1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pinholes in Federal Papers -- Safe to Shoot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by prairiedog, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

I just reloaded 900 federal papers this weekend. During the last 150 I noticed pinholes in about 5 per hundred (I backlight and inspect all hulls that I reload). I'm concerned that I might have missed some hulls that have pinholes in them. Can I shoot them or do I have to reinspect the loaded hulls for pinholes?

Just out of curiosity, how many times can a federal paper hull be safely reloaded?

2. don q

don q TS Member

One little pinhole is ok but a hole on the seam will blow part of the seam out. Don't use these in an auto. I have seen these blow the brass off and the paper stays in the chamber. If not noticed it could be a bad deal. I get 3-4 reloads per casing. don q

3. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

These hulls are on their 4th reload. Some pinholes were on the seam, some were just above the brass. Most would not have been detected without backlighting them. Some were noticeable from the outside. I use them for doubles in a Beretta 682 Gold E O/U. The load is CB 1118 (WAA12 clone) wad, 18 grains Titewad, 1 oz #8s, 1200 fps. Soft shooting but hard hitting. Would you shoot them for registered targets or just use for practice? I figure in practice, I'd have more time to inspect the barrels for obstruction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.