1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pirates captured after attacking the wrong ship

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Joe Potosky, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Doh! Pirates captured after attacking the wrong ship

From a distance the large ship on the horizon looked like the perfect target, ripe for a successful spot of piracy.

But as the Somali pirates sped toward the vessel sailing near the Seychelles, they were horrified to see two boats and a helicopter set off from their target and launch their own counter-attack.

They had failed to spot, in the dazzling sun, that the 'merchant ship' they thought they were intercepting was, in fact, a French naval ship bristling with cannons, radar technology and armed commandos.

When the three pirate boats were spotted heading toward them the frigate Nivose, one of the ships patrolling the region as part of the European Union anti-piracy mission Atalanta, headed into the sun to camouflage its true identity before turning to confront its attackers.

When the boats were close enough, Lieutenant Commander Jean-Marc le Quilliec sent his commandos out on outboards, with a helicopter to provide air support.

The helicopter fired two warning shots to stop the three boats from fleeing and within minutes the 11 pirates had surrendered.

Two of the attack boats were small skiffs which the pirates used as attack vessels and the third was a nine metre (30 foot) mother ship, used to transport supplies such as petrol, water and food.

Only one pirate was left on board the mother ship which had nothing on board except fuel and potates, said Lt Commander le Quilliec.

"He apparently thought the pirates had hijacked us," he said.

The commandos found two Kalashnikov assault rifles on one of the skiffs, ammunition, a rocket-launcher and five grenades.

The 11 captured pirates, some of them very young, were ordered to sit on the deck with their hands on their heads as French forces searched them.

"The guys we catch are getting younger and younger," said one navy soldier. "Look at this one, he can't be 17."

A French navy spokesman confirmed the capture of 11 pirates.

"The pirates are currently on the Nivose," he said.

"For the moment we don't have any indication of what the European Union forces want to do with these pirates."

The world's naval powers are dispatching an ever-growing fleet of warships in response to a scourge which is threatening to disrupt one of the world's busiest maritime trade routes.

In a bid to avoid the patrols, some pirate groups have ventured further out into the Indian Ocean.

Several incidents have been reported recently in the Seychelles, a small Indian Ocean nation with a thriving tourist trade, which is a base for foreign fishing fleets.

On Sunday anoather three pirates were apprehended in Seychelles waters.

"The three men identified themselves as Somali. They were travelling in a six-metre skiff with several barrels of fuel and water onboard,' said a Seychelles government spokesman.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sympathizing with the pirates,
    But how in the Hell else would you make a living in Somalia?

I guess it's better than sharpening a stick and going to find some dinner.

HM

3. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Finally....the French attacked.

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

off wit dare heads!

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I still say just go ahead and publicly hang them as you capture them. I bet it all stops within a dozen public hangings.

6. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

Personally, I don't give a damn how they make a living in Somalia. It's not my problem, but having them kidnap my countrymen is my business- execute them all and the problem will be solved. Hoggy got it right.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Didn't they have to "walk the plank" many years ago?

8. Brad Metcalf

Brad Metcalf TS Member

Probably not politicly correct but my thoughts are.

Kill them
    Put the corpse's back on thier boats
    Burn the boats

I don't give one red piss about them or thier situation.

They are thieves and outlaws.

I do not understand why we continue to play around with them.

Mildot

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Vive La France!

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

18 foot boat in ocean waters. Dumb and dumber.

They got no place to put their treasure chest. And I'll bet the damn parrot flew away too.

That humming noise you hear is Robert Louis Stevenson rotating rapidly in his grave.

HM

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

to those that would say that killing them would not be a deterrent???? SO What, THEY won't pirate again!!!

12. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Y'all making fun of the French better hope you never get on the wrong side of The French Foreign Legion. We'll see whooose be laughing then.

13. Hollywood Marine

Hollywood Marine TS Member

The Foreign Legion is, by definition and law, not made up of Frenchmen. That said, if the French Navy continues to perform like this, I may consider ending my boycot of things French.
    Doug

14. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Keep the boats, put the pirates back in the water.......GOOD LUCK

15. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Capture the pirates, sail into THEIR main port, hang the pirates in full view of the masses......repeat as necessary. No more pirate problem!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There was a news flash that the first thing the crew wanted to do was surrender but the female first officer said no way ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Now that's funny WPT.

18. JohnEd

JohnEd TS Member

The absolutely scariest bunch of soldiers I have ever seen was the 100 FFL marching back from Friggen PT. No wonder the fRENCH gUMMINT FORBIDS THEM FROM DOING THAT STEP IN THE COUNTRY OF fRANCE. Caps!

It has only been recently that the FFL was allowed to march in the Paris parade.

Speaking of bad asses: The FFL lost every soldier in Vietnam when they fought the Cong. They told us it was a serious blunder to get involved as they pulled out. We repeated their mistake of digging in and then getting anialated by Cong arty that was thought to be NOT THERE. Same mistake and the same result.

Seen the news lately? The French are in the streets burning vehicles AGAIN and this time it is because Sarcozy has proposed increasing the work week from 36 hours to 38. The people speak with a different accent over there in Frogville. Well I say "hang the traitors". See why out gummint and press down play and ridicule the Frenchies? If that sort of behavior catches on over here we will rename it Anarchoy as opposed to the French term Democratic demonstration of free speach and start machine gunning the Commies in the street.

I don't like em either but I hat liars and prevaricators of the truth even more.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.