1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*** PIERCED PRIMERS ***

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jamie65, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamie65

jamie65 Member

What is the current wisdom on the causes of pierced primers and do they have any negative effects on firing pins ,breach face or firing pin holes etc.in terms of frequency and when it might start to negativly effect equiptment would you consider significant ( 1 in 100 ) ( 10 in 100 ) ( 25 in 100 ) ( 50 in 100 )?

2. paul7177

paul7177 Member

At the very least, they will erode your firing pin!

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Obniously not a good thing for the gun or the shooter.

The causes include chipped firing pin faces, faulty primer construction, excessive hammer spring power, absent firing pin retraction springs and a few other possibilities.

If you are getting a significant number of pierced primers, you need to get the problem solved ASAP.

4. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

The most common cause is manufacturer. It is pretty common with a certain brand, though many are in denial. I've been pretty surprised at how few people can even recognize one.

As previously stated, not a good thing.

5. jamie65

jamie65 Member

thanks for the comments

6. Snowjet

Snowjet Member

I guess your talking about cheddites. Just noticed a little erodsion on my bottom pin. Went back and checked the last 300 primers. 4 bad ones.
    Bob

7. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

It can erode your pin with just one pierced pin per some well known folks.

Scott

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

...plus it loads the firing pin bore with all manner of gritty trash that hardens like concrete around the pin and can be a real PITA to remove.

Keller

9. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

Who has the picture {A GEES NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN] all seriousness dump the cheddites. Good primer hot but cup just to dam hard. Been thru this hole deal pm me if you want more info ,but you don't need it

10. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

Less then 10000 rounds on set of firing pins. When prices on shells and components rose, I started using less expensive or inexpensive primers and shells, noticed some pierced primers along the way but really paid little attention to them. I started having misfire(s) on new Federal shells. Federals have a rounded primer instead of flat like most others.

A thread was posted on TS.com a few months ago that caused me to look at my firing pins as the cause of the miss fires. Sure enough both pins had signs of erosion with the bottom being 10x worse. Long story short; The small amount that I saved buying cheaper primers to reload with and less expensive shells will not off set the $275.00 for a service and firing pin change with that few rounds through the barrels. Just my humble opinion, take it for what it is worth.

Regards, Joe

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jamie - I would consider 1 per 100 very significant. Evidently you are getting more than that. What primers or ammunition are you using?

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Only way to solve the problem is to stop using your current primers and switch to a different brand. If you don't do it real quick!!! You'll be buying a new firing pin as well. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

13. Snowjet

Snowjet Member

The problem is, I still have 6500 cheddites.
    Bob

14. jamie65

jamie65 Member

thanks again ya'all , very helpful insite. yes cheddites are the primers in question. watch for a new thread -- 4500 cheddites for sale !

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I will take those dirty rotten filthy Cheddites off your hands so I can feed them to my 1100's. Since they come from the wrong side of the tracks, they don't appreciate good ones anyway.

HM

16. KCDODSON

KCDODSON TS Member

I have reloaded about 5000 rounds with Cheddite primers and I don't see any pierced primers. Or am I not noticing the problem. Is it obvious when the primers are pierced?

17. jamie65

jamie65 Member

what i have noticed is a small black smudge about the same size as the primer strike,when i clean off the soot i can see a very small pin hole ,i havent been able to determine if the hole goes through the primer and into the hull

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"...,i havent been able to determine if the hole goes through the primer and into the hull...</i></blockquote>If there is a hole in the primer cup and black soot in the hole you can bet that whatever made the soot came from inside the hull, or at least from inside the primer. Once the cup gets punched and the priming compound burns off there a direct path from the powder charge to the firing pin.

If you're really intent on using those primers, remove the damaged firing pin, chuck it in a drill or drill press and stone and polish the nose of the pin until it's back to original shape and the pin has been shorted .005"-.006". I eliminated punching in 2 of my XTs by doing this and other primers still worked fine.

Keller

19. jamie65

jamie65 Member

Keller, thank you for the info.

20. Baber

Baber TS Member

Why modify you gun when all you have to do is stop using French Crappy primers?

I have changed a few broken firing pins in Perazzis and every time they were shooting Cheddite primers. why fool with the junk.

Tom