1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pierced Rem Sport Primer (with pics)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark425, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Bought a 100 pack of Remington Sport shells (Green, 1 1/8 3 dr. #8) from Wal-Mart today and look what happened. Seven pierced primers and a dozen more that are suspect. After I noticed the problem switched to my reloads (same hull) and each primer looked normal. I have shot 1000's of these Remington Sports thru my GC Impact without a problem...until today. Have 3 more 100 packs of these...dont think I will be shooting them....will stick to my reloads.

mark425_2008_030343.jpg

mark425_2008_030344.jpg

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'd say your firing pin and spring are plenty strong. Sure your firing pin isn't coming out too far somehow?? I've shot plenty of those and never had issues other than they were 3 dram.

Matt

3. wtjohnso

wtjohnso Member

I used to shoot the Wal-mart Federal's, the #7.5 were flawless but quite a few of the #8 prevented my BT-99 from closing, the primer wasn't seated fully.

I've shot 300 of the #7.5 and #8 Remington Sport's the last few days, all flawless.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I have also shot a lot of the Gun Clubs & Sport version with NO problems, maybe they changed to a different primer in the Sport version???? I wonder why your reloads did not do the same thing???? Have you checked them to see if the primers may not be seated quite deep enough, as the hull would be pushed back upon firing & if the firing pin does not retract quickly enough that could cause pierced primers. I'm like you I would not shoot them until I found the reason. Did you try them in another gun???? Ross Puls

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

Mark425 Check your firing pins and the breech face. With that big a hole and that many times you may have ruined your firing pins. Also all the crap that is missing from the primer faces has to have gone somewhere so it may be wise to take the stock off and clean the trigger group and flush out the firing pin channels and make sure the rebound springs are still functioning.

Just my darn luck I just bought one of the Sport Load 100 packs at Wally world last week so I could have some 7 1/2s for cold weather. Maybe I'll give them to my ex son in law to use ;o)

--- Chip King ---

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Chip King is correct.

I ruin a firing pin on a K-80 with Cheddites that did the same thing.

Stop using them.

Don Verna

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

The above poster made a good point. Never had it happen on a shotgun, but I had a rifle with a chip in the firing pin. It would poke enough of a hole in some brands of primers to look like your shotgun shells. Some primers are thinner than others.

8. willing

willing Member

Last Wed a friend of mine had 7 of 25 Gun Clubs with pierced primers. I think they must have had a bad run. I have heard they use Cheddites in the GC, don't know if that's true. I reload with Cheddites and have no problem.

Bill

9. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

It is not your gun. I have a buddy that is having the same problem with his XT and the Remington Sport Loads. Yesterday he shot my MX-6 and another guys XT and with the same results, pierced primers.
    jimr_2008_0303108.jpg

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Sounds like the cap is to hard on the primer.. They crack when pressure hits them.. then they get flame cut..

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Mark, Jim, send in some samples plus the end of the box (or a photocopy of it) showing the lot number to Remington. This lot or these lots probably need a recall.

Also, post the lot number(s) here for the rest of us. Thanks.

12. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

My experience with these shell are they have a hard primer and usually what ever gun I'm using just barely makes a dent in them but have never had no failures.

13. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I have posted on here before that I have never seen a pierced primer until last weekend when a fellow shot a spanish 20 ga and half of the RGC 20ga hulls were pierced . Looked like his lower firing pin was cracked . I have been using Cheddites for as long as I can remember and never had a bad firing pin or pierced primer . Thats through 4 different guns . I have seen a member who only shoots AA and STS`s split his firing pin on a high end Browning O/U but none pierced the primer and you could see the indentation in every primer he fired . He gives me all the STS`s and after a little filing they still have a fractured look to the primers .

14. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Emailed Remington with pics and description. I did include my address in case they decide to send me a pallet of Nitros for my trouble. Wondering if I will hear back....not holding my breath.

Anyway..here are the numbers off my shells. Found on the inside flap of each box.

PKG. 61239A

R12HSL1007

G58218263

15. FLTarheel

FLTarheel TS Member

I pierced one last night with my Perazzi. It was the black shell with the same bronze colored metal around the primer. No damage but I won't buy any more Remingtons with that primer. The Gun Clubs,Nitro and STS shells have a primer with a gold colored metal around the primer. I have never pierced one of those.

16. gvsteveMD

gvsteveMD TS Member

I had the same problem with my BT99 using Remington Sport Loads.. They were also purchased at Walmart. May have been a bad batch of primers. Only purchased 2 box's of 4 so I'll go back to Federals.

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Get in touch with Remington -they will send you replacement ammo--they did it for me in the past.

Phil Berkowitz

18. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

How about Remington sending you a replacement firing pin.

19. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

i had the same problem once with kent ammo--they roo are using cheddite primers---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.