1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PIONT OF IMPACT FOR HCP.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by big one, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big one

big one TS Member

what does the good hcp. shooters use for piont of impact at 27 yds.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have shot my best scores off the back fence with a gun that shoots nearly 100% high. All this means is that most all the shot is above or at the level of the front bead. I like a few under the bead. If I blow through the target and get the bead at the top of the bird, it will break, unless it is dropping. If I have a little space between the bead and the bird, I will make smoke!

Taking this gun to the 16 gets similar results.

IF I have to cover ANY bird other than one on Station Eight on the Skeet field to break it, my scores are less than stellar.

3. bigben

bigben Active Member

Good question! the majority of the great 27 yd. handicap shooters shoot impacts 15 inches high or 100% that's what we call a std. or neutral gun.many are 22 to 26 inches high, and more, what confuses a lot of less than accomplished shooters is upon calling for the target they whip the gun up sometimes a foot and think they are shooting too high a gun! Shot drops approx 4 1/2 inches at 40yds.by the time the trigger is pulled and the shot impacts the target, it has risen another foot, now you re 16 inches below the target so to be on a 100% gun at least is desireable also beware of a shooter telling you he "floats" a target, this is just because he really doesn't shoot great handicap scores. If you hold a steady gun, and move to the target with a low impacting gun, to hit the target, it has to be muzzel-shot, the barrel obscures the target most of the time and the target is lost incinerate em!

4. bigben

bigben Active Member

Good question! the majority of the great 27 yd. handicap shooters shoot impacts 15 inches high or 100% that's what we call a std. or neutral gun.many are 22 to 26 inches high, and more, what confuses a lot of less than accomplished shooters is upon calling for the target they whip the gun up sometimes a foot and think they are shooting too high a gun! Shot drops approx 4 1/2 inches at 40yds.by the time the trigger is pulled and the shot impacts the target, it has risen another foot, now you re 16 inches below the target so to be on a 100% gun at least is desireable also beware of a shooter telling you he "floats" a target, this is just because he really doesn't shoot great handicap scores. If you hold a steady gun, and move to the target with a low impacting gun, to hit the target, it has to be muzzel-shot, the barrel obscures the target most of the time and the target is lost incinerate em!

5. Shooting Coach

Some folks I know who only shoot ATA have guns that shoot 150%-200% high at the 27. I personally like to shoot most clay target sports, and do well with a 80% or higher gun. This is how I have learned to shoot two eyed right handed while being left handed, left eye dominant. (Don't ask)

With a gun near 100%, I can have a little gap between the bead and the bird and get a good break. At the 27, If I touch the bead to the bottom of the bird, my 40 point Angleport choke boils it.

As I said before, I like a few pellets below the top of the bead in case I blow through the target a little.

If a person were going to set a barrel up for 27 yard targets exclusively, 125%-150% high would not be a bad thing. If the wind took it out from under you, you will have to do some fast figuring, which is why I do not set my gun to those specs.

My Skeet gun shoots 80% high (the same as my Bunker and ATA Doubles guns). "Good" trainers have said this cannot work, so what do I know? After 51 years, I still generally shoot AA scores, and run them when I am having a good day. I prefer to sit around at the trap field, shoot a lot of bull chips with my friends, and a little trap. LOL

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shoot from the 27. My gun shoots 20 inches high. Be assured, that from the 27 yard line a gun that shoots 20 inches high can still miss targets. If anyone is interested, I can furnish very sound data to support this conclusion.

Also, just because my gun shoots 20 inches high, that does not mean that I always shoot my gun 20 inches high. A measured POI tells us where the gun shoots, not where we shoot the gun.

Pat Ireland

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Bigben, since the shot drops about 4 inches on the way to the target or the pattern board, why should that be added to the 12 inches the target often rises? When you see it on the pattern board where you are making your height estimate that four inch drop has already taken place, hasn't it?

Neil

8. bigben

bigben Active Member

Good question Neil, when done statically it would seem as such, however when shot under real conditions I can only assume that the yardage is greater, targets are dispatched by accomplished shooters about 18- 20 yds. out, so our impacts are around 47 yds, not 40 as on paper, and as wind and other factors influence targets, many find that the 100% is not enough, handicap averages in recent years have risen dramatcally , so high impacting guns seem to work,personally I find my sweetspots with my Seitz at 27 inches, p gun at 24, k-gun also at 24, and to pound targets, the gun has to be driven into the target, should a shooter wait until the target apexes, this method does not work, but if you shoot in an aggressive manner, the results are conclusive. incinerate em!

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

bigben, I get a different number when I add your two figures.

Neil

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

About 80/20 works for me One has to come to some agreement as to how to set up for both the 16 and 27. It works for me. I tried a 100/0 and didn't like it.

11. Shooting Coach

I like a few pellets under the front bead. As Pat said, sometimes the shooter does not point the gun where he should. (hate it when that happens) LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.