1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pigeon Tower Shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hitapair, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

So what is a pigeon tower shoot?

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

it's the same as a pheasant tower shoot....or partridge tower shoot...or duck tower shoot.....or whatever bird they throw out of the tower....to simulate (in a "cheap" way), a driven shoot (with regard to the angles you take the shots).

There is a tower in the middle of the field, with usually two shooters to a "station" encircling the tower. The shooters are on average 75 to 100 yards from the tower. After so many birds are released, you rotate to the next station, around the tower. Some tower shoots are a few hundred birds, others are a lot more, but most are only a few hundred birds (250 to 350 seems average). Some places will take you out to actually "hunt" the birds (upland birds mostly) that got away.

Some shoots jam in over 30 shooters for a few hundred birds. I think that's a bit crowded. I started looking for shoots that offer a ratio of a low number of shooter participants to high amount of birds released.

There is no betting etc, like in a box bird shoot. It's just a straight, "pay the entrance fee" and shoot type of deal. Some offer a lunch. Some shoots are set up as fundraisers. There is one shoot in VA that is being held this weekend, as a fundraiser in memory of a local soldier that was killed in Iraq.

Some "hunters" frown upon this kind of sport and will ostracize you for taking part in it. I liken them to the PETA freaks....sort of like some shooters I have encountered who shoot those fine double guns then turn around and dictate to other shooters that semi-auto military style rifles should be outlawed because they have no place in society LOL

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You get to kill birds that have spent their lives living in a cage and a box. Then they are tossed in the air to fly for the first time and blown out of the sky by sportsmen with shotguns. HMB

4. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

But remember, these are the roots of our sport and should not be condemned.

rm

5. plabels466

plabels466 Member

BS, I have been a hunter all my life, I am 73 years old.....I went to one of these tower shoots many years ago.....The birds that escaped were then 'hunted', if you want to call it that.....We had to kick them for them to fly.....I never went back.....Any person who attends these shoots are not hunters.....Think about it..... And yes sernv99, I also hate/despise PETA & the snobs you mentioned with the double guns, etc.....My live game birds were shot with a rem 1100 or 870.....Just my opinion......Pete

6. neckdeep

neckdeep Member

go to a good tower shoot with wild pigeons, you won't have to kick any to get them out of the box, most will probally return home safely

i have been known to shoot a few pigeon, when they come out a barn door,grain bin, barnabee, tower, or columbaire's hand they are a very challenging target

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Probably a service shooting winged rats. I've never been to a tower shoot shooting pheasants or pigeons Where the birds didn't fly Quite well and present a challenge to most of the shooters in attendance.

Politics aside it is a bit pricy and serves no real purpose; but it can be very fun sport and entertaining if properly executed.

8. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

Neckdeep;
    A brother in law and I used to tip toe onto a local bridge where they nested; then JUMP! The birds would boil out one side of the bridge or the other. Great fun! Sometimes we were on the right side, sometimes not.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

9. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

oh man not this again. Thanks Stan

10. neckdeep

neckdeep Member

sam

when i was 14 or 15 years old we would have a milk run of spots that we would hit on weekeends or days off from school, several included bridges, tried to bring enough gunners to cover all escape routes

11. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

That's it I am selling my double guns, taking a cut in pay, going out and buying a single shot. Boys and there toys need three shots. LOL

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I never saw a pigeon dropped from a tower not fly unless sick or dead. Those things have wings ya know!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to tower shoot pigeons and pheasants

pigeon tower shoot

what is a tower shoot with piegons