1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pictures RCBS transfer bar modification

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rick Barker, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

After the 12th time of having to replace the primer transfer bar on my RCBS The Grand, I made a modification to one of the pieces that broke and have not had to replace it again.

The ends would always break so that I had a 1/2 circle of plastic.

Taking a large paper clip, I cut off the small end and kept the larger piece.

If you look at the transfer bar, you will see a series of slots along the side.

From the broken end, file along the side of the bar, through the posts so that you have a small groove or channel along the length of the transfer bar, on both sides, about 1 inch.

You should have one long slot, where there were once two.

On the inside end of this channel you just cut, drill a hole through the bar.

Take a small pair of pliers and make a small bend in one end of the paper clip "legs."

Now take the paper clip and slide it down the channel with the rounded end replacing the plastic end that broke off.

You will have to trim the paper clip a little and cut and rebend the one end to get it sized right.

Once you do that, push the bent end of the paper clip through the hole you drilled in the slot of the transfer bar.

If you do this right, the bar will function in the slide of the plate holder without any problem.

If you fashion the paper clip correctly, you will find the clip will clamp itself along the sides of the transfer bar without rubbing along the sides of the plate holder where the transfer bar moves, without the paper clip coming in contact with the metal channel.

The primer will drop down and sit in the between the broken end of the transfer bar and the rounded end of the paper clip and move into the primer seating recess without tipping over.

After the primer drops down, the transfer bar with its new metal end will clear the primer as the bar moves back to get a new primer and the first primer is seated into the base of the shell that has just moved into position.

I made this modification on one try and it has worked with thousand of shell loadings and is still going strong to this date.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I love it when someone looks at a problem, uses their imagination and solves the problem with common tools and readily available materials. Me, I mostly use common tools, readily available materials, and thoroughly wreck it.

4. Alliant Reloading

Alliant Reloading TS Member

Sounds like a good solution Rick.

I have a broken piece or two, so I think I will give it a go.

Thanks for the good idea.

Paul

5. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had this problem until I got the primer set tube properly adjusted. Bill

6. samer0214

samer0214 TS Member

Rick: Please post pics as soon as you can, as I have 2 Grands!

Bill: Can you please elaborate on what you said?

Thanks - Samer

7. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Ditto Bill Horn

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

This problem seems to be the only complaint I have ever heard about this machine.

9. Rick Barker

rickbarker_2009_250563.jpg

Okay here is an exmaple of unbroken, broken and modified repair

rickbarker_2009_250564.jpg

Another view previous picture

rickbarker_2009_250565.jpg

Here is side view of repair/modification. Side channel cut and large end of paper clip installed with one end bent and inserted through the hold drilled through the side of the transfer bar

rickbarker_2009_250566.jpg

Top view of modification.

Sorry about the fuzzy pics, forgot to turn on macro until last shot.

10. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

A cure for RCBS Grand primer transfer bar problem

Samer; I was told by Kent Sakamoto at RCBS that I had the Primer tube set too deep and that it was chopping off the end of the primer transfer bar, causing a timing issue. Apparently the problem started when I tried to load once fired STS cases with primers other than rem STS primers as they would not seat completely and I lowered the seating tube for deeper set which changed the transfer bar timing. Readjusted seating tube to a measurement of 3/4" of stem above the tool plate head. No problem since. Anyone having issues with the grand need to contact Kent at RCBS as he understands this machine better than anyone. He is the GURU.Bill

11. Rick Barker

Bill Hom..........I have made the same adjustment and the thing would work fine for a while then the next thing know the tip is broken.

I was told it was a timing problem, but when watching it, the bar should be all the way in its backward position when the seating die is down.

I only load one type of shell on my press, so I never fiddled with the seating die after I made the recommended adjustment, but anyway, I don't think I have to worry about it any more.

Still one very fine press and produces a beautiful shell, with almost 0 mess.

I think its overall design is very good.

12. joegriff

joegriff Member

My transfer bar has been cracked for approximently 20,000 rounds, But don't see any reason to change it till it stops working. I have a spare on standby.

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

Any engineer worth anything would cringe at a part designed like that. You may as well send a few spares with every machine. It WILL break.

A part should be designed to that it will not break in normal use or designed to "bend" or flex without breaking and still be able to do the job.

Rick has come up with a good solution.

Don Verna

14. chipking

chipking TS Member

When the RCBS grands first hit our local stores I went and looked them over and what I saw was enough to turn me off on the Grand forever. $600 dollar progressive loader with cheap plastic parts. Within 3 weeks every store display Grand had 1 or more of the primer feeds or case holder clips broken or the case sensor slide wedged halfway over. I'm glad you found a way to keep yours going BUT you should not have to with what you paid for the unit.

--- Chip King ---

15. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

Thank you for the post! I have half a dozen or so broken primer transfer bars laying around, so I'll be trying the paper clip mod when I get the time. I've also spent a fair amount of time adjusting the drop tube and it will be fine for 10,000 rounds or so than then "click!" it breaks. The one I'm using now has been cracked for about 5,000 rounds with a standby replacement waiting for it to go. I've simply been requesting a new transfer bar each time I replace the shell holders in the bottom plate.

This seems to be the agreed-upon weak link in the machine, but RCBS customer service has always been wonderful and sent me any parts I need for free....even knowing that I am the 2nd owner of my machine and bought it used.

By the way....the roller handle from a Dillon 550 can also be adapted to the Grand. No sore hands here!!

Len in PHoenix

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
primer transfer bar small
rcbs grand pics

rcbs grand primer transfer

rcbs grand problems

rcbs grand wad seating to deep
rcbs primer actuator bar
rcbs primer transfer bar