1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pics of my Rem R15 with EOTech 552

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    This is my new Remington R-15 coyote rifle. If you missed my previous thread, it is made by Bushmaster to Remington specs. The barrel is 18", and is lighter and shorter than the Bushmaster version. The Remington also has a .223 only chamber, while the Bushmaster has a .223./5.56 chamber. This doesn't bother me because I'm only putting hunting ammo through this rifle. I'll burn up surplus ammo in my other AR15's. The sight is an EOTech 552 holosight. I'd prefer a low power variable power scope that's bright enough to use under a full moon, but I haven't found one I like yet. (We can legally hunt coyotes at night in Oregon on property we own or are agents of the landowner, but we can't spotlight coyotes.) The magazine is the 5 rounder that comes with it. Unfortunately, we have to use a 5-round mag for all centerfire hunting in Oregon now, including varmints. I'll probably wind up putting plugs in some 20 rounders.<br>
    <br>
    The photos show the R-15, which is finished in Advantage Max-1, against my hunting jacket which is in Mossyoak Obsession pattern. Despite the different foliage patterns, one being primarly sage and the other hardwoods with oak leaves, they do match pretty well. The Advantage Max-1 is definitely light when laid against Mossyoak New Breakup, which is a very dark camo. It's better against my original Mossyoak breakup, but that's still a dark pattern.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]
    Advantage Max-1<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]
    Mossyoak Obsession<br>
    <br>
    I've bore sighted the EOTech, but haven't put it on paper yet. Been too busy and out of town. I'm hoping to get to that this week. I can't wait to take it coyote hunting. It's exactly what I want in a dedicated coyote rifle.<br>
    <br>
    As I said, the EOTech is a 552. It's now listed as the 552.A65/1 model.It has a 1 MOA dot inside a 65 MOA circle. I would prefer not having the 65 MOA dot on a hunting EOTech, and now EOTech makes such a model, the 552.D1 model. The 65 MOA ring makes the display too "busy", though it is useful at close range, especially with a shotgun. I prefer the 552 because it uses common AA batteries. Most other models use N cells. EOTech now has a sporting line that includes a couple of camo models. These use N cells, but are more compact.<br>
    <br>
    Here is an approximation of the image:<br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    EOTech models http://www.eotech-inc.com/products.php?id=4

2. 5spd

5spd TS Member

So when will you show us some 100 yd. targets so we can see how it actually shoots??
    Have you had any time to get it on paper....thats what I have to see....:)
    I have 2 pals that have different AR varmint versions although not the Rem./Bushmaster ones as they dont tend to be MOA guns.
    Are you reloading for it?

3. Brian in Oregon

No, the gun is made by Bushmaster to Rem specs. It's a .680" 1:9" Bushmaster barrel that's fluted from the gas black (sight tower) to the muzzle. This makes it lighter than the heavier barreled Bushmaster version.<br>
    <br>
    The Remington R15 carbine has a medium weight 18" barrel.<br>
    <br>
    The Bushmaster Predator has a heavy 20" barrel.<br>
    <br>
    The Remington R15 rifle has a medium 22" barrel.<br>
    <br>
    The Bushmaster Varmint gun has a heavy 24" barrel.<br>
    <br>
    So right there, it appears Remington is marketing an alternative to the Bushmaster for barrel length and weight.<br>
    <br>

4. Brian in Oregon

Remington now has a page for R-15 accessories, including two different scope risers, 4" Picatinny rail for the forend, and 5-round mags, all camo dipped.

5. Brian in Oregon

Remington has ANOTHER R15 rifle out. It's a limited edition Byron South model. Byron South is the coyote hunter who has done the "Coming to the Call" DVD series, some of the best on the subject.<br>
    <br>
    Other than the Yankee Hill forend, a two-stage comp trigger, and soft green grip, I don't see what justifies the added substantial expense (around $700 more than the similar R15 carbine). It appears the barrel is identical to the carbine barrel. But it's nice to see Remington jumping into this with both feet.

6. Brian in Oregon

This might explain why Remington went to a mid-length gas port on their R15 carbines.....<br>
    <br>
    http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=360<br>
    <br>
    Armalite Mid-Length Carbine and A.R.M.S. Mid-Length S.I.R. System.<br>
    Posted on Monday, August 25 @ 05:16:34 PDT by davidc<br>
    <br>
    Rifles and Carbines by David Crane<br>
    david@defensereview.com<br>
    <br>
    Included in Gary Paul Johnston's October 2003 "Soldier of Fortune" article is some great info on both the Armalite Mid-Length Carbine and A.R.M.S. Mid-Length S.I.R. System.<br>
    <br>
    The Armalite Mid-Length Carbine was designed specifically to overcome the long-known gas system-related problems associated with the standard M4/M4A1, problems that have been plaguing end-users for years. These include greatly accelerated gas port erosion, , excess heat, higher operating gas pressures, melted and blown-out gas rings, and an open/iron sight radius that's too short. None of these are good things on a field combat weapon.<br>
    <br>
    So, how does the the Mid-Length Carbine mitigate these problems? The Mid-Length Carbine moves...<br>
    <br>
    the front sight base/gas block 2 inches forward from its position on the M4/M4A1 Carbine. This puts the Armalite Mid-Length Carbine's gas port mid-length between that of the M4/M4A1 carbine and full-length AR-15/M16 rifle, thus the Mid-Length Carbine's name.<br>
    <br>
    The 20-inch barrelled AR-15/M16's gas port is located 12.5" forward of the chamber and 7.5" back from the muzzle. The M4/M4A1 Carbine's gas port sits 7.5" in front of the chamber and 8.5" back from the muzzle. The Armalite Mid-Length Carbine places its gas port 9.5" in front of the chamber and 6.5" behind the muzzle.<br>
    <br>
    All this serves to put the Armalite Mid-Length Carbine's gas port closer to the full-length AR-15/M16's optimum operating pressure curve allowed by its 20" barrel. This results in less gas port erosion, reduced heat, slower bolt velocity, improved extraction, and a longer sight radius.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

250 yards and closer how much more acurate is a 20" over a 16". This seems to be a big subject with the handful of AR shooters at our club. Theres one shooter who has just about every model I have ever seen, with every gizzmo. He is partial to pre ban weapons. he also has some sort of short barrel permit??? He has a few ARs that almost look like pistols. His advice was to buy new or piece one together. his choice for new Bushmaster,stag, or STI ? I never hear of STI ARs. entry level for plinking 150yards or less. After its custom and $$$$

8. Brian in Oregon

Well, a good, heavy 16" barrel can be just as accurate as a 20". Sometimes more accurate, because a 16" barrel potentially has less barrel harmonics and the bullet exits sooner. With optics, sight radius is not an issue.<br>
    <br>
    For the Rem R15, the difference is between an 18" and a 22" barrel, not a 16" and a 20". And some varmint AR-15's are using 24" barrels. I can't see any real use for them, other than a slight increase in velocity, and the report is lessened somewhat over a 20". The 16" barrels are indeed loud, and supposedly another reason Remington went with an 18" was to cut the blast a little bit.<br>
    <br>
    As for a short barrel permit, yes, rifles with less than a 16" barrel are designated as Short Barreled Rifles under the 1934 National Firearms Act, which also covers machineguns, etc. You basically go through the same process as you would for machinegun ownership, but you're just applying for a Short Barreled Rifle instead. And, you can legally own Short Barreled Shotguns too. Mossberg and Remington will sell, through NFA dealers, shotguns with 14" barrels, for example, providing your state allows them, you can get paperwork signed by the local chief of police or sheriff, and you pass an FBI background check and pay for a tax stamp.<br>
    <br>
    If you want an AR just for plinking and burning up ammo, DPMS has some smoking deals on new AR's that are competitive with used AR's. http://www.dpmsguns.com/<br>
    <br>
    If you want high quality, Rock River http://www.rockriverarms.com/ followed by Bushmaster for the target models. Rock River also sells AR kits.<br>
    <br>
    If you want a Vietnam era rifle, Fulton Armory is making some of the old stuff.<br>
    <br>
    If you stick to the top dogs, you'll be assured of getting a forged receiver. Some companies have cast receivers. If you are looking at any other companies, be sure and ask them if their receivers are cast or forged.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Im looking for a quality made Entry level AR 15. for plinking and maybe some for fun compitions. If they could be found in my area.

10. Brian in Oregon

Well, got home too late to get to the range. So went to my mother in law's ranch. Didn't have a solid bench, just my shooting chair, which does not have elbow support. (I need to get a portable shooting table with elbow support.)<br>
    <br>
    Anyway, shot the R15 with the EOTech. Had a helluva time with windage. I kept shooting an inch to the left at 100 yards, and it would jump two inches to the right when I made one click (which should be a half inch). Finally tried dialing out a full turn, then coming back to the next detent over. That worked better. Some optics are like that, and apparently my EOTech is one of them. Elevation adjustment was positive.<br>
    <br>
    I set the EOTech up for a six o'clock hold at 100 yards. The impact point is a couple of inches above the dot.<br>
    <br>
    Best three shot group was under an inch, which wasn't easy because my shooting chair is not rock solid. (It was cutting edge when it was designed some 20 years ago.) I'd really like to see what this gun will do when solidly anchored.<br>
    <br>
    I tried two different type of .223 ammo. Rem UMC 55gr MC (Metal Case) L223R3. Better known as plain ol' full metal jacket. This cut a hair over an inch group. I wanted to try some Ballistic Tips, but my dealer was out of them. So I bought some Hornaday 55gr TAP defense ammo. Happily, it and the Rem UMC shot to the same point of aim. I mean exactly to the same point of aim. Even at 300 yards (and we used a 100 yard spool tape measure to confirm the distance.)<br>
    <br>
    Groups at 300 yards were softball diameter. To do better is going to require a solid rest and optics a lot finer than the EOTech. Still, that's a minute of coyote. At this range I'm putting the EOTech dot right on the target. Because the EOTech has no magnification, it is critical to get the dot alignment right. Even so, I was busting fist size rocks and small pieces of wood at that distance fairly easily and consistently. I'm really curious now about the 3x magnifier designed for the EOTech. It swings to the side when not needed.<br>
    <br>
    The EOTech is not a small varmint optic. But I think it will work well for coyote size critters out to 300 yards.<br>
    <br>
    Because of the 1:9 twist, I wanted to try some 60 grainers, but mislaid them, and because I already had some, I didn't buy any more. Doh. Just as well, the cattle moved into the field and we would not have been able to test it anyway.<br>
    <br>
    I didn't try any 40 or 45 grainers. I never liked those weights for coyotes. I've used them for varmints, but prefer 55 grainers.<br>
    <br>
    As for recoil, cycling, etc., what can I say? It's an AR15.<br>
    <br>
    I really like this setup. I installed the EOTech for expediency. I wanted a low power scope with a lighted reticle that could be used under a full moon. I might just stick with the EOTech. I don't plan for this to be a long range coyote rifle. If I'm in open country, I'd prefer a cartridge with more oomph, like the 22-250, 243 or 25-06. I have suitable rifles in 22-250 and 25-06.<br>
    <br>
    Also tested the Hornaday TAP with my son's Savage .223 Predator Hunter. His is set up so the POI is 1" above the crosshair at 100 yards, and at 12x the POI is on the point of the lower thick duplex post at 300 yards. The Savage is a heckuva coyote rifle with good optics. I'm tempted by the newer models that have a detachable magazine. Right now I'd like a 22-250 or 243, but if Savage comes out with a 308 down the road, it would be a real universal hunting rifle.<br>
    <br>
    Anyway... we're hoping to take it to the next step this weekend, and try it on a called coyote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.