1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pigeon grade Browning Broadway 1973 like new

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OldRemFan, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I have lost track over the years of what a fair price would be for a supposedly new, Pigeon grade Browning Broadway trap, Full and IM, 1973 year model, long tang, flat pistol grip and square end forearm. A person is wanting to sell me one and I need honest estimates of what the gun would actually bring on the open market.

2. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

there are a few of these on gunbroker.com & gunsinternational.com.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Mechanical triggers?

4. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Barry

I don't know, the gun is 1400 miles away and the guy selling it didn't know how to read the choke markings so I doubt he has any knowledge of what the triggers may be. All I have is pictures. What were the options on a new gun?

Thanks

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The options are "salt" and "no salt". Hard to tell the difference at 1400 miles. Broadways and salt era Brownings are not of much interest to collectors. Treat it like a shooter after you determine it is not a salt gun.

6. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

eightbore

I have read, more than once, that the long tang models did not have the salt wood stocks.

Do you know for sure if that is a myth or fact?

7. rick979

rick979 Active Member

If the seller can't be taught how to read the choke markings on a Broadway how can you rely on his opinions as to the condition of the gun? Can he read you the serial number and measure the barrel length? It all sounds pretty sketchy to me.

8. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

rick979

Like I said before, I have pictures, lots of them. I rely more on what I see that what I am being told.

9. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

Go on gunsamerica or gunbroker.com websites. Search the gun. You will likely find several comps that should give you an idea what fair asking prices are.

I once wanted this exact gun and only a lack of funds stopped me. I think the pigeon grade is very nice and the wide rib on the broadway is neat. I would guess full and modified chokes are most likely.

Nice gun. As for the salt, ask for a three day inspection and look to see if it's there. From what I know about salt, you'll see it on the tang if it's there.

10. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Pride Engineer

I have checked the sites, it seems there are the very well used ones, and the 5 thousand dollars one the gun show dealers list that no one bids on, so that doesn't really help to determine the actual worth. I really don't believe those prices are actual worth because the listings seem to go on and on and I never see any bids on them.

I really doubt this is a salt stock. What I am finding from others on TS is that Browning quit using the salt stocks before the 73 long tang model came out.

You have the choking right on.

11. philk

philk Member

In the salt wood article at Arts web sight he talked about salt wood guns made into the 80`s, be careful.

12. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

My bet is it is not a salt gun and you will find the chokes are IM and Full. If it is a 73 model it will have mechanical triggers,,stroker

13. eightbore

One, 1973 is right in the middle of the salt gun era. Two, the "long tang no salt" tale refers to the round knob long tang guns, not the long tang square knob guns which were made long after the round knob long tang guns were deleted from the catalog. Three, pictures don't mean squat when it comes to Browning salt guns. Neither does looking at the tang like one poster suggested. I'm just trying to help the guy, not get into a pissing match with Browning "experts". Four, you can't find a comp on gunsamerica or gunsinternational because you have no idea whether the gun sold or not. It could be a very nice gun if you test it properly for salt and if you pay a reasonable price, lower than you think for a salt era Browning.

14. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

The barrels are marked with the * on the top barrel,30 ** on the bottom barrel with a 30 preceeding the marking on the bottom barrel, which I have been told indicates the length of the barrels. I did get a picture of that. The engraved shoulder on the mono-block are blue rather than the nickle color of the receiver and forearm latch. The serial number does have a S 73 in it.

Does the * and 30 ** markings, on a set of barrels with a Broadway trap rib, raise any red flags for anyone?

Thanks guys for the input.

15. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i had a retired doctor call me locally- wanted to sell off collection- he said that browning o/u unfired was worth alot of money. his living room in an old house , was dimmly lit!! boy , am i glad we went out in the sun for a look!!! yes a "salt" gun-- about a 1/4" deep, pits on the edges i was sick- he still kept on about the good condition and he said "like new"

16. eightbore

Is he a gynocologist? "Dark places", "pits on the edges", what were his other guns?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning belgium broadway 1973
browning broadway trap pigeon grade

browning broadway trap shotgun pigeon grade value

browning o u belgium pigeon grade