1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickup Tires

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by glenn mcleod, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

We all seem to have 1/2 ton trucks (mostly 4 wheel drive) that we take to shoots and we spend 98% of the time on tar,concrete or good gravel roads,has anyone tried a more common street tire thread instead of the M/S tires that come on the truck. Noise should be better, ride probably better but what about mileage, better or about the same? Glenn

2. JoeBobOutfitters

JoeBobOutfitters TS Member

I would stick with your standard M/S or equivalent tires. The tires are made for the light heavy use for payload, and the elements. If you go with any "weaker" of a tire, I would bet it'd be in a lower payload rating tire...which would defeat the purpose of the truck they are on. If properly rotated, quality BFG, Michelin, etc tires will last quite some time.

3. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Thanks, never thought about the load rating. Glenn

4. Wyogoose

Wyogoose TS Member

You can get a street or light all terrain tread in much more of a load rating than you will ever need hauling a shotgun in a 1/2 ton pickup/suv. The deciding factor is the weather you are running in. Toyo and Yokohama both make a very street tread. BFG is another. I think Cooper even has some heavier LT tires. Find a tire shop aroound your area that deals with delivery trucks (UPS FEDEX......) and over the road stuff. Even the farm coop. The guys on the corner selling the 22's to the Vato in the Ecalade with the stereo and the hydraulics will typically sell you the light tires and not have the knowledge or selection of the guys that deal with this stuff day in,day out.

I hope this helps
    Rick Young

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Buy a set of Michelin LTX A/T2 tires and you will be amazed at the quiet smooth ride. Great tire!

Jim Skeel

6. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

what skeeljc said I get around 80,000 miles out of them with only one or two rotations. Lots of highway miles.

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

If you look at the load ratings, even car tires in the sizes that fit a 1/2 ton pickup have high enough ratings. That size tire was made for Buicks, Oldsmobiles and Lincolns when they weighed 5000 plus pounds empty and were designed for 6 passengers and luggage. I ran top of the line car tires on my 1/2 ton for 200,000 plus miles. I loved the Cooper tires, 3 times. Also, as far as quieter tires, most lines of light truck tires at least from USA manufacturers have street tread as well as off road or mud and snow tread. And yes, they do ride quiet and and smooth. All those mini school buses are running around on extra heavy duty tires with long life street tred patterns, and most of them are 1 ton chassis'.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I second the MIchelins, been buying them for 40 years

9. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

The Michelins are very quiet & smooth. Although they cost more I have saved money due to how long they last as compared to some of the other brands.
    If you try them I doubt you will ever use anything else.

i_shoot

10. porky

porky TS Member

Try www.discounttires.com They send the tires by UPS directly to your home for free. Their prices are better than anyone else I have found.

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

I printed out the discount tires prices and submitted it to my Ford dealer. The dealer matched the price and did the mounting and balancing free.

Cant hurt to try that .

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If the Michelins are just a little too much $$$, may I suggest the Bridgestone Duellers. These tires are very good and so far, wearing great. I installed a set at my tire guys recommendation and he has kept a customer happy. If the truck lasts long enough (236,000 mi now), I'll put on another set when it is due.

ss

13. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I just went to the discounttires.com website and they don't ship for free, it was about fifty bucks.

14. dhip

dhip Active Member

Good year ATS on wifes 99 dodge.Looks like truck will wear out before tires the way they're wearing.put on in 2001.
    put a set on my 04 dodge 2yrs ago,no complaints yet.

15. porky

porky TS Member

I re-interate that the shipping is free. I am including the website for your inspection. It boldly states " FREE SHIPPING ". I apologize if anyone was directed to the wrong website.
    http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do
    Shoot well and often

16. atashooter

atashooter Member

I have Michelin Hwy tires on my 06 Siverado. Great for quiet smooth ride, but spins like heck in wet grass.

17. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Continental CrossContact LX...quiet and approx 40.00 chaeper per tire than Michelin's rated just as well. My .02 Larry Lockhart

18. skeezix

skeezix Member

I have BFG all-terrains on my 250. I like them so far. I ran Cooper Discovers on an Expedition for several years - load range C. I never did get 40k out of a set of tires(went through 3 sets IIRC). I think in my entire 38 years of driving I have had about 5 flat tires. 4 of them were blown sidewalls on load range C tires on my Expedition- including a set of Michelins that wore out at just under 40k.

Also, I priced the BFG's on several on-line tire stores- they were all way cheaper than what I could find in town. Until you added in the freight and the mount & balance cost that they charge full bore for if you don't buy tires from them. When I added up the costs, it was more expensive then the most expensive place in town. Where I did save though was I bought them through COSTCO - I'm not a huge COSTCO fan, but it saved me about $300 over any of the other tire shops in town.

John

19. Powerhouse

Powerhouse Member

I'd have to give the nod to Michelin, too. Best tires I ever bought. Have them on my 05 Silverado and on my Trailblazer.

20. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Glenn, I have thirty + years in the tire industry and one of the things you learn early on is that a tire is a product of comprimise. They do somethings very well and others not so much. A/T tires for light trucks and SUVs as a rule start with more tread depth than say a hyway tire. So yes they last longer but the tread desing is far noiser than the hyway tread. Ask your self the following before decidng on a tire, Is noise a factor? How much of your drivng demands an dA/T tread desing? What is the climate were you live? What kind of weight loads and how often do you carry that load? How long will you keep the vehicle? Average is 7 years at 12k a year, varies and may be a bit different now. How much do you wnat to invet retireing the car? If your doing mostly local driving a private lable prodcut may be your answer wich saves as you don't pay forallthe advertisement of thebignames.Find alocal tire dealer. If ican helpplease email me