1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pics/Opinion of Hastings High Rib Barrel for 1100

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RichinPeoria, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichinPeoria

RichinPeoria TS Member

Good Morning everyone

Im considering buying an 1100 and putting a Hastings high rib trap barrel on it. I have not been able to find any pictures of this barrel. If someone could post a few this would be greatly appreciated. If you could share your opinion about this combo that would be helpful as well.

If I buy a new 1100 is it really that much better than the standard Classic Trap barrel and worth replacing?

Maybe starting with a field gun and building it up with mc stocks and a Hastings barrel would be a better way to go.

Thanks in advance

Rich

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Rich,

I have handled and shot a couple of 1100's with said barrel and they perform nicely! It's about one half and a dozen of another as whether to start with a complete gun or just a reciever. Either way, you'll end up with more in the gun than what it's worth. Lol. I'm going to build one myself this winter.

ec90t

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rich, I have one on my 1100TT. I originally bought it to avoid accidental damage and wear to the original step-rib full choke barrel that is so highly regarded but I like it much better. The rib is almost exactly twice as high, which doesn't mean it is ultra-high - two times a little still isn't a lot - but it is noticeably higher. It also is wider and much, much more nicely finished than the OE barrel. And the Hastings chokes are long and throw great patterns. I feel it is an improvement to the gun and am trying to encourage Hastings to make one for the 870.

If you start with a Classic Trap, you will have to relieve the forend wood a little to clear the Hasting barrel, which is not of the light contour variety, but I understand that is not a challenging project.

I can email you some comparison photos of the OE and Hastings barrels if you'd like. I took them several years ago when I wrote an article about easy modifications to the 1100 trap gun family. Drop the "x" from the email address above.

Ed

4. gary0920

gary0920 Member

<a href="http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/gary0920/?action=view&current=DSC01338.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/gary0920/?action=view&current=DSC01344.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/gary0920/?action=view&current=DSC01345.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

5. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Great barrels and well worth the money,,,

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

MIA...just right click on those pics then when the box pops up, click Save AS.

7. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

The Hastings barrel is very good, looks great on an 1100, and I shot some great scores with it on my 1100 Trap. However, I much preferred to shoot my 1100 Trap with its factory fixed-full barrel mostly because there's no build-up of plastic wad residue at the end of the barrel as there was with the Hastings chokes. Cleaning those chokes was a major pain-ITA! By the way, unless it has changed recently, there are no after-market chokes to fit Hastings barrels; you have to buy chokes only from Hastings. They're not bad chokes, but it would be nice to have some other companies offer chokes for these barrels. Good luck.

LA

8. Wingshotgod

Wingshotgod Member

RichinPeroia

You have a PM

9. redbearmx15

redbearmx15 TS Member

Check out the truLoc chokes They might have what your looking for.

Roger/Ohio SJVCC St Joe Valley Conservation Club

10. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

It works very well "But" the end of the muzzle without the tube screwed in is paper thin(would be very easy to dent). And for me I need a higher/adjustable comb stock, but even with the modified tube it smokes targets from the 16. The IM smacks em from the 27.

11. AveragEd

Jack, the photos above are not mine. I'll send them to you.

Ed

12. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

So are you saying for me to STAY with my little 34" barrel on my 1100? I have had more fun with the 1100 since I put the 34" barrel on it. What a hoot! IMHO Omaha

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

omaha,

I know, it's the easiest one to find in a rack!

ec90t

14. RichinPeoria

RichinPeoria TS Member

Thanks for all of the pictures and info so far.

Are there any other parts that have to be replaced (extractor? etc.) when using a Hastings Trap Barrel with a new Trap Classic?

Rich

15. AveragEd

I put mine on an older 1100TT and the extractor slot seems a hair on the tight side. I understand that 11-87 and newer 1100 extractors are slightly thicker than mine, so you may have to open the slot a little. I'm told that doing so is not difficult with a small file.

Those pics you requested are on their way to you, Rich.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.