1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pigeoncide In Pennsylvania (Article & Video)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://static.feedroom.com/affiliate/_common/js/fr_embed.js'></script>
    <div id='flashcontent'></div>
    <script type='text/javascript'>
    var so = new FlashObject ("http://hsus.pb.feedroom.com/hsus/hsus/embed_oneclip/player.swf", "Player", "492", "310", "8", "#FFFFFF");
    so.addVariable ("Environment", "");
    so.addVariable ("SkinName", "library");
    so.addVariable ("SiteID", "hsus");
    so.addVariable ("SiteName", "Humane Society");
    so.addVariable ("ChannelID", "");
    so.addVariable ("StoryID", "0bb8951dcd27d21815beb8d1afc41f2587516048");
    so.addVariable ("Volume", ".5");
    so.addVariable ("HostURL", document.location.href);
    so.addVariable ("VideoPlayer.videoPlayer1.StoryLinkURL", "http://hsus.pb.feedroom.com/rghsus/library/player.html?fr_story=0bb8951dcd27d21815beb8d1afc41f2587516048");
    so.addVariable ("VideoPlayer.videoPlayer1.SendEMailURL", "http://hsus.feedroom.com/custom/playerbuilder/feedroom/sendMail.jsp");
    so.addVariable ("OneClipEmbedCodeHeight", "310");
    so.addVariable ("OneClipEmbedCodeWidth", "492");
    so.addVariable ("MoreVideoURL", "http://www.hsus.org/");
    so.addVariable ("AutoPlay", "false");
    so.addVariable ("quality", "high");
    so.addVariable ("VideoPlayer.videoPlayer1.JavascriptFolderURL", "http://static.feedroom.com/affiliate/_common/js");
    so.addVariable ("Org", "hsus");
    so.addVariable ("OneClipEmbedCodeURL", "http://hsus.pb.feedroom.com/hsus/hsus/embed_oneclip/player.swf");
    so.addParam ("quality", "high");
    so.addParam ("allowFullScreen", "true");
    so.addParam ("allowScriptAccess", "always");
    so.addParam ("menu", "false");
    so.write ("flashcontent");
    </script>

Pigeoncide In Pennsylvania

- Gothamist -

Forget pigeon racing... we've got bigger pigeon worries now! According to the New York City Bar, there's a big pigeon-napping problem—allegedly they're getting trapped in nets, tossed in vans and either used in some voodoo ceremonies, served up as food in a restaurant near you, or most commonly, they're used as targets at shooting ranges. What's worse, pigeons that are shot at the ranges often land on neighboring roofs (see video below).

Earlier this month the NYC Bar sent a letter to lawmakers in Pennsylvania, where the pigeons are allegedly transported after capture. The letter stated that the high demands lead to "unlawful poaching in nearby New York City." Pennsylvania is now considering a ban on pigeon shooting, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Trapping pigeons in NYC can be legal though, as the WSJ points out, if the birds are a nuisance and if the trapper has a license, it's all good. The NYC Bar claims the pigeons being trapped, however, are for the most part deprived of food and water—something that violates animal cruelty laws. That, and, you know... that they are trapped for the sole purpose of being killed across state lines.

As for the Amateur Trap Shooting Association in Pennsylvania, where most of these birds are destined to die, a rep says, “It’s an American tradition and form of pest control." More on this form of pest control in this video courtesy of the Humane Society of the United States:

2. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

What a great game...........I'd sure like to try it

D.P.Reynolds

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

What a bunch of Crap! The HSUS does nothing but hustle money from little old ladies. This is the King of shotgun sports, and has a 200 year tradition. PA is far from the only state where pigeon shooting is legal, like anything else the USHS says, lies and mis-representations.
    Do not confuse these pinkos with the ASPCA, which does much good work, and is worthy of your support!

4. rw993

rw993 Active Member

I know PETA is working on how to pick up a TURD by the CLEAN END!! rw

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

They'd claim to be for the protection of sewer rats if it would make them money.

6. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

If shooting flying vermin is considered an outlaw sport, so be it. Shooting rats is a common rural practice and these birds carry as many diseases as the rats. Removing them from urban areas eliminates a lot of possible disese carrying birds and if shooters that will gamble on most anything bet on these shoots, have fun, with my blessings. Oh, and incidently, the Amateur Trapshooting Assoc. is in no way connected to the "Flyers" Assoc.. Looks like the Humane Society can't even get their information correct.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

A lot of the local dairy farmers here allow me to shoot pigeons because they are a big nuisance. I oblidge them

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Ahhh the fun of my childhood, I was brought up in NW Iowa and there where alot of creeks and over ever creek was a bridge, and under every bridge there were pidgeons, I guess they were my first powerized target launcher, that's how we got in practice for pheasent season

9. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

"These birds are destined to die" "They don't have a chance of getting away without being struck by a bullet." I say nay nay. No one at the Humane society has ever shot a practice ring of pigeons before. They are tough birds to put down. I wish some fly aways would land at my place . . . free targets. Sure beats the $5-$8 per bird I've paid before. If we could only figure out a way launch rats, mice, starlings, sparrows and ferral cats, to add to the target selection.

John

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"These birds are destined to die"

That's an incredibly true statement.

Either now...or later. One way or another, they're going to die.

But worry not, they'll make more.

11. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

So chickens are treated better I think not at least the pigeons have a chance to escape the do gooders will not stop until all we eat is fruit and plants. I know when I took my daughter about 10 fishing for the first time the first fish I caught was gaping for air on the ground and my daughter made me put it back in the water. The next one we caught we released also to keep her happy then the next one swallowed the hook and that was the end of my fishing that day she never went again. A cruel practice she is now 18 and only eats fruit and vegies and brings home all kinds of stray animals a wonderful girl with a big heart I love her dearly but she can not convert me I still fish and eat some meat but not much. I do not hunt anymore but it is my choice and age that ended hunting.

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

It looks like the rangemaster needs to set the traps better. Those targets suck!

Guy B.

13. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I personally take offense at this blatant attemp to glamorize a public nusiance. The left can only succeed if offensive bursts of out right lies, half truths and inuendo aren't challendged.

The problem with these people is that they actually think that animals have the capacity to think like humans. Granted they do feel pain, but there is NO sentient being in there animating the body like there is in Humans. That's why they have been food for along time now.

I love my cat very much, but he is basically a dumb ass. (even by cat standards) We say "it's a brand new day for Feeps",every morning. This is because when the sun comes up it's like hitting the erase button, and everyday is a brand new day to him! I think pigeons are way down the list from Feeps, maybe slightly above fish.

Animals below humans are essentially stimulus/response mechinisms, and whereas some are smarter than others, none are like humans in the thought department. If these people are allowed to continue their barage on reality it is only a matter of time until killing anything will be illegal.

So when you're driving down the highway and a large bug hits your windsheild, you're goin' ta Jail!!!! At any rate with respect to pidgeons, and in the immortal words of General Grant,,,

"there is plenty more where they came from".

Randy

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Back in the 40's, 50's and 60''s my home town used to close off all the streets in the downtown, one Thursday afternoon a month, and assign the better bird shooters to about 15 choice shooting positions for the express purpose of reducing the pigeon population. Tons of fun. More fun than box birds.

The mayor, the police chief and most of the city counsel were among the shooters so we didn't have any PETA type problems.

15. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

Texas Tech University used to have closed campus pigeon shooting back in the 50's to thin out their pigeon problems.

The city of Lubbock tried putting a poison on the downtown building's roofs. The poisoning unfortunately allowed a lot of the pigeons to fall to the sidewalks below and flop around before dying.

Trapping them and sending them out to a remote area for a shoot beats any method of control I know of. They just need to host the shoots in a more remote area so the wounded birds won't wind up at the nearby homes.

Wonder what this film crew would think of a good old fashioned hand thrown pigeon shoot?

16. jhjanko

jhjanko TS Member

Freshly caught barn pigeons as provided by the local Amish community would always provide more challenging targets. City birds, poorly fed and to varying degrees dehydrated by the time they were put into the traps made for slow, easy birds. But, you bought your birds where you could find them.

I wonder what the NYC people thought would happen to the pigeons caught by trappers? Perhaps they are under the dillusion that these birds are taken to Pigeon Land, where they would live out their days being happy, productive pigeons?

17. laura!

laura! Member

Loves2shoot said If we could only figure out a way launch rats, mice, starlings, sparrows and ferral cats, to add to the target selection." ROTFLMAO!!

18. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Some years ago Chicago found out their trapped pigeons were being sold for flyer shoots. They ended that, but found out their pigeon trappers would no long trap pigeons for them. So the city of Chicago had to use city employees to trap the pigeons. But then they had to do something with the trapped pigeons, so the drove them out into the country and left the go. The pigeons beat the city employees back to the city, but the pigeons did spread a swine disease around on the way back.

19. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

The fat, Amish birds are easy to hit, but hard to put down. On the other hand,a hungry, thirsty wild bird comes out of the trap like his butt is on fire!

20. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I grew up in NYC and I dont know a soul who has a good thing to say about pidgeons! I shot hundreds with my 5mm sheridan pellet gun,and no one ever complained! Even the Police turned their backs!u

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.