1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pinehurst Gun Club - Memories?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FRedmon, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Just wondering if anybody ever shot at the Pinehurst Gun Club in NC??

FRedmon

2. dlhelton

dlhelton TS Member

Yes, broke my first 99, first 100 and first 199 at Pinehurst Gun Club...yes i do have fond memories of the Club.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

A gang of us used to got there every spring for the Dogwood Open. It was a great place and I have a lot of fond memories of it. The early April weather in Southern Pines was a pleasant change from Pennsylvania.

Our son, who was 10 at the time and had just started shooting trap, went along in 1992. He got an excused absence from school because he promised his teacher he would bring back the largest pine cones she had ever seen (an idea I supplied). We filled two large trash bags with them from the trees in a traffic circle near the club.

I had bought him the samllest ladies vest I could find and then had it made smaller yet to fit him. The 20-gauge 1100 he shot was taller than he was and women were taking his picture and putting dollar bills in his vest pockets for the entire four days. We only took 200 shells along for that's all the targets I thought he would want to shoot but I wound up buying a 20-box case of Remington skeet loads from the pro shop because he wanted to shoot the entire program. He shot the 8s we took along for handicap, the 9s for singles and doubles and wound up winning the junior trophy in Saturday's 200 singles - he was the only kid there as no others had apparently come up with the pine cone idea. Ironically, he just started wearing the silver belt buckle he won there a few months ago.

I could go on but I really miss the place. Another member of our old group and I were just talking about Pinehurst a week or so ago.

Is The Barn still there? Talk about your good steaks - it was to Pinehurst what the Buckhorn was to Vandalia...

Ed

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I miss Pinehurst, I miss it a lot. And Fred knows I also miss Jim Brown. The Pinehurst shooters remember Jim Brown and lots of shooters know FRedmon, but not all know they are connected.

Pat Ireland

5. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Ed, the Barn is still open!

6. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

I shot the Annie Oakley shoot in 1977, I took my wife to be Ann along with me and this was the first out of state shoot that she ever went with me to.
    Brad Dysinger

7. Joe Si

Joe Si Member

Yeah, that was the last "Big" shoot on the East Coast back in the 80's. We'd stay at the Pinehurst Hotel. It seemed that 99% of the men (mostly golfers!) at dinner would wear a Blue Blazer, not owning one I would stand out in a croud. We enjoyed going down and seeing fellow New Jersey/Pennsylvania shooters, Henry and Effie Schwartz, Frank and Greta Cesario, Roger Furiness.

8. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I shot the my first registered targets at Pinehurst while stationed at Fort Bragg with the 82nd.

Seems like somebody named Jiggs was running the club, but I may be wrong.
    Been a long time.
    Only shot there once, as a buck sargents pay was pretty meager back then, and I realized I was definately out of my financial league.

Always wanted to go back some day and was saddened to learn that it was gone, along with my youth.

Ed.

9. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

My wife and I shot there in 1991 at the Annie Oakley shoot. Was surprised that the manager had lived only 10 miles from us in upstate NY. On Saturday night's calcutta they had a buffet with the food being brought over from the Pinehurst hotel. I think the serving dishes were sterling silver. Larry Evans

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Hill Topper...remember these days??

Curt

[​IMG]

11. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Jiggs Amstutz

FRedmon

12. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Pat - this picture was taken to the right of the clubhouse. Look at how small the pinetrees were and remember how tall they were in 1993??

FRedmon

13. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Curt,

I bought a 7TU modified chute from Col. "Bull" Simon when he was head of the HALO School.

Shot skeet with him and his wife at the rod and gun club on base.
    Every thing is gone except the memories!

ed.

14. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

In the mid 90's I was stationd at Camp Lejeune and went to a Skeet Shoot in Pinehurst. What I remember was the grass around the fields was so thick that most of the broken targets would disapear.

Also the grey haze in the shot fall area.

Great place to shoot and a piece of history lost.

Ronbo

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ronbo- The club was in the sand hills area of NC and the soil was sand. The gray haze you saw in the shot fall area was shot. With a screen sieve, you could fill a five gallon bucket with fairly clean shot in 10 minutes but you could not carry the bucket very far.

Pat Ireland

16. bas

bas Member

Thanks for the memories, we loved the old Pinehurst Club - so rich in history and the Saturday evening presentation of trophies during the state shoot was wonderful. (Catered by the Pinehurst GC staff) Did they ever build the golf course that was the reason for tearing down this great club/grounds? I mean, it isn't like there was a shortage and of course, they never did rebuild.

17. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I believe the course is known as #8.

FRedmon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
history of pinehurst gun club nc

pinehurst gun club

pinehurst gun club history
pinehurst gunclub
pinehurst shooting