1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pistol for walking a dog?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nukinfuts, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

I take my blk lab for walks deep in the woods.Sometimes it gets close to dusk and walking out it gets kinda spooky. I would like some oppinions on what kind of pistol you would buy (under $500) that might give me some kind of secure feeling? Thanks for it. Billy

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Do you have a concealed carry permit, or does your municipality permit open carry?

If not, you'll be breaking the law.

Take some pepper spray.

3. DB3006

DB3006 Member

Get a bigger dog!

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Just cause it gets spooky you want to carry a gun? Dude ... that aint a good enough reason caused your scared of the dark. You will end up hurting yourself or another person. I would suggest you take your walks a little earlier so you can get home before the spookies come out at night.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You don't need a carry permit if yuou are in the woods. If you are trespassing, or in city limits, it might be a different issue.

Get a .38 revolver and carry it in plain vies in a belt holster.

But check the laws in your area.

HM

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Can't beat a 2" J frame S&W loaded with 125 +P JHP .38 specials. Easy to carry, reliable and enough power to get you out of a jam. You shouldn't have a problem getting a nice used one for $300 to $350.

7. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

I do have a Pa gun permit. My thought was I would like something that I can put in an inside coat pocket.Or a over the shoulder holster...Oh yea Lumpy your an a$#hole

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Dont you have a shotgun you could tote with ya in the woods?

If all ya want is a pistol to bolster your courage go down to your local pawn shop or any gun store and get yourself a cheap Tauras 38 special or any 38 revolver but be careful ... spookies are impervious to guns and they will always be there in the night, just out of sight over there in the darkness ... OH MY GAWD ... I think I saw one over there outside the window in the darkness or was it just in my head?

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

HM has It right but I might consider the .357 option- you can stil shoot cheap .38's with the .357 for plinking then splurge for some defence rounds for protection.

There is nothing like the simplicity and reliability of a solid wheel gun, especially at dark.

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

380 Wather PPK.

Actually I thought he made sense for once. Read your own post. Do you need a gun or a flashlight.

Don

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Is that Pa gun permit issued as a conceal/carry permit or just a permit allowing you to own a gun?

If it is just allowing you to own a gun than you cannot carry the gun concealed in your pocket or under your coat and it must be exposed for the spookies to see.

I may be an a$#hole but at least I aint afraid of the dark. ;-))) Sorry I couldn't resist that one ... truly I really am sorry.

12. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

If one was to buy a .38 What maker would be the most reliable. Even if it would cost up to $800 or less new..Billy

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Hey Nukin, don't let the silly boys get to you. Being armed on a dog walk makes good sense. It is about being prepared not about being scared. I wouldn't think of taking my 'boys' for a walk with out bringing a shooter and I do this serveral times each week.

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Billy ... if your bound and determined to get a pistol you cant go wrong with the Tauras line of guns. They are reliable, less expensive than other manufactures and comes with a lifetime warranty. A basic 38 or .357 snubby should not run you very much at all. Do yourself a favor as well and purchase it locally from a place that can teach you to shoot it.

There are more people shot with there own guns than we ever hear about and the main reason they are shot with there own gun is either they do not know how to use it and it gets taken away just before you get shot or you accidentally shoot yourself because you dont know what your doing.

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Smith&Wesson for me. Nice balance nice trigger.

16. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Wolf I haf to agree. It's not the chance of a person that I would have a confrontation with.Just a security choice that I would like to have. A guy down the road bagged a 550lb black bear last year around here!

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

Well ... if that is a concern forget most of the pistols that have been mentioned cause they will only infuriate a bear of that size and your still going to be in very serious trouble when the bear gets done with your dog.

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Thick skulled animals is hard to kill. lol

19. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

If it's big bears you're worried about, forget a pistola. Carry a shotgun with a magazine full of 00 or slugs.

20. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

First, you MUST have the mentality it takes to kill another human, there's no such thing as "have a handgun to scare off bad guys." The choice of revolver vs auto-loader opens a large can of worms. Assuming you're not skilled or trained now, the auto-loader requires considerable training and regular practice so that the skilled use of the gun is 2nd nature, not something to think about for a few minutes before putting it to use.

The auto-loader relies on being in very good condition, clean, and charged with ammo that is known to operate your specific gun reliably. On the other hand, a revolver can safely be stored and carried with a cylinder full of the chosen ammo and requires no special snicking off of safeties or other action to get it in immediate "ready" mode. The revolver requires much less intense training in it's use and a person can remain reasonably skilled with less regular practice.

Where the defensive handgun is carried can be a conundrum because it must be readily available and yet at the same time safe and usually hidden. On the hip is just about the safest and quickest place but the above questions about legal carrying arise. Again, your idea must be linked with the willingness and mentality to destroy another human being regardless of the circumstances and the willingness, money, and time to learn, take the training, and practice.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.