1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Picture Request - Krieghoff with Moderator

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SevenMaryThree, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

A short while back, a gentleman posted a picture of a Russian competitor's shotgun at a shoot in Chicagoland. It was a Krieghoff with a moderator / suppressor installed with a shield and rib that extended back to the chamber end of the barrels.

Does anybody have that picture handy?

Thanks.

2. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i did a search -russian see above

3. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

Send me your email and I'll send it to you it won't let me upload it

4. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Isn't that the reason they port guns to intimidate the shooters around you? Looks like a silencer to me but if it does not extend past the barrel that is probably the reason he can get away with it. But if the ports are that large back from the muzzle it must really slow down his shot.

He must travel with them seperate.

Or it is them fat and dumb TSA workers from the other thread, That has to be it!

CM

claymuncher_2011_31106.jpg

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think he was a Frenchman, and he said those supressors are fairly common in Europe. It was a long way from a silencer, but notably quieter.

6. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

That's the one. Thank you gentlemen.

7. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

SevenMaryThree : Just curious, are you going to make or get one?

CM

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    BATF defines a silencer/suppressor as ANY device that reduces the muzzle report of a firearm by ANY measurable amount.

Does not matter if it is integral or detachable, whether it is truly silent or just makes it less loud.

The person who brought that shotgun here risked losing it, ten years in prison, and /or a $10,000 fine if it was not properly registered with BATF. And that doesn't include customs violations on top of that.

9. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

He should be imprisoned for the sole reason it might be the ugliest gun ever posted on TS.com. All he needed was a unpainted balsa wood rib attached to it as well.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I think we can declare THIS to be the ugliest gun ever posted on ts.com.

View attachment 202159

It looks like someone gave a six year old a Python and a bench grinder.

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The gun reminds me of the Ljutic "banana gun." I saw it in the 70's. It was
    actually uglier than the "space gun."

I'm trying to figure out where that photo was taken. It must have been
    at Northbrook during the recent World FITASC, because I can't think of another
    shoot in the Chicago area that would have had a Russian (or French) shooter. Also, it must have been a sporting clays shoot because you can see the shooters' number pinned to the the back of their vest.

12. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

@ Claymuncher. I dunno yet. Here's the genesis for the wild hair that sprouted upon previously seeing that picture.

I have an acquaintance here locally, properly licensed, who has manufactured two shotgun moderators. These have been installed on 870s. A buddy of mine used it to kill a coyote several months ago. Much oooh-ing and aahhhh-ing ensued.

The problem I have with it is the big stupid two foot long oil filter on the end of the pipe. It makes translating shooting form very challenging unless of course you are a Jedi and shoot strictly under guidance from The Force.

So then I see the aforementioned picture...well, that certainly seems to be a cleaner solution that addresses my concerns. Hmmmm....

I have a baby framed 28 ga. Beretta 687. I thought about adding a set of .410 barrels previously, but in the end decided that my experiment with the .410 was over. But if I could make the .410 barrels a dedicated moderator host and feed it hand rolled sticks of 980 FPS through tight chokes, well that just might be crazy enough to potato.

All it's going to take is a ball high pile of hundred dollar bills and about 8-9 months of life. I'm probably not going to give the project a green light this week. Next week is not looking so good either, but maybe one day.

that-might-just-be-crazy-enough-to-_zpsb9667eec.jpg

13. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

If you have a dedicated gun to work with that you do not mind destroying the barrel, it would not take much to make a silencer for it. You would go to jail but it would work. What would be the sense of just the moderation of sound, unless it is 95 percent silenced it is a MUTE point, forgive the pun.

All you do is baffle enough ports behind the muzzle, but then the shot is also greatly slowed so it is a no win.

CM

14. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

looks like a piece of conduit stuck over the barrel.

tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.