1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pinching pennies in trapshooting? ideas?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by slide action, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

With cost soaring and trapshooting numbers down, I have been mulling over ways to save money in shooting cost. I haven't always been a miser, but have always been frugal for the most part. First off the new Gun I was going to buy(really a replacement for one I sold) will have to wait as well as the auto loader I had planned to get for next Duck season. I certainly don't NEED gun so I will spend that money on shooting expexses. I have decided to shoot less practice. I DO need it, but will cut back this year. The shoots I attend will be mainly small ones with some "on the way" shoots visiting relatives etc. I will limit my shooting at larger shoots to a couple of State shoots and the Grand and will cut the Grand targets back to 3 days worth.If the Grand wasn't more than just over a 2 hour drive on my relatives in Western. Ky, I probably wouldn't go to the Grand this year. I will become a "scrounger" again reverting back to my days when I was a young Buck SGT. in the Air Force and the bride and I were picking up and cleaning used wads to reload at the base trap & Skeet range. I probably won't go as far as the used wads again(too hard on my old knees now anyway), but will become a hull scrounger and shop VERY hard for every deal I can find on shells and components. I am purchishing a "deloader" to save hulls with bad crimps or damaged hulls. When we go to shoots, we will bring our own drinks and "brown bag it" for lunch as well as eating out much less. While the money I save won't put me in the "Fortune 500" bracket, it will probably save enough to attend a few extra local shoots in a time when every dollar counts.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Does not sound like your "poor folk" to me. However, if you can find some deals on shot, please advise....... I've most often taken my own food and drinks to shoots. Just because I prefer what I bring. 80% of the shells I shoot are reloads (30+ years) I've been shooting the same gun for over 20 years (Ljutic Mono). I buy in case lots on wads, primers, and powder. Am I cheap or rich? Well, I'm not poor, but I also like to think I'm not to dumb, just thrifty. Maybe it's time for local shooters to band together and buy in exceptionally large lots, especally concerning lead. Bring the power of the buck to bear on the vendors. I know some clubs to this. But many individual shooters don't. They just buy in the quanities they use over a short period of time, like me.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I like to shoot a lot but I am a devout cheapskate. I use my reloads for Handicap and I am not too proud to pitch my pup tent on the club grounds. When I do stay in a motel, I figure $50/nite is about my budget. I thought about getting a small fiberglass travel trailer to pull behind our 6 cyl Jeep but I don't see many advantages over a tent in that size of trailer so I gave up the idea. I don't shoot much practice anyway because I make registered shoots my choice over practice shooting.

4. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

shot41oga,--Not poor at all, and I do make a better than average wage. With a daughter in college my wife pursuing a second degree and rising expenses, we do try and cut corners on some things. While my wife likes to shoot, she reminds me that there are other things in life. It's just that most of those require MONEY(LOL). Your idea of pooling your orders locally to buy in quanity among a group of shooters sounds like a good one. Some suppliers have been known to drop deleviery cost if they are dropping in the same area and can get a large enough order.The DEALS I have found on shot have been small quanities, limited to guys who are hanging it up and a couple of going out of the buisness cases(nothing in bulk retail). We too shoot mostly reloads. Take care and shoot well.

5. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Guys, When I go to a shoot I still like to shoot plenty...the only change I have made is this - If I don't genuinely WANT to go shooting, for whatever reason, I don't... I no longer feel like "It's Sunday (or whatever day) so I MUST go shooting". The shoots I do attend are because I want to be there and consequently I enjoy them more. It works for me, but YMMV. Cheers-Graham.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have a suggestion. Make every shot count. Don't waste money by missing a lot of targets you paid for.

Pat Ireland

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

LOL...Pat, you owe me for the spilled coke on that one.

Shot410ga has it right...up in alaska we're banding together to order shot. Just got 5 tons in that is splitting among 8 of us. I'm still able to find components in quantities / prices that let me load at about $3.30 a box.

8. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Many good ideas here. Carpooling to shoots is a must at $4 plus a gallon. No need for three squadmates to drive in 3 cards to get to the same place unless someone needs to leave early for some reason. There are a lot of good deals still out there on powders, primers, etc. Believe me, the target does not know wheter it was broken by shot pushed by Clays or Rex II. Invest in a shot maker with a few people. It will pay for itself after about 20 bags of shot for you at todays prices if you get ahold of some free weights. Load the hulls nobody else wants to and let them fly. Kind of makes you feel like one of the big dogs letting those almost new hulls hit the dirt. Shoot registered practice, not just practice. Unless you are having issues with something, it cost not much less to shoot 100 practice a week than to shoot 100 registered depending on the clubs you frequent. Camp at large shoots instead of hoteling it. Most home grounds have nice primitive facilities for campers. During hot summer months, a window A/C unit and a small generator cools a tent down great if the tent has been modified properly to accomodate it. A small used travel trailer or pickup truck camper top is also perfect for two to three people if used for sleeping and cooling off only. Don't try to live in it. You won't be friends for long. A lot more of these are coming up for sale around me lately.

Jeff

9. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

You can actually shoot 7/8 oz. for Singles without loosing a thing, except excuses and a bit of mental anxiety. Speed kills, but too much speed costs you unnecessary money, too.

It's not how much money you have, it's how much money you keep that matters. To paraphrase: It's not how much shot you use, it's what you do with it that counts, just like Pat says, don't waste any of it on misses.

Kip

10. biff

biff Active Member

Slide, have you ever considered getting the lead at places where you shoot? A friend told me that he and another person got plenty of shot at a range where it went into the woods, I told him that didn't sound like a very easy task. He told me they used a leaf blower and recovered close to 600 pounds. They cleaned it in a little concrete mixer and then sorted it out. He did say alot of it was #6 which he used for practice. I don't know if that is an option for you, something to think about. Biff

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Click on above problem solved.....

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Obama's economic advisers say to shoot at every other clay, then double your score.

13. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I swear this is true, I shot with a man in Indiana 30 years ago that picked up used wads. He washed them in a pillow case and reloaded with them. Same guy would knock you over getting to a shell if you dropped one and tried to pick it up. Anyone from central Indiana thats been around a long time can attest to this. Thats not cost cutting, thats cheap.

14. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

I have started saving money by shooting only the first bird in doubles

Saves a box of shells

And it hasn't effected my scores

Dan

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Now Dan, that's a good one.......lol

Hauxfan!

16. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Knock over a liquor store once a month.

17. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Over thirty years ago, when my kids were young, I would pick up used wads and re-use them without even running them through the washer. I'd also go out to the shot drop area and sweep up a bag of shot at a time.

Also, a friend and I made a small target press and re-made targets from the chips that were a couple of feet deep and the club was glad to get rid of them. We melted the chips in an old tar bucket and scooped the hot material into an upside down die and lower the male die into it and made the target. The thing looked like an old Mec 600 jr., but we were making targets for free, and shot them when no one else was at the club. They were black, but you could still see them and shoot.

If there is a will, you can always find ways to enjoy your hobby.

Tomas

18. DJM

DJM Member

Always use a discount coupon to buy reload components. This spring I used 30% off coupons from Cabelas on a purchase of $100-200 and $10 off coupon on a $50 purchase from Sportsmans Warehouse. I reload 1 oz for about $4.20/box using all 2008 purchased components including $50/bag shot. The Cabelas coupons come in the mail for Cabela club members, all you do to join is get a Cabelas VISA card. Then charge all your gas on that card and use the Cabelas "Bucks" earned to further discount your price. Sportsmans Warehouse coupons were available at the trap club and at various sportsmens banquets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.