loading last year I started with Titegroup. At the present time around here... its hard to get but HP-38 is pretty common. Also alot of Unique also it around.

Brent... your never too old !!!!!

Thanks
    WesleyB

10. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Unique has been reformulated to burn cleaner, and it really does.
    I stopped using it in the early 80's but my wife recently bought some for a present and I tried it in my 45 ACP SW 945. One hole groups and burns clean. I am glad she made that "mistake".

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

HP38 is a great powder for the pistol rounds you mentioned. It isn't just for powder puff target rounds though, check Hodgdon's data to convince yourself of that. My favorite .45 ACP (+p) bowling pin load uses this stuff to great effect. Try a pound.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

For target loads, Clays is a good pistol powder. Plus you can load 12 ga target loads with it. I buy it in 8 lb jugs and the low charge weights make it very economical as well.

For .38 SPL, I use 2.7 gr of Clays with a 130 gr bullet for CAS. Very accurate and low recoil.

3.0 gr with 125 gr bullet in 9mm

4.0 gr with 200 gr bullet in .45 ACP

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

difference between hp 38 and titegroup

hp 38 or titegroup

hp 38 vs titegroup

pros and cons of power pistol powder
target loads for my 40cal with hp38 powder
titegroup is hard to find