1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pistol info 9mm or 40 cal

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike Battista, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Call me for a Glock.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

2. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

If cost is a factor, get a 22. 22's are the best all around for fun and low cost. I'd recommend a used Ruger Single Six. Slower to load, so you're taking time and not wasting ammo. Comfortable to shoot.

If choosing between 40 and 9mm, I'd go for the 40, but that's me. You can buy 9mm for cheap, but I've never tried the 40 and would like to. I believe 40 is what many law enforcement are using now. I had a Glock in 45 cal, and could never get used to the grip or trigger. I sold it. I like my 15 year old Sig P229 most, but I also like Colt 45acp, and S&W 38's and 44's. I've had many others, but those are my favorites. It's a matter of preference, and you really can't tell till you've had it a while and shot it if you will like it. They all will cost you to shoot. Go handle some guns and find what you like.

3. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

For a less expensive firearm look at Stoeger, they are the same as A Berretta Cougar as they own Stoeger. These are fairly well priced, The Collection Connection has them for $429 including tax and background.

If you carry or are looking at armed guard duty just remember your life may depend on your choice and the high point is not what I would want in that situation. Although any gun is better than a rock.

One more suggestion would be to look at the next post for training.

4. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Check out this website for reality training. Gabe has been around for years.

As for 40 or 9mm just choose your favorite by going to an indoor range and renting booth of them. The cost of ammo is not a big difference.

Just wait for the chime in of the 45 guys and remember a gun is better than a rock.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have shot them both and carry a Glock 17 High Cap 9MM ... I carry it and use it for protection so the cost of ammo is not a concern, reliability is ... When seconds count and the Cops are only minutes away make mine "Glock" ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Buy a cheap automatic, that way when it malfunctions you will be dead and won't have to worry about 9mm or 40 cal. Not a good idea. Get a 38 caliber revolver to carry as an armed guard. It is reliable and the ammo is inexpensive. A Smith and Wesson model 15, Combat Masterpiece, would be a good choice. You can probably get a good deal on one from a retired law enforcement officer. HMB

7. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Email me for a Kimber. You can have the a 45 and get a 22 slide and barrel for practice.

Ron Wilson
    rw993@aol.com

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I would also chime in and say if you have little experience with a sidearm, and are going to perform Armed Guard duties, get a quality used revolver. You will spend half the money, and have a safe, reliable firearm you can get the most out of with little training.

Realistically, the majority of Armed Professionals train as little as required by law or company/department policy.

This is not a flame, just a fact.

As far as the never ending debate between the 9 and the 40? Bullet placement is more important than bullet size.

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Do you get to choose your firearm or are you limited by your employer? Do they allow you a choice on caliber as well?

If you have a high opportunity to be in a gunfight,,,,i.e. armored car duty,,,,Glock or Sig,,,,must be a REASON that LE carry these on the streets today!!! You can find a G17 or G19 for less than $525 new. If you call Glock direct, they give a discount for LE, military and IIRC security. Best of luck to you.

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

40mm is a pretty large gun to try to conceal. But I did always enjoy shooting the M-79.

Curt

11. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Stay as far away from a High Point as you can. Period.

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Listen to coach.

13. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Glock Pros: It's a Glock. Doesn't care if you're right or left handed. Mags are almost 'cheap' .. $25 new on the internet. Fairly light. Sets the standard for reliability.

Glock Cons: You either like the grip or not. You either like the trigger or not. Cheap lead practice bullets are an absolute no-no with a Glock. Stay away from reloads, esp. with a 40. Crummy factory sights - unless you get the night sights option.

As for 9 or 40, ammo is about the same, the 40 being about 25% more on average. Check out where you plan on getting ammo. Many places are bingo on 9mm, and the places that do have it have the price confused with 45ACP. Ain't going to do you no good if you can't get ammo for it. The places that still have ammo seem to only have 40.

The guy above has a good deal on police trade Glock 22s (.40).

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

High Point is low priced. What are the negatives functionally?

15. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Shooting coach sounds like to me that he might have some law enforcement experience. As an ex-cop myself, the debate over 9mm vs. ,40 cal is as significant as 7 1/2's or 8's. If you will be carrying a handgun on which YOUR LIFE depends, it has to fit you just as a trap gun has to fit you. If the 'spit' ever hits the fan, it's your training with a firearm that you shot extensively that will save your 'assets'. Winning a gun battle isn't about caliber, it's about keeping cool and making your shots count.

LA

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Why not 357 magnum Smith revolver that you like? That way, you can practice with home reloads in 38 special and load factory dedicated combat ammo in 357 when you are on the job? Kinda splits the difference? 38 special is cheap to shoot and to reload..at least it was when I last did some.

17. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Porcupine, you hit the nail on the head. Your post says it all.

18. texas_shooter

texas_shooter TS Member

+1 for porcupine, and you're not an "ex-cop" just a former cop haha.... im a police officer as well, however, most my exp. was behind a sws before policing and still a lil' even today... ive had enough rattles to vouch for handguns though. now 40 vs. 9, as said before... its all about placement. ive seen many threats end do to the 9. for the highpoint, stay away from it! they are cheap guns for a reason, but would prob make a good paper weight? glocks are good and funuction like they were designed to. you either hate em' or love em' though, kinda like accuracy intl. rifles. if you are really stuck on a budget look into getting revolver and if you set on an auto stick with a double action. all the different handguns will point and shoot differ, try to shoot as many types and calibers as possible before you buy. dont let anyone talk you into something. odds are is that when things go south, its your life at stake, not his. just my 2 cents...

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Any full size Glock, the M17 is my favorite. If there is a need to be armed then be armed like you mean it.

Do not even think about the HiPoint. May as well pack a sack of rocks if you are only concearned with low cost. Seriously, those are absolute crap.

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Someone has insulted the sack of rocks! LOL

The Miami Cluster was a gunfight where everything that could have gone wrong for the good guys went wrong, including their tactics.

I still say, for the new or inexperienced Armed Professional on a tight budget, a used Smith & Wesson M-10 will get you home at the end of the shift.

The old standard, the 158 gr SWCHP (Semi Wadcutter Hollow Point) in +P (High Velocity) configuration will surprise you with its' effectiveness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.