1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pictures of yourself at a shoot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DelarockX, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

How many of you would be interested in purchasing a picture of yourself from a shoot?

My girlfriend is looking for some work and she's a pretty good photographer. It's something she really loves and I see it as an opportunity to get her involved in something I spend time doing. She keeps asking me to take her shooting... Like I need that.. :)

What I was thinking is that for a small fee, she can take a few pictures of you from different angles, give you digital copies, and print you copies. Maybe even frame them, she does stuff like that too.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this... I wanted everyone's advice here to see if it was feasible before I mentioned it to her and got her hopes up.

Thanks for your input!

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Might be a worthwhile venture. She could charge more for photographs when the shooter broke a good score. Most of us would not want a picture of us on a day we shot poorly.

Pictures of the squad, after shooting are nice. Pictures form the side of us shooting tend to exaggerate a mass that hangs over our belts. A little work with photoshop could put a black cloud of smoke in the air as we are shooting.

Pat Ireland

3. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

[​IMG]

Remington Moment...BEWARE THE MAN THAT SHOOTS ONE GUN

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Shooter's with a $15K gun, $40K + vehicle, shoot premium shells and cry about a $1.00 per hundred increase in target cost....oh yeah, they'll definitely spend money on a picture! Hahaha!!

Curt

5. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Here's an idea for you...

How many times do you hear..."you lifted your head...too high...behind it...etc"?

Get her a tri-pod and a video camera. Record the shooters round...hand
    him the tape/cd/chip and collect $25.00.

Shooter gets to SEE exactly what he's doing.

Smok'n Joe

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Yes, I like Joe's idea. Also, the pics of the squad afterward would be really nice...especially if you could go find her and the pics in the late afternoon somewhere at a booth or something. She could sell pics of big dogs in big shoot offs to many people, especially if she could get them to autograph some pics (if she would donate a dollar per autographed pic to the HOF or to AIM or something, I bet that most of the Dogs would be happy to spend time signing some pics).

7. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

Guys, thank you so much for your input on this. Please keep the ideas coming!

I really like the idea of video taping a round!!

I'll talk to her and see what she thinks!

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

There is a couple who frequent the WVA State shoot every year that take, process and sell candid pictures of shooters.

Aline and I have several and they are really cool. I've often wonderedd why this isn't more common.

Guy Babin

9. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I video tape myself shooting a round about twice a month and it has helped me quite a bit. It's definitely a great tool for feedback.

10. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Always interesting to be photographed with prominent trapshooting personalities.

Here is a treasured moment when I was squadded with our State Delegate and the Chairman of the Central Handicap Committee.

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Smokin'Joe, they didn't ask for pictures of yourself on an acid trip.

12. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

"Poncho" is our Delegate. I'm to his left. Big Heap

13. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Is that Bus Durant on the right.
    Carey

14. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

That ATA Past President cap is a dead giveaway.

15. capvan

capvan Active Member

I would definitely pay $25 for a video of me shooting a round. In this digital age, I would think the cost, other than the time, would be minimal for the photographer.

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Get her a tri-pod and a video camera. Record the shooters round...hand him the tape/cd/chip and collect $25.00."</I></blockquote>

Not to be a wet blanket but I can see several things against this idea right offhand:<UL><LI>One person could never keep up with the number of requests this kind of service might generate
    <LI>If the shooter refuses the tape, the videographer has wasted whatever time it took for the unproductive round to be shot
    <LI>What format will the videographer use? Magnetic tapes are obsolete as are direct-to-dvd video cameras and the shooter in question may not have some/any capability to play back from digital media.
    <LI>If the videographer sets up the sale before hand, they would still need to determine what format the client prefers and to be able to produce a product in a variety of formats will require a sizable investment in equipment that will take a long time to recoup at $25/client.</ul>

MK

17. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Tron,

I only wish I could shoot that well!!!

It's a SOLARIZED rendition of a digital photograph that was taken a couple weeks ago at a state shoot. I presented it to my friend yesterday in honor of his performance...SEVEN TROPHIES & a pocket full of KASH!

He's a Senior and still going strong...see ya at the GRAND!!!

Smok'n Joe

18. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

"One person could never keep up with the number of requests this kind of service might generate..."

UnknownOne...in case you haven't noticed, in today's economy there aren't many long lines forming for ANYTHING. Videography is pretty simple and I'll bet she could hire a slew of unemployed COLLEGE GRADUATES to use their graduation gift cameras.

Let's get POSITIVE! Just imagine your wife saying:

"Hurry, I've got to get to the range...I'M BOOKED SOLID FOR THE WHOLE DAY"

Smok'n Joe

19. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

If you want to see a video of yourself shooting take a Phil Kiner course. It'll show you more than you want to know.

As for buying candid photos, that sounds like a great idea.

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Vern & Brenda, great photo of a great couple

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.