1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pimp My Skid Steer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chipmaker, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Well the undercarriage on my 287C was worn out and tracks were shot, not to mention the RH roller frame broke in two pieces!!! So what does one who owns a fully equipped CNC shop do???? Yep order up a big pile of 6061-T651 billet alum and machine up a whole set of idler and boggie wheels for it rather than put on the factory plastic/ rubber ones............so I spent my holiday switching it all out...really glad it decided to get in the 90's here in Illinois
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

He carries his shells and trophies with his skid steer. ;)

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

SWEET!

I think you have a new production idea.

How much could you sell that set for?
    Nick

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

That looks good, and I'm sure it was a lot cheaper than getting the parts from Caterpillar

I could build them too but I don't have all CNC, some are the old stuff

5. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Very cool. Could you make it so that they keep spinning when you stop the skid steer?

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Waz-up, no bling? Lol.

ss

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

It's an off topic thread so it can be about anything....

8. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Good job, that would have been more fun than puting shingles on all day like i did.Wanted to go to a shoot but i knew i would not enjoy my self knowing i should be home working.Joe

9. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

TS Joe,yes I spent a M-Day weekend roofing before and that sucks....as a matter of fact I swore that was my last roof and it has been!

Catpower, material wise yes cheaper than factory cat plastics. But add in labor cost and no but there of course is no comparison.

Remstar, I would estimate between $150-165.00 each (48pcs)

TinMan, you got that right I really hate to get it dirty! Take a look cause she will never look the same is what I told the wife....

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Chipmaker, looks great! It's a shame you have to get it dirty, but that is what a skid is for. 8 years ago when I was recouping from a heart attack, and I was ordered to take some time off, so I pimped my skid during the free time. I just went cosmetic though. I put a flame job on the cab and I put a tiger mouth (a la WWII Flying Tiger airplane nose art) with teeth on the bucket. Looked sharp as hell for a year or so, now it is all worn off. Next time I'll add another half dozen of coats of paint.

11. TC

TC TS Member

It's really amazing what a person with a little talent, knowledge, and ability can do. Having the right tools helps! Looks good. Tony

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Nicely done.

It's a good feeling when you have the equipment and can do better than factory.

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Geez... ya could-a put a coat or two of paint on the hubs.

14. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Nice work!!

15. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

MIA........sorry but that is a waste of time and money a few trips thru the dirt and the paints gone! Remember it is not ran on the street!!!

16. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Hey chip.....y'll keep us informed as to how fast that idea tears up your new track? There's probably a reason the factory uses polymers instead of aluminum.

17. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Will that aluminum wear faster and is it as hard as the polymer rollers. Curious as to the cost advantage and wear factor. You may have to patent that. Go get that sucker dirty, and let us know what happens when a rock gets wedged in there. Very nice though.

18. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Guess you need that to move the shot around??

I think we might need to re-name you

Tim Allen comes to mind - MORE POWER aaarrrhhh aaaarrrrhhh aaarrrhhh

Hell of a job by the way...

19. porky

porky TS Member

Chipmaker, Really nice work. It does look nice.

20. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Cat actually make a CTL compact track loader that utilizes steel wheels in the undercarriage and drive sprockets similar in design to the dozer line. A guy in Kansas makes wheels from aluminum castings for these loaders because he got tired of feeding them plastic/rubber wheels. So I don't believe there is a wear and tear issue on the material used. I have heard of operators getting a MTL series Cat like this down in the median of broken concrete spinning around and ruining a complete undercarriage in less than 200 hours...........that's $12,000.00 in parts only, man that would be a salty pill to swallow! Dirt, turf, & mud is the place for these, the big rock or jagged rock is the trouble areas a conventional rubber tired machine is best in those harsh conditions.

HSLDS Mr. OverKill is more like it...........I can be obsessive.....naaaa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.