1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PICs of "Gun Doctor's" 90T... NFS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

PICs of "Gun Doctor

Doug Braker, the "Gun Doctor" from just north of the Brainard area in MN owns this gun and I thought you would like to see his imagination and creativity. I know his capability, but this singles and Hcp gun of his is close to breathtaking. Doug is north of 6'4" so that is why the gun has the gizmo to lengthen it on the end.

I thought you would enjoy seeing pics of this gun. Doug and I go back 22 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The side plates on a 90T were a brilliant idea. Engrave them, nickel them, blue them, case color, you name it and you could add it to yoru gun and personalize it. And If a standard low rib is good enough for the guy (Doug)smack in the middle of designing these guns, it should be good for a lot of other shooters.

I work hard to entertain you guys.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

PICs of

Tell us alittle about that trigger ??

3. JACK

PICs of

That last little shot of mine (re working hard for you guys) was self-serving. Sorry.

James it is just gold nitrate (or whatever yo cal that stuff)

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

PICs of

I have a Model 12 with a Laminate stock that looks like that one ... I will have to find the pictures or take a few more and send them to you MIA, you will love it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

PICs of

I have a Model 12 with a Laminate Stock on it that looks just like that color and grain wise ... The Model 12 weighs almost 10 pounds with that stock on it ... I'll have to find the pictures of it or take a few more and send them to MIA so he can post them ... Nice looking gun by the way ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. JACK

PICs of

If you look at the last pic, you see some of the prettiest case color I have ever seen. Not at all like th old style european. Almost air-brushed.

7. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

PICs of

Well done
    That is a work of art...

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

PICs of

Handsome shooter.

9. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

PICs of

Very well done, I like it.

Tom Strunk

10. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

PICs of

Thanks for the eye candy, Bruce

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

PICs of

Who made the stock? very nice piece.

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

PICs of

Let me jump in here and explain this piece of "art".(beauty is in the eye of the beholder--DB).

The wood was one of 3 samples sent to Kolar during the 90-T production. The other two laminates were of "shades of green" and "shades of black and gray). Because I shoot a gun with 1-1/2" drop at the comb, the brown laminate was what I grapped up and stashed away.

The 90-T itself, is ser.# ST00137. This is a first year production gun. It was originally put together as a demo for the late Jack Gracy. Jack ran the gun club at the Playboy Club, in Lake Geneva WI., and was the captain of the WI State Team for several years. He was also my employer for four full-time years before I went on the Kolar Arms.

Jack was a big fan of the bbl work of the late Tom Seitz. So as a favor to Jack, we bored the bbl to .742" and left .036" of choke, long forcing cone(std) and Seitz style porting.

On to the rest of the gun...

Though for most, liking the looks of a 90-T is an aquired taste. You just have to spend some time with it to know that this most unusual look, doesn't take away it's ability to break targets.

There are blued 90-Ts and many nickel plated ones, but I decided I needed some even more different, so I went forward with the case-colors. This is the bone charcoal method that Doug Turnbull uses. When I called Doug and discussed this, he did warm me that the steel used for the 90-T (4140) does not take to case-hardened colors to well. Also, I've read that 4140 really shouldn't be case hardened, because it could affect the integrity of the steel.(This I didn't know about until after-DB). Doug told me that the color just don't hold to well. I had it done anyway.

To help protect the colors, I do re-coat the colors with laquer as soon as I see it thinning or a piece of laquer has chipped off. So far, it's been close to 16 yrs and the colors have held up well.

All of the gold you see is not gold plating. Gold plating does not hold up well with the use of a weekly shooting schedule, just look at every Perazzi or Browning trigger. The process for the gold look is called titanium nitriding (abbrev..TiN coating). TiN coating can be applied to any piece of steel, and it has the appearance of 10k gold.

The engraved sideplates....well we (Kolar) had them for sale for a long time, but no one wanted them. Kolar has an "in-house" engraver. He did several different sets before coming to work at Kolar to show them as samples. Watching them lay there on a shelf collecting dust for a couple of years, I snatch them up.

Because I though that having some polished blued parts on the receiver would look nicer with the case-colors, I polished the top lever, trigger assy, and the forend assy. Having the polished top lever right away gave me a problem. It was so slick, my thumb would keep slipping off. If you look close at the left side of the top lever, you can see where the engraver cut some checkering in it for me. Not seen in the pictures is a matching engraving pattern on the top lever to match the sideplates.....he surprised me with that.

The bbl has black teflon coating. The company that applies the coating has a proprietary process for doing the insides of tubing. I may have this done with the bbl to see if it will withstand the harsh conditions of a shell being fired. It may help with the plastic sticking problem.

There you go.

One last thing, I do need to thank Jeff Mainland at Kolar Arms for letting me keep my baby with me when I left.

Doug Braker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gon doctor doug braker

gun doctor doug braker

gun dr doug braker