1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Piercing primers, bad primers or firing pin?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by truthseeker, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

I sent my trigger group to Lucio to have a new tree put in and noticed when I got it back that the "web" on the lower hammer had been filed off (I know this is probably NOT the problem I just thought I would disclose it).

Anyway, I have some shells (Kent #5 shot 1 1/4 ounce 1350fps) that are getting the primer pierced on just about every one, however, it only happens on the bottom firing pin i.e. none of them pierce on the top firing pin.

I have tried changing firing pins and springs and I still have the same problem.

Also, it does NOT happen with any other shells (I have 2 other cases of Kent shells (#5 an #6 1 3/8 ounce 1475fps)and they don't pierce) my remington reloads, winchesters, etc...

Any ideas what the problem is?

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

My KS-5 was doing the same thing when I received it back from a rebuild. It was happening to WW 209 primers. Had to file off the firing pin 1/16". Take off a very little amount every time and try it, until it does not do it anymore. Have not had a problem since. Jon

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

That's the reason I quit using Kent shells..You can flatten the front of the pin a little.. you can polish it.. but not to a point.. just rounding it off a little.. That can help sometimes... but I gave up on Kent shells for the very reason you state.. They shot great.. but pierced primers can wreck havok inside a firearm..

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

Suspect that Kent is using Cheddite hulls and primers. Cheddite are notorious for having pierced primer problems. sunburst yo switch ammo or primers.

Tom

5. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

What is weird is the center of the indention in the primer has a tiny pin hole, yet the firing pin (I have looked at it with a 10X loupe) has no imperfections and is nice and round.

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

I suspect that you will find that the pin hole you see is the result of the primer cap being mashed against the anvil (too small gap). RIO primers were notorious for this with a very soft cap and sometimes very little gap within between cap and anvil so that even a normal firing pin strike mashed the cap against the anvil.

If you are interested take a normal fired primer and one of the pinholed primers apart and check the anvils. I suspect you will find a raised piece of metal (manufacturing flash) on the end under the cap of the one that pinholed. The anvils are on a band during the manufacturing process and this is the attach point.

Just my 2 pennies

--- Chip King -----

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The pin hole might also be the result of a pierced primer burning a tiny pit into it.

MK

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I may have used 100,000 Cheddite primers and never pierced any, that I've seen. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever pierced a primer of any manufacturer. And I've used them all at one time or another.

9. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Yeah, I'm guessing I've used 30k Cheddites and 30k RIOs without piercing any. (In a K-80, a KX-5, an AL-391, a few more).

Okay, so what? (I hear you saying). I suspect *some* primers may indeed be easier to pierce, particularly if the firing pin is a hair long, maybe the nose is a shade too pointy, whatever. It's hard to account for the conflicting reports otherwise.

10. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Have tried WW, Remington, and Federal to see if the
    same problem excists with them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

firing pin piercing primer

piercing primers too long firing pin

sometimes piercing primer